Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What to plant in my wetland area

Just curious, can buttonbush be planted as seeds? What's the growth rate? I have some wet areas I would like to see some cover in also.

Reactions: HWC
Just curious, can buttonbush be planted as seeds? What's the growth rate? I have some wet areas I would like to see some cover in also.
Only experience I have with buttonbush is looking it up on-line. I saw this: "Warning: The poisonous foliage of this abundant and widespread species is unpalatable to livestock. The bitter bark has served in home remedies, but its medicinal value is doubtful." I copied that from: https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ceoc2

Maybe this is a different plant from what is being discussed. Maybe it is tolerated by deer.

How fast does the button brush grow? It's going to be time to do something before I know it and I'm having trouble deciding what to do.
I would like it to be good for deer and pheasant since we do have some pheasant on the property.

I was deer hunting along the skunk river and one bottom land had something growing that had to be 10 feet tall and very thick. I saw several roosters, and it looks like deer could disappear in it. I'm not sure what it was though. Kind of reed like.

I was deer hunting along the skunk river and one bottom land had something growing that had to be 10 feet tall and very thick. I saw several roosters, and it looks like deer could disappear in it. I'm not sure what it was though. Kind of reed like.
common reed
reed.jpg

Reactions: HWC
That looks great for pheasant and deer. Sorry for late response I have had a lot of issues logging in for some reason.

Does the common reed grow fast? And is it from seed?
careful careful..... invasive. I have not planted any, i just see it all over the place in ditches, etc.

Man I have had a lot of issues logging on for some reason.
I son't do the reed grass then. I'm not sure what to plant. It is barren there right now especially with this icy snow cover.
I am leaning towards some of the kanlow sg that was mentioned earlier and some Miscanthus. Maybe with some shrubs along the border.
Questions
1. How hard is the kanlow to get established in these areas compared to a regular field.
2. I planted small dogwoods a few years ago and none really grew. I sprayed before planting but don't have time to babysit these and make sure they grow.
Any of the cuttings relatively easy to grow such as elderberry etc? I can spray it all to have dead area to begin with but I don't have time to come back and check on it every few weeks.

Top Bottom