Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

What's going on here? Need input...

NWBuck

PMA Member
Our son Hunter had a late ML tag, and with last night being the final night of the season, he decided if it got down to the final 30 minutes or so of daylight with no shooter bucks in sight, he'd be willing to fill his tag with a doe. He let me tag along to video. We had plenty of deer around, and several bucks, just nothing good. So with around 15 minutes of legal light left he drew down on the biggest doe among several that were nearby. I got in position for a perfect over-the-shoulder video, which I got. Here's where the story gets interesting. The shot "sounded" a little different, and Hunter claimed he felt heat on his hand at the shot. He dropped the doe in her tracks, but at 40 yards the impact point was around 6 or 7 inches off of his aiming point...way too far for that close of a shot. So Hunter went through the video, and below are a couple of screen shots of the split second that the primer and load went off.
upload_2019-1-11_13-59-51.png

upload_2019-1-11_14-0-40.png

So a little background. This is a Knight disc rifle. He and I each have one like this, and they're approximately 15 years old. It uses the orange primer jackets. We've never had a bit of trouble with them, but within the last year, each gun has misfired...either at the range or in the field. I have my thoughts, but I'd be interested in what others think might be causing this. Or is this normal and something we've just never noticed because we don't often video our shots??

NWBuck

Are those orange plastic primer holders old? Is there flash leaking around it? Looks like excessive leak around the primer, but I have no experience with that set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
My initial thought was the orange jacket broke which took out the "seal" and allowed excessive flash out the breech. Was the jacket still in good shape after the shot? Was it still on the nipple? When we used to shoot knights, we'd have a hot enough load in the barrel that the blow back would be hard enough to push the jacket backwards off the nipple. Those are my couple of thoughts. Glad he got the doe!

Check out the post on cleaning the breach plug. Might have had some fouling in the breach causing a little blow back. Just a guess. I have a knight as well and I think those breach plugs suck to clean. Or as others said maybe the primers wasn't seated tight on the breach. Good luck.

Holy smokers! Did the Bullet still hit target and Fly right?
No clue but had to have come out of breech somewhere & sure is of concern.

Check out the post on cleaning the breach plug. Might have had some fouling in the breach causing a little blow back. Just a guess. I have a knight as well and I think those breach plugs suck to clean. Or as others said maybe the primers wasn't seated tight on the breach. Good luck.
Yes, I have been following that thread as well. I've always cleaned the breach plug with hot soapy water and a Q-tip. Always seemed like it did a good job, but maybe there's some build up in there that I can't see. Seems strange though, as I just purchased new breach plugs for both guns 2 or 3 years ago. Thanks for the input.

Holy smokers! Did the Bullet still hit target and Fly right?
No clue but had to have come out of breech somewhere & sure is of concern.
Yep. Dropped the doe in her tracks, but did miss his aiming point by more than it should have at 40 yards.

Let me start off by saying I am not familiar with the Knight’s breech plug design. However, I’m thinking just hot soapy water and a Q-tip over the last 2-3 years has likely left quite a lot of buildup.

On the other hand, that looks like way more sparks and fire than primer blowback (excluding muzzle blast). I’m thinking buildup in the fire channel, as well as a bad seal on the primer. Especially with the delay and sustained blowback between the two frames.

Curious, were those two frames back to back, and was that 30 frames per second or 60?

Top Bottom