Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What age bucks get biggest- quick IW Video…

I definitely think getting bucks old heavily ways on the neighborhood. Most bucks with good genetics get shot at 2.5-3.5 years old. I have old bucks on my farm, but they have junk racks and that's what allowed them to survive. Most neighbors would rather shoot a great genetic 2-year-old over a "cull" 7-year-old.

I definitely think getting bucks old heavily ways on the neighborhood. Most bucks with good genetics get shot at 2.5-3.5 years old. I have old bucks on my farm, but they have junk racks and that's what allowed them to survive. Most neighbors would rather shoot a great genetic 2-year-old over a "cull" 7-year-old.
That's the truth around my farm.

If there's a silver lining to the CWD protocols in MO, it's that I can use those extra CWD tags to shoot older bucks with less headgear.

I know. :(. I knew that was the downside of even mentioning this stuff. I didn’t want it to come across elitist but I at least wanted to tell what I thought was the truth.
I’ll make u feel better…. Where I grew up…. U didn’t see 2.5 year olds. U saw about 5 to 7 1.5’s in a whole season. There’s other parts of state where guys did get 2.5’s & up but they were incredibly rare where I hunted. Like, 3 years with seeing no 2.5’s.

I’ll show u 2 pics. Me & my bro. We shot these in MI & I swear this is the truth…. We hung them on the basketball hoop in town. These were 2.5’s & this was like shooting a 200” deer here. Cars came to look by the hundreds. The town newspaper did an article about both of these. Like “young kids shoot giant bucks”. It was HUUGGGGEEEE. So- if anyone thinks they hunted a worse area than me, I’d love to hear it!!! ;).

View attachment 124879View attachment 124878

Ngl those noggins look older than 2.5 woulda been cool to see what the teeth said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the biggest thing these big bucks want is LACK OF HUMAN INTRUSION!!!! I honestly believe if you have the right 80 or even 40, but have everything he needs and no human pressure, you can get a buck to grow up on your property to become the best he can be. Now the 2nd part of that equation is the neighbors. If you have “it’s brown it’s down” type of neighbors, his chances greatly diminish b/c of how much these bucks move during the rut. For me, harvesting a mature buck is only 10% of it all. The planting of food, changing the habitat, looking for sheds, moving stands, etc. is the part I love most. It’s the journey, not the end result that keeps me going.

Top Bottom