Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wensel Brothers

G

Why are so many non-residents concerned with how residents feel about leasing land they've hunted on for years. Shouldn't that be between the hunter and the land owner? Besides, the more residents that decide not to lease, leave more property for non-residents to hunt on when the inevitable (as non-residents would have residents believe) happens. By the way, the farmers I know have no problems paying their taxes, and their happy to get rid of the deer.

Did anyone catch Gene Wensel's comments on the bowsite.com Iowa conference, "Wensels".

"I'm not going to get into another argument with local Iowans who expect quality hunting opportunities rent free forever while farmers are having a hard time paying their taxes. I can't help but wonder why you are so chummy with an outfitter/neighbor who leases too. The truth is we are simply past the point of supply and demand. As a resident, you had better swallow your pride and secure limited access bowhunting-only rights on prime habitat for yourself and friends. Or you may as well break out your golf clubs."

Any good golf courses in Iowa?

That's exactly what I'm talking about!! I'm heading out in a week or two to help the farmer/land owner build a new barn. Anything I can do to help secure my hunting privilege I will do. I help him bring his crops in, move cattle, build barns, anything it takes! It costs me nothing but time and energy and helps him out a great deal. Small price to pay to hunt.

Yes, Yes, Yes! Thats the way it should be! Hang onto those opportunities as long as you can and enjoy every one like it was your last. Eventually we are all going to get a lesson in Hunting Economics 101.

Right on sodbuster.I have been hunting the same property for 12 year's and will continue to hunt here for many year's to come as long as I respect the landowner's wish's on the rule's of the land.It's not alway's about money as some rich guy's would like you to believe!I help around the farm whenever needed and have friend's with the owner beyond the hunting.
It's getting tough to do this with all the ground being sold off as the next generation take's control of the land but if we as hunter's do nothing to improve are image as responsible ethical sportsman and women we will lose out.What I mean by that is that we have to weed out the people that call themselve's hunter's that shoot up the sign's on state property and shoot 2or3 extra deer every year and then try to tell you that there are so many deer that they are not hurting anything or take to many duck's ect,ect.These are the people that give us all a black eye!Ask one farmer if you can hunt there property and if they say NO I would almost garentee they could tell you a story about someone who shot there animal's or tore a fence up or brought all there buddy's along because they thought it would be OK.These are the thing's that cause the shutting down of private property 80% of the time.I do not believe it's about money,Maybe some but I would bet very little.Sorry to get so upset on the subject but I would like to see my son be able to hunt 5or10 year's from now and if we do nothing to stop the slob's he will have nowhere to hunt!MONEY OR NOT!!!!

We as residents must stick together. And I will continue to hunt without leasing or I will not hunt at all! The only people I ever hear saying leasing is a good thing are NRs. Nothing against them but just because it is rampant in other places doesn't make it a bandwagon-jumping option here.

Top Bottom