Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you do for a living?

Started working for a quick lube in 1994 (Last year of High School) been there ever since. 23 years and its been fast. Started as a tech which was fun learning about cars , changing oil and fluids. Ive met some really good people over the last 23 years including my wife and countless friends that have helped me grow as a person. . I am now a partner and what was once a small quick lube helped grow in to 22 locations with carwashes and full service repair facilities.

I think the biggest thing for me is the people just enjoy helping I honestly cant remember the last time I actually got up to go to work I just love it. I have about 150 people that work under me and they are great people. It's also rewarded me with the opportunity to own my own farm which was my life long dream and I am eternally grateful for the opportunity. P.S. my bull riding career was short lived :)

Y'all get out my way look me up..

https://www.washluberepair.com/

Sorry about the crap situation....

I bounced around from factory and delivery jobs the first 10 years of my marriage. Now I am the Head Custodian at an Elementary School. I can honestly say that I truly love my job. Its totally ok for me act like a kid there, as long as my work is done:) I have 3 years in there and don't plan on leaving!!

I went to college for Diesel Mechanics. Worked as a mechanic at a Case IH Dealership for 2 yrs. Then got hired on at a career Fire Department. Been there for 11 years now and have no plans to leave there.

Sorry for the tough time but the economy is coming around nicely and I'm sure you will find something soon enough. Right out of high school I started working at a local landscaping company and would eventually go on to college for Landscape Design. Shortly into college and after 3 years working there I decided that was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. I then got a job working for the power company doing under ground electric. I worked my up through my 4 years there and was fortunate enough to land a foreman position at 25. Now at 26 my next step is to work my way towards a management position. It pays well and the benefits and retirement are really good but I will certainly never be a millionaire. I enjoy my job but it has its days that its less then desirable. The cold and mud get old but I still enjoy what I do. I have one more year of saving to do and I will be investing in a few rental properties next spring. I hope to someday get to the point where rentals make me enough to pay for a piece of hunting property and have my daily job pay for my normal living expenses. Im advantage of not having a family or wife and I work every hour thats given to me and the only time I turn down overtime is during hunting season. Good luck in your search and like I said I'm sure you will find something soon enough. This is a neat thread, its cool getting to see all walks of life in terms of careers and age.

Went to college couldn't take being penned inside. Began farming after the farm crisis in the late 70s and early 80s. Land was cheep no one wanted it or could afford it.Bought first farm kept snowballing renting saving. Married late no kids till things were paid for. Been a long haul . Twelve hr days are normal eighteen hr is a long day.Watched the sun go down and come back up working lots of times. Not sure if I would do it again.Nothing like being in a tree stand to escape stress and work. It's about the only place I can actually feel my heart rate drop and relax. Been on this sight for ever.

I am a sales rep for a fortune 500 transportation company. Ive been in the industry 7 years. Before that i did HVAC service and installation for 7 years. before that I worked with my dad building/remodeling houses. I like being in sales, as I am a people person. I recently found out however that i am basically at the cap of what I can expect to make at the company unless I relocate. That does not fit into my future goals so I am starting to put out feelers elsewhere.

WHAT DO U DO? I am not going to give cliche answer of: “just do what you love”..... RIGHT NOW: do what makes $ and pays bills. It has to be something you can tolerate and a good fit. Make a list of 25 random job fields or types that interest you.... then- pick the top 10 paying ones and go after them. Go interview, network & polish yourself. You will figure this out BUT- make “finding a job” your job right now. All you concentrate on right now

Sligh1 nailed it with this! It sounds really similar to some things that Mike Rowe has written / said, and I respect the heck out of that guy. Don't chase your dreams. Go after a job in a field that can build off of a skill-set(s) that you are naturally gifted with. It's amazing how much quicker you can make gains at something that you're already somewhat hardwired for, than at something that you LOVE, but aren't gifted at. As long as you don't loath what you do, you can work your way up through the ranks quickly, and afford to peruse your passions outside of your line of work.

This is exactly what I've done. I originally wanted to become a conservation officer, or something along those lines, but the jobs were few and far between, and the pay wasn't all that great. I bounced around figuring out what I didn't want to do, and ended up going back to college for computer science. Turns out, I've got a knack for numbers, coding and complex problem solving. I have zero complaints about what I do. A bad day is still a pretty good day, and I made sacrifices along the way to position myself to be able to afford to do the things that I want to do, in my personal life.

I’m a Delaware State Trooper. Prior to that I used to be a supervisor at a manufacturing plant for 16 years. Being a police officer is a very rewarding career although very tough especially now. We are walking targets which I sleep with one eye open all the time. That causes a little stress. My plan is to make it till I have 20 years then retire to Iowa. With that being said, we are hiring.

I'm a general/project manager for a construction company. I installed for about 9 years and moved into the office doing CAD work and have been in the construction field for 20 years now.

Sligh1 nailed it with this! It sounds really similar to some things that Mike Rowe has written / said, and I respect the heck out of that guy. Don't chase your dreams. Go after a job in a field that can build off of a skill-set(s) that you are naturally gifted with. It's amazing how much quicker you can make gains at something that you're already somewhat hardwired for, than at something that you LOVE, but aren't gifted at. As long as you don't loath what you do, you can work your way up through the ranks quickly, and afford to peruse your passions outside of your line of work.

This is exactly what I've done. I originally wanted to become a conservation officer, or something along those lines, but the jobs were few and far between, and the pay wasn't all that great. I bounced around figuring out what I didn't want to do, and ended up going back to college for computer science. Turns out, I've got a knack for numbers, coding and complex problem solving. I have zero complaints about what I do. A bad day is still a pretty good day, and I made sacrifices along the way to position myself to be able to afford to do the things that I want to do, in my personal life.

That's similar to my story as well - visited ISU senior year of high school and wanted to be a forester. Realized the job market and career in IA just weren't there so went back to what I was good at in school. Math and accounting. Got my CPA at UNI and am now the Controller for a commercial construction company that has locations in 7 states. Love it. The people and culture we have are great.

Biomedical engineer that manages a R&D team that designs vascular devices. Pretty cool gig and I work for a hell of a company, 14,000 employees and never had a single one laid off. Flexible time and they’re get my passion so they let me partake in my hobbies come fall. Privately owned so that helps!

Hawkeye grad in 08 and been here ever since! Miss Iowa but it isn’t too shabby a few states east.

Kratz

Biomedical engineer that manages a R&D team that designs vascular devices. Pretty cool gig and I work for a hell of a company, 14,000 employees and never had a single one laid off. Flexible time and they’re get my passion so they let me partake in my hobbies come fall. Privately owned so that helps!

Hawkeye grad in 08 and been here ever since! Miss Iowa but it isn’t too shabby a few states east.

Kratz
Work for a Defense Contractor training soldiers. We were put on furlough the end of March 17 as our contract was put out for bidding. The contract did not get awarded till October 17. 6 months off collecting unemployment sucked but back to work for a different Contractor doing the same job just different company writing my pay check. Just part of working for the government, but all the staff waited because we enjoy our job.
Single dad, so it pays the bills, but a lot of it goes for medical expenses for my younger son. The job is very rewarding training our U.S. Warrior's. Went into the Army out of high school but got out after getting tired of the constant moving, but enjoyed getting to see a lot of the world. That training put me in line for being an Instructor, and through some contacts help me get my fiit in the door.Hours are good, plenty of holidays and PTO time. Just cant take time off when soldiers are in, because we don't have the staff to fill in so just have to schedule time off around training which we know a year out. I have had some enjoyable jobs, working for a Sprint Car manufacturer and a Aftermarket Harley Davidson Parts Supplier. But being an Instructor has been the best one and hope to retire from.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Sorry to here about your situation!

I myself am a wind turbine technician for the largest owner/ operator of wind energy in the u.s. and Canada. It's a great job (most of the time) something new to do everyday and definitely stay active. Ive been doing this now for almost 8 years and the view from 300 feet up never gets old! Working for such a large company can have it's draw backs but overall it gives me more opportunities for advancement and travel if I want. Good luck on your search, and like was said find a job that pays the bills for now but never stop looking for that career that you want!

VMware Server Admin for a rather large hospitality industry company. 15 years and counting. Have an education degree from the University of Nebraska but never used it. Stayed here because of the people and culture but that has all changed. Just survived a major restructure. Only a matter of time before another one comes around. Wish I was outdoors every day.

I have been in Parks and Recreation maintenance for 25 yrs. Currently at my third employer in this field managing a sports complex in Oskaloosa. I tried college for 2 years and hated it, took a job in the field and turned it into a pretty good career. The job changes with the seasons so its hard to get bored.

I also run a roofing business on the side with a buddy, been at that for 20 yrs and it has provided some nice extra income. Its hard work and I wouldn't want to do it full time but not bad a couple nights a week.

Agronomist for 18 years in northwest Iowa. Work and deal with farmers everyday day, that can be good and bad :) Really enjoy my job!

Work in R&D Pilot Plant for Dow Styrofoam. Also volunteer as a Reserve Deputy Sheriff and Range Officer. Have a bit of land in SE Iowa where I plan to move after retirement in about 12 years...

Sorry to hear of your situation, but I'm a firm believer that things happen for a reason. Big man just wanted you to take a different path is all.

I'm an equity partner in a financial services firm in Iowa (locations all over Iowa) where we help people with their investments and insurance needs. I'm on the sales side of that and am a financial advisor. I really enjoy what I do. I'm able to have a comfortable lifestyle in that the flexibility allows me to do come and go as I please, which is great having a passion for the outdoors! I really can't imagine what else I "could" do frankly so I've been fortunate.

I'm a production supervisor for an ethylene/petrochemical manufacturing facility here in southern Louisiana. Been in operations/production at the same company for 26yrs. My job was a lot more interesting when I was more involved with the daily production of the unit. Now I am more focused on the planning of daily maintenance activities within the unit, the organizing of major turnarounds and keeping up with operator training/simulation records.

I went to ISU and have a Bachelor's degree in Animal Ecology. I did seasonal work for the DNR while in college. I graduated during the economic downturn in 2008, and the DNR had a couple year hiring freeze. I got picked up by a Sheriff's Dept. and have been with them as a Deputy ever since.

Top Bottom