Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey disease study

Rjack

A reminder for all successful turkey hunters. The DNR is asking for assistance in this study by sending in the lower leg of any turkey harvested.

https://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/Turkey-Hunting?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery

The link above has a couple videos on the process as well as the link to request a mailing envelope.

Basically the process is:
1) cut one of the lower legs at the joint where feathers turn to scales
2) Wrap the top of the leg in a paper towel
3) Place the leg in a freezer bag and freeze it
4) Request the mailing envelope - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSePEBR5CHirpQFiEGqHVzEYQgU1BSTMA1O4Zq7YLJJ0X-NZBw/viewform
5) fill out the form and mail it in

It sounds like if you want to keep the spur, you can cut just above the spur and send in the leg without the foot and spur.

I have no idea. Jim Coffey, the biologist, has his number listed in one of the links and would be able to tell you. 641-774-2958

Thanks Rjack, I gave a couple calls to no avil. My sister is trying to chop her first turkey's head off so if we manage to do that I will make sure to freeze that one.

Thanks Rjack, I gave a couple calls to no avil. My sister is trying to chop her first turkey's head off so if we manage to do that I will make sure to freeze that one.
Looks like you might have been OK based on what I received today. It says fresh or frozen are OK, but not to leave in excessive heat. Here are the instructions that came with the envelope to send it back.
4a7e37b49e27868cc08baf6be8baf0d9.jpg
3778bdbf6fc00c4c5325f15bb9e1ea98.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Sooo...what's next? Are the turks going to have to shelter in place now? :) :)

Seriously though, I hope that they can figure something out. It would really be nice to get back to some good turkey populations.

Thank you Rjack, my sister just about had one to send in today. Like to help where I can.

LOL Daver have had a flock that I think decided to shelter in place the last 3 days.

Top Bottom