Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

turnip time

J

jdavis

I planted a couple acres of turnips last week before the heavy rains. I was worried that the rain might wash the seed away. I checked on it last night and there coming up. When do you plant turnips???? I was thinking if I planted them early the deer would eat them down too fast, there would'nt be anything left for the season. So I planted them 1st week of August. Hope this works out for.

I was wondering the same thing. Here at work we planted 240 acres for a farmer to be used as cattle feed this fall and winter. When we cleaned out our machine I got about 5 pounds of seed and thought about planting them in a couple of spots. I guess right now is the time to plant them huh? Anyone with experience planting turnips have any advice?

I have some friends who planted them early last year and by the time hunting season came about the turnips were gone. I've decided to plant them late, first of August.

Hunted over a field of turnips last season that was planted for the farmers cattle,but I think the deer thought it was for them. Never seen anything like it...don't even waste my time now when talking to other guys about the number of deer I watched in and around that field.

Planted about 2 acres of oats mixed with turnips on the 23rd of Aug. Had good rain within a few days and things are coming up and looking awesome. This borders two sides of a 2 acre bean field that will be left standing throughout the fall. This area will be surrounded by 22 acres of harvested beans, which is surrounded by timber on 3 sides. Hope it works.

Top Bottom