Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

video taping hunts

Tomo

How many here video tape their hunts? I'm thinking about giving it a try. Any tips? Suggestions for equipment?

I have been videoing my hunts with a buddy of mine for 5 years now, and the best thing I can tell ya is have patience! Another guy and a camera in the tree with ya ads a hole new twist on whitetail hunting. We like to hang two stands in the tree, with the camera man slightly higher than the hunter so he doesnt get in the way but close enough to be able to communicate with each other. It can be a lot of fun and you have the proof to back those hunting stories up! Hope this helps EJBuck

I have carried a camera to my stand for four years now, and would not leave home without it. I have some great footage of bucks I have passed and bucks I would have love to come closer, three 150" plus deer in three years, and several above 125' status. It has become a part of my hunting expereince that I will never give up. If the chance to video comes along believe me it is almost as fun as the actual Kill. When by your self, there is a balance that needs to be learned as to when to pick up the camera and when not to, you have to be carefull. I assure you it is as addicting as hunting itself. It also may remind you of the buck still out there all summer long, not just through a shed, but through your own experience. Memories are everything, but they cannot be shared, video can, (helps to verify your fish story as well.) Try it, you will like it.
Committed

Committed brings up lots of good points. Many aspects of video have also been discussed in past threads. Do a search on 'video' to find them.

Like committed said it is addicting. I might get a bow shot at a buck I want to take every 30-50 hunts but I shoot bucks on tape almost every hunt. I'd almost rather forget to carry my bow than to forget the video camera.

Watching old tapes is great for studying deer behaviors, practicing judging scores, aging bucks on the hoof, sharing with friends, watching while on the tread mill and more.

The tapes came in very handy when I started getting my kids into hunting. We'd discuss how to tell if the deer were suspicious or calm, when to take the shot, shot placement, good shooting angles, which deer to shoot and which to pass.

If you think it is fun to come back and tell your friends what you've seen imagine how much fun you can have showing them what you saw.

One of the best things about video is it is so easy to capture memories and bring back special moments that get foggy as 'old timers disease' starts to set in.

The main point is get a camera and start carrying it!

Top Bottom