Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What call would you recommend for a beginner?

A

AJ

Just wondering what you guys think is a good call for a rookie turkey hunter? Tapes or videos that you could recommend will also help.

I went last year with a friend who helped me call. It was a great time even though I didn't get to bag one.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

AJ

AJ

For a straight up, easy to use call I'd go with a push button call. For a back up to that I'd get a box call. My calls are older than dirt as my Dad gave them to me but I think that Quaker Boy and Lynch make some good calls. Other than that you can get a friction call that's made out of glass/titanium/slate etc. Depending on how loud you want it you'll just have to try some of those out, I know that at Fin & Feathers, Cabelas, Scheels they have them out for you to play with. Personally I have a slate call for close in calling and want to get a titanium for windy long range calling. A mouth call is a different story, I really like HS STRUT (Hunter Specialties) mouth calls. The MAD, Ben Lee (to name a few) calls have thinner outer material that hurts my mouth, HS has a thicker covering so the metal doesn't hit your mouth as much. Start out with a single reed mouth call, they are clear and sound good. You probably don't need that many mouth calls, I manage to snag more than that but I like my toys and some calls have that "sweetness" that on certain days are just hot. Better to be broke and prepared than to not get that gobbler! At the end of season you'll be able to pick up a crapload of calls on clearance prices but for now I'd stick with what's easy.

Hope this novel helps ya out! If you have any other Q's keep 'em coming.

MW

I agree with Muddy. I would say it all depends on the distance you are trying to call. A single reed mouth call for short distance, and a good box call for long, is pretty hard to beat...

I started out with a Lohman push-button call, and I still use it today.....a great call! I had that call and a single reed mouth call when I called in and killed my first gobbler. Start out simple and you might be surprised what happens. Good luck and good hunting!

-GunnerJon

AJ,
I agree with all that's been said, but let me add my 2 cents. At some point, being able to make all of those sweet sounds with a mouth call is extremely important. Although I have, and use most all kinds of calls, when the bird's inside that magical 100 yard mark and the chips are down, I pretty much always use a mouth call. The reason is pretty simple...you can't afford the movement. The downside is that using these calls effectively takes alot more practice time, but it's well worth the effort. Expect your family to boot you out of the house, but pick up an audio tape of turkey sounds (readily available at most hunting shops)and drive around listening to them and trying to imitate them. My personal choice are the Primos calls with the diamond cuts, but any type will do if you work with it. Having a variety of calls is an excellent idea, but my personal opinion is that guys who are good with mouth calls seem to kill alot of turkeys! Good Luck!

NWBuck

FWIW, I think a slate or glass call (basically same thing except for volume) are the easiest for a novice to make the greatest variety of "quality" calls. Push button is the easiest, but not as many sounds possible, at least not for a novice. Box call is the loudest, but hard for a novice to make the "subtle" sounds--nothing prettier than a well-made box call, however, hard to resist buying another. Reed is cheapest, very nice for hunting because no motion and nothing in your hands, and someone who is good with a reed call can make some really sweet sounds. A novice, however, can sound like a cat hacking a hairball for a while, if can avoid gagging and actually doing the "cat thing" (except no hairball).

So, I'd start with a glass or slate and at the same time buy a reed and start practicing with it. If you can reasonably master it, it's the nicest because no "junk" to carry around, and no motion/ready to shoot if he sneaks up on you. And get a box also, try to learn how to use it for variety and windy days when you need more volume than a reed or glass/slate can provide.

And, if you can master different calls you have an advantage, because hard-hunted birds seem to get used to a particular call type. Most people seem to use reeds these days, and if you have a "reed familar" bird he may run at the first sound from a reed, but still be a sucker for a sweet hen call from a slate.

When you try a reed (and be sure you do), you may find that you have to cut the sides down to avoid gagging, depending on the shape/size of your mouth. Be careful not to cut off too much, however, or won't be able to "seal" the back and produce any sound. Also, after using it soak it in some mouthwash for a few minutes--makes it taste better the next day, but more importantly can help prevent sore throats from all those wonderful bacteria floating around your mouth and proliferating in that nice wet call sitting in a warm place. Don't soak too long, or the adhesives will let loose.

Can't beat a box call for good sound and ease of use, but you do have some movement that may be a factor.

Hunter Specialties has a new mouth call out this year named the Tone Trough. It it far easier to blow than conventional mouth calls and doesn't produce the choke reflex. This would be a good call for a beginner if you want a mouth call.

Top Bottom