Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you recommend for a wet area

tracker

Life Member
I have the adjoining neighbor starting to jump on with some food plots. He has an area next to me that can be fairly wet at times. Any ideas on what to put in there? Also does anyone know if turnips are harmful to cattle?

Thanks!

Cattle can eat too many turnips and get sick, especially bred cows, but in a regulated manner, they are great livestock feed. You will never get them to grow if the cattle are there year round though.

Wet mostly in spring. The cattle are not released onto the ground until after 1st season shotgun. They winter there till march and then surrounding ground reworked for crops in april

I've always thought turnips were best as food during the late winter months? If so they will be wasted money as the cattle will be there when you want deer on them.

I've always thought turnips were best as food during the late winter months? If so they will be wasted money as the cattle will be there when you want deer on them.

I would agree. The deer will just be starting to eat the turnips when the cattle come in and whipe them out. I wold stick with clover or something like winter rye that can withstand heavy grazing presure. Maybe even peas for a good food source that you can hunt for the first half of the season when there are no cows there.

Top Bottom