Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weed spray for legumes?

Old Buck

Life Member
I was just reading about a weed spray called Slay sold by the Whitetail Institute that they say will kill a variety of weeds but not hurt their legumes or some food plot species. Here is what they say...

Slay the Broadleaf Weeds in Your Food Plot
Slay herbicide was developed by the Whitetail Institute to help control broadleaf weeds. Like grasses, broadleaf weeds come in many shapes and forms, both perennials and annuals. Thistles, dock weed and ragweed are examples of broadleaf weeds that can damage or even destroy food plots. Broadleaf weeds, like grasses, can spread quickly and take valuable moisture and nutrients from the soil. They can also damage food plots by shading out the desired forages. This is especially true when the plantings are young. Slay herbicide effectively controls broadleaf weeds while not harming Imperial Whitetail Clover or Alfa-Rack and many other food plot plantings.

Here is the link for more details, http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/products/herbicides/

Anyone know anything about this? Looks useful but the stuff they supply is expensive.

Old Buck

I have used it on our Imperial Clover plots and it did work very well.
Took care of the weed problem that were starting to come into play.

May want to check the prices of other trade names- I got this from a toxnet site.

Imazethapyr is an imidazole compound used as a selective herbicide. It is applied preplant incorporated, preemergence, at cracking, and postemergence. The compound controls weeds by reducing the levels of three branched-chain aliphatic amino acids, isoleucine, leucine and valine, through the inhibition of aceto-hydroxyacid synthase, an enzyme common to the biosynthetic pathway for these amino acids. This inhibition causes a disruption in protein synthesis which, in turn, leads to an interference in DNA synthesis and cell growth. The compound is used to control grasses and broadleaved weeds including barnyardgrass, crabgrass, cocklebur, panicums, pigweeds, nightshade, mustard, smartweed, velvetleaf, jimsonweed, foxtails, seedling johnsongrass, lambsquarters, morningglory and others. Tolerant crops include soybeans, peanuts, dry and edible beans, peas, alfalfa and imidazolinone resistant/tolerant corn.

Trade names for products containing imazethapyr include Contour, Hammer, Overtop, Passport, Pivot, Pursuit, Pursuit Plus, and Resolve

From-
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/haloxyfop-methylparathion/imazethapyr-ext.html

Just a ?? here as I'm no expert, my dad may be better suited to answer. If grazing is your desired goal, is spraying a wise idea? Here we use pursuit for pea crops and chickpea crops etc... but they are grwon as a cash crop, not for grazing. Other legumes like alfalfa that are grown for feed and or grazing are left alone b/c of the possible adverse effects. If you spray your plot for broadleaf weed conrol and a deer comes by 30 mins. later and chows down, what are the effects? That is why cattle guys here just leave their legume forage crops alone.

I just bought a 2.5 gallon jug of Poast Plus. It is labeled for spraying clover and alfalfa and is supposed to kill the grass. Kind of pricy at $120 but it will spray 6-10 acres depending on rate used. I plan on putting it down in a few days, I'll try to remember to let you know how it works. If all goes as planned, I can rescue some clover plots from being overcome with grass and not have to tear them up and reseed.

Not sure if this tip is well known, I'm sure it is. Here, when we seed large alfalfa field for hay land we overseed it with oats. They are a fast growing crop that quickly fill in the areas not inhabited by new alfalfa. Before is mature it is then swathed and baled just like alfalfa. It provides good cover while allowing the alfalfa to spread out and it seems to keep the weeds way down.

The Poast Plus should work well on larger grass we use it when spraying soybeans late in the season, you just need to use a little crop oil with it. Good idea on seeding oats as a cover before the alfalfa. When my farmers plant new seeded waterways i have them do the same thing.

Thanks for all the feedback. I have used Post Plus and at other times Select to control grasses in legumes with good results. It is the broadleaf weeds I'm dealing with now. Has anyone used Slay on legumes other than Imperial Clover?

Slay and Pursuit have the same active ingredient. I checked with the guy I buy most of my chemicals from and he quoted me a price of $15.48 per acre at a recommended rate of 1.44 ounces per acre for Pursuit. He looked up its use on Alfalfa. He said it was a very good product. I haven't used it but may try it. There are some restrictions on when you should appy it.

A little research showed me that the active ingredient of Slay is imazethapyr which is believe is the same as Pursuit. While I was at it I looked up Arrest and it is the same chemical as Poast. I have a call in to my Chemical guy to get me a bottle of Pursuit to spray my clover now (the Poast plus went down earlier today)

Great minds think alike - I was doing my research while Postman beat me to getting it posted first.

Welcome aboard Poastman - Glad you picked out your username and signed up so you could chat with us.

Pursuit is a good choice for Alfalfa and soybeans. Some weeds have become immuned to it. It is good to use it on smaller weeds and use a surfactant or crop oil.

Old Buck,
Is the slay only effective on Imperial clover or all clover seed? I'm curious because I am having some issues with broadleaf's as well.

Good post bye the way!

BT

Slay is fine to use on any clover/alfalfa, not just Imperial Products. I use 24-b and it wipes out broadleafs in a week without harming my clover/alfalfa. Whatever you guys decide to use, just make sure you follow the label to a "T." And try not to spray if it is really hot and humid cause the broadleafs will shut down and the spray will not effect them as well.
You will also want to use a sticker too.

Lastly, a lot of clover and alfalfa seed is being mixed in with chicory, which is dynomite for deer. Remember that if your plot has chicory you cannot spray a broad leaf herbicide as it will smoke the chicory!! In that case, I would simply recommend spraying a grass herbicide like Poast, Select or even Arrest...wait 2 weeks then mow the plot close to the ground(6 inches). Arrest is the same product as Poast and Select...just has a Whitetail Institute Lable and the price is jacked up. 24-b is about $135 bucks per 2.5 gallon jug....which is the only way I know it is sold...it will go a long, long way!! But again, read the lable carefully cause I have seen a many great food plot get SMOKED by a poor application rate.....it only takes a few extra ounces to ruin your efforts....or a miscalculated application rate.

I recently converted a logging staging area in the woods into a food plot. I had always been leary of putting food plots in the woods, simply because of the lack of sunlight issue. This one, however, was perfect. It gets at least 7 hours of direct light per day. I planted this one in Monster Mix, by Tecomate(my favorite food plot company). I do not have a broadleaf problem and my grasses were minimal. I just sprayed for grasses last week and they are browning up nice at the moment. Word of advice: I did a soil sample on this site....it read 5.0, which is poor and called for 2 ton of lime. And it called for 500 lb of 8-24-24. So, I bottom plowed the ground as best I could, disced over and over. Had Southern States custom mix the lime/fertilizer and I broadcast the entire deal in this one acre plot. Then, disced that in, broadcast the seed and roll-packed behind it. I did this the second week of April and take a look at the pix below! My point for sharing this is because if you want to do the food plots right, you HAVE TO FOLLOW THE SOIL SAMPLE RESULTS!! I have seen too many people spend time and $$ and only apply the bag fertilizer that is totally different than what is called for. Good luck fellas!

Bought some Poast Plus and crop oil to try and revive a clover and alfalfa plot overun with grass. Its about 4 acres in size. How much do I mix in a 25 gallon tank to cover this area and when is the best time to do it? It wil mowed for hay in a week or so. Thanks for any advice.

Top Bottom