Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

types of slugs

Hillwalker

Question: I shoot a Winchester 1300 W\rifled barrel. I have been shooting Winchester rifled
slugs not the high dollar ones but the basic rifled ones. The questions is,is it O.K. to shoot rifled slugs through a rifle barrel or do they counter act with each other. I have been told you should only shoot rifled slugs through a smooth bore barrel. That doesn,t sound right to me. Can someone set the record straight for me. Thanks. P.S. Is it worth the money to go to the higher priced Partition GOLD slugs and would I need to scope the gun.

Hillwaker, the big question is how well does your gun shoot these slugs. If you can hit a paper plate 5 for 5 at 75 yards you should have no problems. For years I have used Brenneke rifled slugs in a Hastings rifled barrel and can hit playing cards at 75 yards. You might try a box of the partition golds to see how they shoot. I haven't used them but have used the gold in my Knight rifle with wonderful results. Good luck this weekend!

I have always shot rifled slugs through my smoothbore slug guns and have gotten really good results with them, but I would not shoot them through a rifled bore eventhough you can. I know that if I would ever upgrade to a rifled barrel, I would defineately get some sabots. You might as well get the best potential out of that rifled barrel and put a scope on as well. My dad has a Mossberg with a rifled barrel with a 1.5-4 scope that really likes Remington Copper Solids. I use cheap winchester super X slugs out of my 20 gauge smoothbore, and Remington Slugger slugs out of my 12 gauge smoothbore slug gun. Good luck and good hunting! I will be out this weekend looking for a nice one!

-GunnerJon

Gunnerjon, I quess if I would have known better I would not have used the rifled slugs. It has about 25 through it. Do you guys think it is too late, can I get the lead out of the groves? Can you check it by looking down the barrell? I think I'll switch to sabots before this weekend. Thanks for the answers.

Hillwalker,
It's not too late and you haven't permanently damaged the barrel. The majority of the slug barrels never get cleaned from one season to the next. Start running a brush and solvent down the tube and you'll quickly see long slivers of lead coming out. Rifled slugs work best in smooth bore (cylinder choked) barrels.

Hillwalker,
Tried the Partitions this year and like them. Shot Hornadays the last few years but they quit making the one I liked so started looking for something new. Also tried Lightfields but am not satisfied with them yet but a lot of guys like them. I shoot a fully rifled Marlin Slugmaster bolt action 12 gauge. with a 3x9 Leupold. I hunt alone and just sit so I like to have as much range as I can get. Consider your style of hunting if you're thinking about a scope. Most of my shots are standing or walking so can get by with a higher power scope.

The Partitions gave me roughly a 4" group with 6 shots at 100 yards. I had shot a few more that were outside of that, but not far and they were my fault. One more thing you will know when you pulled the trigger, they'll rock your world. I am using the 2 3/4".

A couple years ago I was looking into buying a Tar Hunt slug gun and in talking to the man that makes them he said that your will get better groups with 2 3/4 than 3". He said that the shorter wad column is an advantage and if he had his way there would be even shorter slug sheels. If you're interested in paterning slugs check out his website, I believe it's www.tarhunt.com This fella knows slugs.

Allamakee Grand Slam

You've got a chore ahead of you for cleanup...the rifled slug without sabot going down a rifled barrel is shaving lead and filling the grooves of the barrel. This may work for a few rounds but as the grooves begin to build up with lead the accuracy and consistentcy is lost.

A lot of hunters try to save a few dollars on the saboted ammo and pay for it later trying to get the lead cleaned out. You may have to use used several brushes, some lead removing solvents, and "Outers Foulout" system to get it all......Good Luck

I shoot a remington 870 with the combo 18 inch smooth bore barrel and fiochi 2 3/4 slugs,2.49 a box!
I just put a b-square mount and a BSA 4 power scope. I shot the gun a couple of weeks ago and have 4 to 5 inch patterns off a solid rest at 100 yards. This is the best slug shooting gun I have ever had. I had shot almost every rifled slug you could find before finding this combo and there is really not another accurate shooting bullet for the gun besides the one I shoot. Just goes to show some guns like certain bullets.

Rembrant, Thanks for the info, Last night I took a new steel brush and a good solvent to it. The rifling looked good. The only thing I got out of it was a lot of black resin looking stuff that you would normally get when cleaning a barrell. No lead was evident so maybe I am O.K. I bought some sabots and will try to site it in tonight. I have always cleaned the gun after each hunt so perhaps no lead has built up. Thanks again.

I ain't the bright when it comes to ballastics, trouble is, my eyes glaze over when it comes ot most of it. that whole ADD thing.

My question is this: Shooting my rifled Reminton 870 do you gain much (other than a sore shoulder) by switching to 3 inch over 2 & 3/4?

The groups seem a little tighter with the 3's, but so far I haven't been able to justify the blamo that comes with it.

Some reference points would be cool. Thanks!

Rembrandt, I'm curious about this lead shaving problem you talked about. Another person called Shilo on the NAHC board talked about the same thing. I don't know the twist rate of most slug barrels but would guess with that large and heavy slug that it would be some thing arround 1in 38 or 40 inches. I would think that this would be necessary for the 1200 to 1300 fps of the foster type slugs. Wouldn't these speeds and velosities be slow enought for the hollow skirt of the slug to fill the rifling. I know my old muzzle loader needs a 1 in 48 twist to shoot heavy lead conical bullets at 1600 fps and it doesn't shave lead. I am not saying that you are wrong about this but it doesn't make sense to me. I know that rifled slug barrels were arround for 15 or 20 years before saboted slugs came on the market and there wasn't anything but foster type slugs. I am just a little confused.

Top Bottom