Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wanting to get into traditional archery.

DLO

Hey guys, I've always been a "new tech" sort of archer....always bought the cutting edge stuff, always tried to break the sound barrier with my arrows.

The older I get, the more I think about "how it used to be done" rather than "what's coming next." What stick bows have you guys had luck with? I'm more interested in recurves due to the shorter over all length, making blind hunting a little easier.

We have some of the most knowledgeable traditionalists around. Several make their own bows and some have some awesome links to get you the information you may need. They will fill this post with a flurry of information for us.....I mean you.
blush.gif

There are lots of good bowyers out there. It's probably the best market traditional archery has ever seen. The nice thing is that you will be able to find a bow that fits "you", not just in specs, but as a person. The designs and craftsmanship are at an all time high. I'd suggest shooting as many bows as you can before you buy. I know that isn't always easily possible, but it is the best route.

One thing I would ask you to take major consideration over is buying a bow in moderate poundage. So many folks don't see their true potential with trad equipement because they can't control their bows. A moderate weight, say 50 - 57lbs will allow you to learn good form and shooting habits without having to struggle. There's no reason not to be able to shoot baseball sized groups out to 30 yards if your set up right and practice good shooting habits. Don't worry about having enough power to kill, it's there. My bows range from 50 - 57lbs and I would say 99% of my whitetails have had complete pass throughs.

Ok, as far as bows go, I've seen arguments start over which are better. There are many good ones out there, but I will only recommend the ones I have had a fair amount of experience with. Martin one piece recurves, Wes Wallace takedown recurves and Black Widow bows. I wouldn't be afraid to purchase any of these again.

I currently only shoot Widows. Reason being, precise craftsmanship, shootability, durability (epoxy finish), and second to none customer service. They make a model of bow to fit any hunting need. They've been crafting bows since 1957 and look to be around for a long time. All that adds up to confidence for me and confidence is huge.

Black Widow has a video called "Tour and Tuning". It is a great video that covers a HUGE amount of specifics on picking a bow, setting them up, tuning (bareshaft) arrows and barebow / instinctive shooting among much more info. It's a great video that can help anyone, whether buying a Widow or other.

Tour and Tuning

Hey, good for you! Now you have the the agonizing 10 - 12 week WAIT.
crazy.gif
Well worth it though.

Now if we can just get Rudd pull'n a stick.
grin.gif

I talked to Roger at Black Widow today and changed my order around a little. I switched it to an SAII 60inches, 52#@29in. He said it should take 6 weeks.
peace.gif

SIX WEEKS , your a lucky man. I don't think I've seen any of my bows less than 10.
smirk.gif

You can't go wrong with either model. The SA III was my first one and I'll never part with it.

I own the older MAIII 54 @ 30 62", It has been a deer killing machine. Sweet bows!!! You will love it. If you need any other input don't be afraid to ask.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
SIX WEEKS , your a lucky man. I don't think I've seen any of my bows less than 10.
smirk.gif

You can't go wrong with either model. The SA III was my first one and I'll never part with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was suprized as well. Roger said he's been telling people 8-10 weeks but they have been shipping then in 6 lately. Sooner the better!

DOR, Thanks man, I'll probably be looking you up after the bow gets here.

Top Bottom