Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

watering food plot?

vrod

Has anyone ever watered they're food plot?
Would it be a waste of time since it takes like 6000 gallons to equal 1/4 inch of rain on 1 acre?

I have thought about this a couple of times, but I really think we are at the mercy of the rain. It would take quite an operation to water a foodplot.

But...I do have a pump AND a pond next to one of my plots...hmmmm... :D

I have the pond/pump/water tank. Just not sure if makes sense. My field that is going to be brassica mix is hard as rock. Ran the disc over it and barely cut 2" deep. If nothing else, would it make sense to water after I cultipack new seed to promote germination? I was just considering watering my clover that is burning up.

I have the pond/pump/water tank. Just not sure if makes sense. My field that is going to be brassica mix is hard as rock. Ran the disc over it and barely cut 2" deep. If nothing else, would it make sense to water after I cultipack new seed to promote germination? I was just considering watering my clover that is burning up.
I think unless you soak the ground deep, you will only encourage germination then the plants will die when the roots hit dry soil below. You would need to continue to water.

I think unless you soak the ground deep, you will only encourage germination then the plants will die when the roots hit dry soil below. You would need to continue to water.

I agree. I put in a plot screen a little over a week ago when rain was in the forecast for the following day. It did rain...about 2 tenths of an inch. Just enough to germinate, and now it's frying in the hot/dry days. Would've been much better off if the seed had just laid in dry soil waiting for a good rain.

NWBuck

I just finished put together a system to water part of my food plots. I was able to round up over 700 ft of hose from farm sales and also given some. I had to purchase several new ends to fix hoses as well as buy a high output sprinkler and a 1/2 horse pump but water is being poured to my alfalfa/clover and corn that is tassled out and putting on ears. In all I have about 250.00 in it not counting the water.

I figured if I had the means I was going to do the best I could to get my corn to have a yield as it is looking great despite the dry/hot weather but with no rain for the past couple weeks and none in the forcast I wanted to get the ears filling. I am hoping that I will only have to water it once and then rain will come in the next 10 days or I will do it all over again.

My wife really thinks I am crazy and had a few choice words for me especially since she was worried about me being in the heat all day till about an hour ago.:)

They did this in one of the new Drury videos this year... Used a nurse truck with a suction pump on it and put the suction end in a pond that was close to a plot and then watered away... I think it would be a pain in the rear if you didn't have a good water source nearby though... but for small plots, you may be able to go to a local coop and enlist them to do it for you with one of their trucks... just make sure they clean the chemical out of it first (actually, if it's the right chemical left, you may get a little bit of benefit out of that also)

I think its 27,800 gallons to make 1 inch of rain on a acre of ground Its just below 30,000 gallon thats just a crazy amount of water . I wonder where they use center pivots how many gallons they use on a corn field a yr.

Well that was a joke. Used a 300 gallon water tank and did not make a dent. If a guy could just run pump/hose direct it could work. But hauling it from the pond via a tank is a waste of time and effort.

Well that was a joke. Used a 300 gallon water tank and did not make a dent. If a guy could just run pump/hose direct it could work. But hauling it from the pond via a tank is a waste of time and effort.

Yes, but now you are a little wiser. :D It is daunting to think of how much water there is in an inch of rain. I am still considering the "pump and a pond" myself. But wouldn't you know it...my only foodplot that is doing well in this drought is the one that is next to the pond! :(

It is daunting to think of how much water there is in an inch of rain.

Everytime I think about how much water an inch of rain is
I kind of shake my head in disbelief.

And to think we are way below normal for the year. It makes you wonder about how much rain it will take to get back to normal? :confused:

Who would think you had to irrigate food plots in Iowa? Last fall was no better on mine. It took from early Sept to almost Nov, to get a stand of just winter wheat. Finally it came up, and the does did use it in Nov. Suspect this fall will be the same. Weather Pattern still basically the same..

Top Bottom