Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What scent suit to buy?

pandy175

Any imput would be great. I have the ultralite scentblocker at the moment, it is five years old. Any one have the dream season(40spf)? What about the alpha series(60spf)? Any ideas, scentlok is it loud?

none, they don't work. Read up on them, the makers even claim that to rejuvenate them they would have to incinerate the suit. Just stay clean and spray down with H.S. Acorn or Earth. Always hunt the wind.......

I am done with buying them from here on out...I have used them since 1998 and this year, I used them sparingly....I was winded just as much or more with them than I was without. Spend your money on something else if possible

Buy a gallon of Ghost and check the weather channel in the morning before each hunt. Scent Suits = Sugar Pills
smirk.gif

thanks and I will look it them more, so I should just go back to the wafers and what I have been doing. Sure would save a ton of money.

I basically agree with the above posts. I would find something made with the kind of quality that will last you a long time, and not worry about much else. Hunt smart, Hunt the wind!!!!
grin.gif

The statement "Forget the wind, just hunt" is the biggest BS pushed on novice bowhunters ever, IMHO.

If you want to be successful in the long term, forget trying to eliminate and cover your scent and just hunt THE WIND angle. Keep yourself and your clothes as clean as possible and use the wind to your advantage. You cannot eliminate your scent and you cannot cover your scent. A wafer on your hat?... COME ON! Even if you could somehow cover or seal up your body's scent, you still have to breathe! Breathing is mixing the outside air with your blood in your lungs and expelling it into your surroundings. Are you going to tell me that is not going to create a lot of scent?

I see the scent elimination industry as a passing fad. Particularly the clothing. People are buying this stuff like crazy and the companies have huge advertising budgets to perpetuate the myth and they can pay well-known bowhunters to help them sell more suits, but eventually it will reach a point of diminishing returns as more hunters realize that they are wasting their money, which will decrease sales, which will cut back on the advertising budgets, and these things will die a natural death. That is unless some new gimmick comes along first and replaces this one.

Having said all that, I love the looks of the Dream Season suit. I think it is very well designed. The zipper that goes off to one side is a great idea. Magnetic pocket closures instead of velcro (why didn't I think of that) and several other improvements make this a great idea for some practical hunting clothing. Now drop the activated carbon and reduce the price accordingly and I'll take one!

I realize this post is pretty opinionated but it is not directed at anyone in particular. Just use your head and play the wind angle. That's the only way to stay ahead of the scent game. Buy yourself a good camo suit made out of a quiet, durable fabric that isn't prone to collecting burs and stickers, and forget the activated carbon. Here's my saying "Forget the gimmicks, just hunt the wind!"

[ QUOTE ]
thanks and I will look it them more, so I should just go back to the wafers and what I have been doing. Sure would save a ton of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you took all the money you would spend on that suit and spent it on scent free products and your water bill I would think you would be much better off. Basic scent elimination practice will always work.

Ok, so if I were to eliminate the carbon, what camo(pattern, bib, jacket,etc.) would be at the top of everybodies list?
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, so if I were to eliminate the carbon, what camo(pattern, bib, jacket,etc.) would be at the top of everybodies list?
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ] Well if you really want to be fashion consious by all means buy Realtree Advantage Timber but if you want GOOD camo buy Mossy Oak Breakup.
30577-rotflmao1.gif
Seriously just buy whatever trips your trigger and blends with your area because there aren't any bad patterns that I know of.
waytogo.gif
As far as scent control goes, not farting in your stand will go a long way.
grin.gif

This is some great info. I was always wondering if I was the only one out there without the suit. I wash my clothing atleast every two times I hunt(depending on temp due to sweat) and play the wind. I think some ghost spray and a Lone Wolf for the wind Gods
grin.gif
is the ticket!

I bought an ASAT leafy camo suit http://www.asatcamo.com/ at last years Deer Classic and I love it. It's a cover up and you can basically wear anything under it. I've worn just a gray or black long sleeve t-shirt or sweat shirt under it before. You don't have to wear any camo under it, probably just something dark. I think its saved me some money by not having to buy different camo for different weather. Your camo is always going to be on top.

Top Bottom