Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Watering hole

For anyone that has or is thinking about adding a watering hole/pond as an attraction to a stand location, what is your opinion on minimum size and depth? Flexible liner (i.e. plastic/vinyl sheeting, tarp) or solid tank/pool? Thanks!

I used a skidsteer to make one at my last farm. It was probably about 20’ long, 6 or 7’ wide, and about 3.5’ deep. The deer used it pretty well, but i never witnessed (in person or trail cam) any bucks getting completely in it to cool off during the rut like i had been told.

Same here, dug one with skidloader, Currently probably 5' deep and plenty big for a watering hole. Didnt line it with anything yet, we'll see how it holds water this fall.
Last year it was pretty dry and never got a ton of use but it has plenty of water now and has deer on it daily.
1651175314430.png

PICT1592.JPG
PICT0195.JPG
PICT1495.JPG

A water hole was a game changer at my place. These are pictures of the first year I put it in. A drought year around here.
I love sitting in the water hole stand on a warm sunny day late November!

Are you guys not concerned with these being a breeding ground for EHD?
I have thought about it...but my "watering hole" pond has fairly steep banks and therefore, even in drought conditions, there isn't a lot of exposed mud. I have certainly had drought over the years, but have yet to detect where we have lost much due to EHD. So I am aware, but not overly concerned.

Top Bottom