Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Turkey Season Recap

Liv4Rut

Hey guys, just thought I would share my stories. The last time I tried I couldn't post photos for some reason.

Opening day started with a hunt with my buddy Scott. I had a bow and he had a gun. We were set up in a secluded alfalfa field surrounded by timber. A lot of gobbling in the morning but all the birds flew to the field south of the timber. A few jakes came into our set up but no long beards. We decided to go to another spot.

We drove around awhile and finally settled on another spot about 10:30am. It was pretty hot that day and I felt like it wouldn't be too productive but might as well try. In the parking lot I let out a crow call and two birds lit up not too far way. We loaded up my stroller and walked about a half mile to where we would set up in another alfalfa field. I just popped up the blind when scott said get down, two birds in the field. I looked over and there they were about 300 yards away.

There was a little hill between us and them so I belly crawled out and set up decoys while he threw stuff in the blind. I figured the birds saw us so wasn't too worried. When I looked again they were only about 150 yards away and coming fast.

The next five minutes was a blur as we tried to set up with everything thrown in the blind. The birds were all the sudden on top of us and I was struggling to find my release. I finally got it on and it was go time as the birds were coming in fast to the DSD jake 30 yards out and closing fast.

I pulled back and smoked the lead bird and he came crashing into the blind. The other bird went out and stopped at 30 yards for a slam dunk shot for Scott. A double was pulled and we weren't even in the blind 5 minutes. It was nuts and awesome!!

982-_896158.jpg

The second bird I went and hunted with my good buddy Fred. We set up in the morning and literally had birds everywhere. We figured it would be a slam dunk right away but as the birds flew down nothing came to the food plot we were in. We were both pretty shocked but new patience would be key. About an hour later a hen came into the plot and a while later a few birds were gobbling their heads off and getting closer.

Finally 3 long beards were in the plot and coming fast. They were in the decoys for a bit when Fred smacked one of the birds and as the other ones ran a bit and stopped to figure out what was going on I shot another one. Both birds were hit hard with arrows and it wasn't too long and we had another double. I had to shoot mine again but I don't believe he would have gone too far as he had a broken leg and huge hole in his chest.

It was a great time with a great friend. That is my turkey season in a nut shell. Short but sweet with two doubles with two good friends!
982-img_20160506_084010972.jpg

Top Bottom