Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Weird tree markings?

Bowman D

Well, I have a few minutes on my day off before I head out in the drizzle to try for the big one. So, I thought I would run this by some of you. I know the guys on IW are some of the most experienced outdoorsman. I hunt in a very remote part of Jackson County. I went out to one of my stands and saw something that I have never seen. First of all I'm in a high traffic area for deer and have not been seeing much, I realize that by itself means nothing. I found a tree that has markings on it that are quite odd. They start at about two feet off the ground and are stair-stepped on either side of the tree, all the way to the top. The marks are about the size of your hand and fingers combined round. In the areas that have the marks the tree bark is mostly gone to the meat of the tree. Unfortunately, I can see what appears to be a few individual claw scratches. The tree is tall and does not have a branch for about twenty feet. The marks appear to go as high as the first branch. There is no way someone is using some sort of a climber on my land to make these, that I am certain. It is extremely thick vegetation that sits on top of a limestone bluff. My question is what is it????????? I obviously have some ideas but would like to hear some other opinions. Thanks, Hopefully I have described it well. Needless to say it is on my mind every time I am in my stand around dark!!!!!!!

take some pix of it tonight and post them.
im a visual person /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Does it look like when somebody clears the bark off a tree to put in tree steps? Not saying that is what it is, just trying to get a visual.

Thanks for the replies. No it definitely doesn't look like it could be used for tree steps. It's in an area where it is so thick you could not possibly get a shot off in any direction without major work in clearing lanes. The area was selectively cut years ago and this tree is surrounded by tall thin saplings. I will definitely try to remember my camera. The marks are on the corners and sides of the tree, not directly in front if you are facing the tree. It appears to have been climbed from the locations of the marks. What really gets me is that it would take some time to get the marks down to the meat of the tree. From what I understand Bobcats do not go all the way to the top, they simply use the bottom two or three feet to use as a scratching post, the same as a house cat.

Not sure about the tree, I honestly don't remember. Only looked at it once. I'll try for pics tonight. Any ideas on what it could be?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Chupacabra </div></div>

Since my favorite line was stolen, I'll have to settle for my climging treestand. Sorry my dead down wind didn't work and you're not seeing anything.

I'll leave it be for a week and you should be back to normal.

Actually pictures would help, a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AIRASSAULT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like lineman boot spikes </div></div>

Gotta be a bear! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Sorry,never posted pics before. My wife helped me get them on to IW. If someone could help me, I would appreciate it. Their located in the "In The Field" category. Thanks

IMG_10971.JPG
IMG_1096.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1092.JPG

Looks like somebody took a heck of a ride down a tree in an old Baker tree stand. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

No way that is animal related.........are you sure you don't have a trespasser with linemans spikes???

Top Bottom