Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Tresspassers

SWBUCKHNTR

I am shotgun hunting for the first time in about ten years. I bought a farm this year and I have no idea what goes on around the farm during shotgun hunting. I have talked to a few of the landowners around and everybody east of me north of me and south all manage but there are a lot of lenient landowners to the west and public ground to the west. The guy to the west says he lets anybody hunt and the guy I bought the farm from let anybody hunt too so I am guessing I will have 1 or 2 people walking through. What do I say to them? I do not want to make a bad name for myself but I also want people to know that they cant just hunt my farm whenever they want. What are a few ways you guys have dealt with tresspassers in the past?

Watch the farm like a hawk if you see someone down there go talk to them approach with cauction it is shotgun season after all. Ask them who they are if they are in a party and kindly ask them to leave the property. If they do hunt in a party have them tell their buddies that it is private property and they need to obey the property line. It would hurt to litter fence posts around the property with private property no tresspassing sings. Biggest thing if you run into someone just keep your cool and be smart about it you never know what the other guy with a gun can do
and good luck

Post Signs and Lock Entrances

On my new property I bought, I heard the same thing so I made signs that said:

New Ownership
No Tresspassing
(bla bla bla about 24 hr surveilance and procecution)

I put them along the roads and haven't had a problem with bowhunters so far.

All my entrances I put gates with locks on.

The key is calling out that there is no tresspassing. (I don't believe in the signs you buy in stores................people don't take them serious).

And locking up the gates.

People get that you are serious then I think.

Thanks,
Cory

I think it always helps if the county CO knows your situation ahead of time, too, and what you'll be doing when the season opens. Just in case someone decides to make a fuss. There are some bad apples out there.

I have owned mine for 3+ years and every year I have an issue. I have posted mine and it doesn't seem to help.

I also run my camera's during the gun season. That way I have a picture of them trespassing.

I have made it clear that the next one that I catch will be the example. I have contacted the local CO and he is aware.

Remember, nice guys finish last!

You need to post your land if you want to prosecute tresspassers. I have spent the better part of 13 yrs. chasing tresspassers off my land. The ones i turned into the police were suspected of stealing stands, and cameras off my land. The first question asked me each time i called was if my property was posted. I might add that it is a good way to get your camera's stolen by leaving them out during shotgun season; if you are not there to watch for tresspassers. That is how mine were stolen in the past. I guess they figure if they take the camera; you have know proof! And yes; the cameras that were stolen had cable locks. It just makes it much easier to prosecute somebody if the land is posted. Once you get rid of the bad element; other less scrupulous fellows think twice before tresspassing on your land.

sounds familiar

I've had problems every year since we purchased the farm 4 years ago with bowhunters. New signs seem to help, but have not stopped the problem. I have yet to catch someone on the cameras but find tracks in and guts every year.

Best advice I've had from others - show up unannounced around the peak rut.

Your situation may be a bit of a challenge in that you have some neighbors that are controlling their property and some that aren't. (Not to mention public ground in the area.)

If it were me I would lean towards being friendly, but firm this year, hoping that the reasonable people would kindly get the message that the farm has transitioned to a new owner and then crack down hard as necessary next year, assuming you are still concerned about trespassing next year.

There may well be some folks who have grown accustomed to hunting the farm that you bought that don't know that it has changed hands yet. I would prefer to avoid making enemies by coming on too strong right off where you don't have to. I think your presence there during the gun seasons this year is a very good idea, perhaps you could write a short note explaining the situation that could be given to those that you might see and/or left on vehicles that may end up parked on your place.

I am shotgun hunting for the first time in about ten years. I bought a farm this year and I have no idea what goes on around the farm during shotgun hunting. I have talked to a few of the landowners around and everybody east of me north of me and south all manage but there are a lot of lenient landowners to the west and public ground to the west. The guy to the west says he lets anybody hunt and the guy I bought the farm from let anybody hunt too so I am guessing I will have 1 or 2 people walking through. What do I say to them? I do not want to make a bad name for myself but I also want people to know that they cant just hunt my farm whenever they want. What are a few ways you guys have dealt with tresspassers in the past?

If you were close enough, for the chance of bowhunting it I would gladly watch it for the rest of the year, I don't mind being an ahole to trespassers. :D

And what ever you do take your trail cams out during shotgun season! I made that mistake, no problems during all of oct/nov but a week into shotgun season it was gone! Cable locked twice didnt even stop em. If they want it they'll get it.

If you were close enough, for the chance of bowhunting it I would gladly watch it for the rest of the year, I don't mind being an ahole to trespassers. :D

Well I would take you up on your offer but I am a big bow hunter too. Maybe if you want to shoot a couple coyotes or something you could watch it haha

You'll have to catch and prosecute a few people more than likely. I'll watch one side of your farm during 1st shotgun if you like, I'll even bring a few doe tags with me! ;)

Good luck.

Post it good and it will help if your there...give people a chance the first time and then press charges the second...;)

I would rather have trespassers than a third cousin by marrige that thinks it cool to hunt your grandpas now. Even though youve been hunting there by youself your whole life. You cant say no to him cause your uncle already said its fine...Idiot!

I'd be fairly descent about it the first year. I'd patrol it hard and take names or license plate numbers of everyone that tried to go through it. When the second year comes around they had their chance and would get the law involved.

You could take the other approach as my neighbor and build a reputation of yourself of being a crazy sob. I remember one day he caught two guys shotgun hunting a mile and a half back in his place and he literally confiscated their guns. He was a big man that was always armed, so I'd imagine that is how he got the guns, but anyways he took the guns and made them walk in front of his truck the whole mile and half back to to his house. He then went in and called the law and made them wait out in the rain for over an hour until the DNR got there. That was the talk in every town for miles around.

Another time another one of my buddies dad heard a guy riding a four wheeler way back in his place. This guy was a big 4-wheeler racer and is hard wired for speed. He caught the guy out in an open field where the guy tried to ride away from him but he quickly caught up to him and as he rode right next to him he simply reached over and pulled the key out of the 4-wheeler when they were going about 45mph. He then drove straight back the house without saying a word. About an hour later the guy came walking up to the house looking for his key since he had a 5000 dollar four wheeler sitting out in my buddies field. That was quite the talk of the area as well. He never had a problem since.

Goodluck!!

Liv4Rut said -
You could take the other approach as my neighbor and build a reputation of yourself of being a crazy sob. I remember one day he caught two guys shotgun hunting a mile and a half back in his place and he literally confiscated their guns. He was a big man that was always armed, so I'd imagine that is how he got the guns, but anyways he took the guns and made them walk in front of his truck the whole mile and half back to to his house. He then went in and called the law and made them wait out in the rain for over an hour until the DNR got there. That was the talk in every town for miles around.

Funny but a good way to get yourself killed.

Top Bottom