Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

War on coyotes!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I think we got maybe 15 before I took off for the weekend. Got the update on “6 more”. It’s war folks. WAR!!! Worst I’ve ever seen it- EVER!!!
25+ Traps that are super easy to set & check. Then hunting them with AR & shotgun. I’m learning from far smarter & more experienced people…. They are “making the complex simple”!!! I’m not saying it can be “solved” but hitting them hard during fawning season AND hitting them Oct through February is absolutely critical if u have any amount of time to spare (traps or snares being the ticket IMO).
sick of them running down BUCKS coming out of the rut or finding the scraps of fawns all spring/summer. This war will be long & likely without end but it’s on!!!!
EDB86BB8-7427-4850-8D97-7CB4B323AA0C.jpeg

I’m a newbie. Was out tonight with a caller, but unsuccessful at calling any in. I’m sure their howling as I left the farm was them laughing.

What’s the best resources have you guys found for learning how to call/trap/snare?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill and kill some more, there will always be more to shoot.

This year I have an overflow of bobcats compared to coyotes.

I’m a newbie. Was out tonight with a caller, but unsuccessful at calling any in. I’m sure their howling as I left the farm was them laughing.

What’s the best resources have you guys found for learning how to call/trap/snare?

Same here!! New to me. Get someone who knows it to show you.
It took me 2 hours of setting traps with him. Then one evening going out calling with thermal stuff. So- call it “4 hours total” & I feel like I have the basics to kill em!!

The

The Iowa Trappers Association would be an option, and would welcome new members I'm sure.

Don’t overthink it is the best advice I can give when it comes to trapping yotes. Still trying to convince Skip to give me full access to run the full trap line on the farm. ;).

Don’t overthink it is the best advice I can give when it comes to trapping yotes. Still trying to convince Skip to give me full access to run the full trap line on the farm. ;).

I gave full coyote rights to Deerman54!!! :p:cool::D
Man I hate those things!!!! Here’s some #’s for you guys…. Buddy shot 21 off my home farm in like “2-3 weeks”??? He went this am…. Called in 7 & got 2. Went to different spot & called in 5-6. 3rd spot he had 2 groups of 5-8 each. I asked him “how Frigin many are out there & ur sure they not the same group right?” He said “who knows. Countless!!! 10000% they were different coyotes. Still infested bad!!” I’ve never seen coyote #’s like this in my life.

The

The Iowa Trappers Association would be an option, and would welcome new members I'm sure.
Snoop around on the Trapperman archives or Iowa Trapper Talk forums. Trapperman has some national legends on there but it has become more of a good ol boys club as of late. ITT is full of helpful people and lots of people who stack fur

I gave full coyote rights to Deerman54!!! :p:cool::D
Man I hate those things!!!! Here’s some #’s for you guys…. Buddy shot 21 off my home farm in like “2-3 weeks”??? He went this am…. Called in 7 & got 2. Went to different spot & called in 5-6. 3rd spot he had 2 groups of 5-8 each. I asked him “how Frigin many are out there & ur sure they not the same group right?” He said “who knows. Countless!!! 10000% they were different coyotes. Still infested bad!!” I’ve never seen coyote #’s like this in my life.

You’ll never kill enough to notice a difference. Just how it works. The more you kill the bigger the litter sizes are in the spring. Not only that but there’s so many that there is a typical territorial pair for a certain range and there’s constantly others roaming trying to find their own territories. Guy I know caught 27 on a 40 acre piece in 2 weeks. Wide open ag field with a small waterway is all.

You’ll never kill enough to notice a difference. Just how it works. The more you kill the bigger the litter sizes are in the spring. Not only that but there’s so many that there is a typical territorial pair for a certain range and there’s constantly others roaming trying to find their own territories. Guy I know caught 27 on a 40 acre piece in 2 weeks. Wide open ag field with a small waterway is all.

Talk about some fun tho.

I get the whole other's will take their place , but the dead ones aren't a threat anymore, a coyote killed today won't be eating veal venison in May

I get the whole other's will take their place , but the dead ones aren't a threat anymore, a coyote killed today won't be eating veal venison in May
A local sheep farmer once told me he would not kill coyotes around his place unless they were causing problems . Reason being, if the resident coyotes weren't sheep killers, he didn't want to replace them with potential sheep killers. I guess it's a devil you know type of thing.
I hunt and trap coyotes for fun, I don't think I'm changing anything by doing it.

Skip it sounds like you need to make a couple bait stations and set a bunch of snares. Hunting will get some but trapping or snaring would do the most good.
A group with a good pack of hounds can put the hurt on them too, especially in deep snow. I had neighbors that ran hounds for several years and they cut the population way back. I rarely see or hear them the last few years around home, the only one I saw this fall I shot from the house.

A local sheep farmer once told me he would not kill coyotes around his place unless they were causing problems . Reason being, if the resident coyotes weren't sheep killers, he didn't want to replace them with potential sheep killers. I guess it's a devil you know type of thing.
I hunt and trap coyotes for fun, I don't think I'm changing anything by doing it.
I like trying things folks call impossible…. Example…. So infested with coons “never get ahold of them”…. Raccoons are officially EXTINCT in my area ;). I’m dead serious- I haven’t seen or got a pic of a single one in a long time!!!
The farm is surrounded with foot traps & scent/bait for coyotes. It’s not bullet proof but any “new” coyote that comes around…. If he stays out of about 30 traps- he might live for a while. The ones that make it hopefully will get roasted. Some may liken it to the Vietnam war but I’m never quitting!!! Napalm & Agent Orange are next in the Arsenal!!!!

I like trying things folks call impossible…. Example…. So infested with coons “never get ahold of them”…. Raccoons are officially EXTINCT in my area ;). I’m dead serious- I haven’t seen or got a pic of a single one in a long time!!!
The farm is surrounded with foot traps & scent/bait for coyotes. It’s not bullet proof but any “new” coyote that comes around…. If he stays out of about 30 traps- he might live for a while. The ones that make it hopefully will get roasted. Some may liken it to the Vietnam war but I’m never quitting!!! Napalm & Agent Orange are next in the Arsenal!!!!

I think it’s definitely something you can see results with. The land mass you’re removing predators from is larger than most people, which will produce much better results for you. Someone on 100 acres isn’t going to get nearly the same result.

Granted it’ll be a never ending process as more move in from other areas…that’s part of the fun tho!

I think it’s definitely something you can see results with. The land mass you’re removing predators from is larger than most people, which will produce much better results for you. Someone on 100 acres isn’t going to get nearly the same result.

Granted it’ll be a never ending process as more move in from other areas…that’s part of the fun tho!

We got about 3-4 neighbors on board too. So- even if “10 don’t do a thing” …. Having 4-5 of us running traps (which doesn’t take long now that they are all set up…. Just check, shoot & re-bait as needed ….. very little time or cost)…. Team effort is gonna help a lot.

Im personally convinced these coyotes are running deer down & killing a lot. I also believe they do kill bucks that are worn down from rut or show slightest battle injury. Might try to do a “go fund me” for a helicopter with thermal & a mini gun.

Top Bottom