Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Update on Wisconsin shed hunters in Alberta

N

Northern Whitetails

I had the pleasure of spending the last couple of days with a great group of shed hunters from Cottage Grove, Wisconsin.

DC-Iowa and a few others know them so I thought I'd give you an update on their first 2 days in Alberta. These are the highlights, there were many smaller sheds found!

The first day, Julie Sims picked up a great looking matched set from a 3 1/2 year old buck that would score 135, and her better half J.W. found a good 5-point with a kicker on the G2. Later that afternoon Brian Korfmacher found a single side that scores 72 inches, and has a split brow tine, a great looking shed from a 160 class whitetail.

On the same property, J.W. and Julie scoured an old slough and found several old sheds, including a 60+ 4-point with a 25 inch main beam, and a neat looking non-typical shed.

The next morning found us looking for the match to Brian's 72 incher, and it took less than an hour for Julie to find it. With a broken brow tine and main beam, it would score over 10 inches less, but we were very happy to complete the set. Here's a picture of Brian and Julie with both sides to a great whitetail. In our opinion, these sheds were on the ground for a year.

korfandtubby.jpg

On Thursday afternoon, Shelley Atzen scooped all of the hard-core shed hunters and found a shed that we all dream about. With 6 typical points and 2 stickers, this outstanding Alberta whitetail shed scores 81 inches. With an inside spread of 20 inches, this whitetail would score 182 Pope and Young. This shed had also been on the ground for a year, and was in absolutely perfect condition. The picture does not do this shed justice, it's one of the best looking sheds I've seen in a long time.

shedhuntershelley.jpg

We spent the morning today looking for the other side, but it didn't show up. We'll be back in that area, and I'll let you all know if we find the match.

With family commitments during the Easter holidays, I was only able to spend 2 days with these guys and gals, and it was a great time. Jeff Lander is shed hunting with them until Saturday, so there will definitely be more big sheds to tell you about.

Here's a pic from the first 2 days, taken this morning. I believe the total count so far is 38. By the way, that's a 160 class whitetail that Jesse's holding, it was found dead in the same bush as Shelley's 81 incher.

cottagegrovecrew.jpg

Good luck to Jeff, Jesse, Sarah, J.W., Julie, Chris, Shelley, and Brian during the rest of the week! Thanks to all, it was a great time!

Top Bottom