Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What do you think

IAspurs

Life Member
I am fairly new to taxidermy and want to know what you guys think. I shot this deer with my bow this past November. I would really like to hear what I could do differently to make the mount look better. Thanks

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

And here is a picture of a deer I mounted for a buddy just thought I would post it because its a big deer.

picture.php

Attachments

• 20140216_151529.jpg
    20140216_151529.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 231
Last edited:
Well to start off, you typically mount them on the wall and not the ceiling. ;) ;) The picture showed up upside down for me.

It looks good to me. We would need better pictures though. Especially close ups of the eyes, nose, face etc.

Looks good to me. Not that I'm a great judge of what is and isn't good taxidermy. But I can tell what I don't like. I Can't find anything I don't like in the time I can hold my head sideways.

Take it to the Iowa Taxidermy Association annual show/competition in Marshalltown, March 28-30. You will get a very informative critique from a very well qualified judge as well as a chance to meet a number of great guys (& gals), many of whom are very willing to help you out.

I am not a qualified taxidermy expert, so take this FWIW...but I think it looks like you have done a very nice job there. I second the notion that Horsedoctor gave you, take it to the pros, they will really be able to help you. You mention that you are new to this, what better time than that to get solid advice and critique?

Even if a pro can spot some areas for you to upgrade, I would still have to say that you are off to a good start and your mounts look better than some I have seen where the person doing the mount represented themselves as an expert. :D

The only other thought that I have for you is that I have mounts that have been done by three separate people and I had to learn the hard way to not just trust the "friend of a friend" who does taxidermy on the side. The last several mounts I have had done have been by Durk Sterner, who actually posts here on IW sometimes as Stuffy, and the difference in those mounts v. the "early days" when a "friend of a friend" did them is quite noticeable, even to me.

Also, the quality mounts keep looking good through the years v. the lower quality mounts. In my experience, the lower quality mounts may start to show cracks, they may develop some yellowing around the eyes and/or ears, the black nose may fade and/or look duller and the hide may show rough spots too.

He looks pretty good for a first time mount! I think the eyes swept completely back looks a little weird on that pose, would rather see them to the side of the head like he's listening for something since that's sort of an alert pose.

He looks pretty good for a first time mount! I think the eyes swept completely back looks a little weird on that pose, would rather see them to the side of the head like he's listening for something since that's sort of an alert pose.

Looks real good but agree the eyes need a little fine tuning but overall very nice job!

Do you mean ears? Yes the ears are pinned back I was going for the look as if it was posturing up to another deer. Thanks for the replies keep them coming.

Overall not bad for just starting out. I'd get some good reference pics for the eyes. Also did you paint around the eyes any? That being done correctly will make the mount look a lot better.

I do paint around the eyes and figured out that the flash from the camera makes it look different. The color around the eyes looks great with the naked eye but the flash makes it look funny. I have a deer mounted by joe meder and thats what I use for reference. After seeing how the eye on my mount looked I took a picture of the deer mounted by meder and it looks funny too. Im assuming the flash has alot to do with it.

Looks pretty good but remember the 3 corner eye set next time. Also I think your ears are a bit far back and maybe get some reference on ear butt shape. Those two things will make a world of difference. Overall I would say thats a pretty respectable mount for a beginner. Rule number 1 in the taxidermy game , don't be afraid to ask questions. I went to a professional taxidermy school 12 years ago and I'm still learning ! The day I stop learning I will have lost interest. Ever need any advice or a different set of eyes get ahold of me on here. Good luck !

Couple more quick things I noticed as I went back to your pictures , tuck that bottom lip just a bit more. And another tip on eyes , the eyelash is meant to shade the eye. With that in mind the eyelash should not be coming rather straight out from the brow but gently sweeping downward. A lot of people get that wrong in there mounts , it starts by shaving the hide thin thin thin.

Seriously, take it to the ITA show March 28th-30. Enter in the pro division and get ready to learn. Bill Yox is the judge this year and is one of the best in the country. You will learn more in 1 weekend than trying and guessing for a year. Don't worry what place you get, doesn't matter.

It all depends on if you want to get better or just get by. I know tons of guys with "schooling" and been doing it for years and their work is awful.

Do you mean ears? Yes the ears are pinned back I was going for the look as if it was posturing up to another deer. Thanks for the replies keep them coming.

Yes I meant ears, sorry for the typo. If that's the look you were going for, I'd leave them be. For a first time mount it actually looks really good.

Not bad at all. A little more clay above the eye will help you with getting that eyelid to lay right.

I have had no training or schooling. I had a buddy that was wanting to get into taxidermy and it was something I had always wanted to do. I learned how to get the hide ready and what needed tucked where and went from there. For the most part I have learned everything from just looking at mounts.

Top Bottom