Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What should I do for this pond moss?

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
Whatever it’s called. Tons of it. Thick. Top is like a nasty goo carpet. Need to get rid of some of this.
grass carp? Chemical?
thx!
0CC797E2-01DE-43D8-9EB2-3F6964234096.jpeg

You can buy some copper sulfate but be sure to not treat more than 1/3 at a time as it will starve the pond for oxygen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve heard Barley bales work? But that’s just what I’ve read ... never tried it myself.

Barley Bales do not work........That pond moss will grow right on the Barley bale.

Are there catfish in the pond? They might be sensitive to copper sulfate, if memory serves me. That wouldn’t stop me, don’t think it will kill all and can always restock.

You’re better off removing it v trying to kill it if you can

sprayed ours couple years ago with copper sulfate, hand sprayer tank from boat. Sprayed tops of the matts of moss. Ours was mostly along shoreline to 20 feet out. did 1/2 pond then other half a few weeks later, killed it and pond has been clean so far.

sprayed ours couple years ago with copper sulfate, hand sprayer tank from boat. Sprayed tops of the matts of moss. Ours was mostly along shoreline to 20 feet out. did 1/2 pond then other half a few weeks later, killed it and pond has been clean so far.

Exactly what I did except I sprayed 1/2 one week, 1/2 next and killed off my fish

That is filamentous algae. Your best bet is to treat with Cutrine Plus....1.8 gallons per treated acre. Not a one and done though

Have a 2 acre pond at my farm too and it’s been a CONSTANT battle trying to keep the algae minimal. Agree with arm above....cutrine plus is probably best bet (unless you don’t have fish in it then the copper sulfate is probably fine too.) They make it in crystal form or liquid form. I use the liquid and spray it through my tank sprayer on my quad that I use for my food plots too. Just be sure to get a tank cleaner and run water through a tank or two to get any other residual chemicals out of the tank that you don’t want in the water. I treat my pond 3-4 times a year and still can’t stay in front of it. At around $40 a gallon and using 2 gallons every time I treat it, it adds up quick!

Like said above...copper sulfate or copper complexes.
That will help control it. But its a indicator of too high nutrients making its way into the pond. Look at filter strips to catch more nutrients field. Take advantage of CRP to install buffer.

One other thing, grass carp won't eat it. They'd probably make it worse

I'll need to look into the pond boss forums, sounds good already

Copper sulfate will knock it back short term. Too many nutrients is the problem. Thiesens sells a sludge buster product that is active bacteria that digests the nutrients in your pond. I use that and the blue dye to keep the UV light out and my pond stays clean. Not cheap but worth it to me as we swim almost daily in our pond.

Top Bottom