Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Where to go in iowa to hunt hogs?

Doeregulator

The title says it all, im already getting bored with turkey season being over and i am already itching for whitetails, so to kill the summer i would like to try hog hunting, but i dont know where to go in iowa or if its even worth trying in iowa yet, any pointers?

Hopefully there is no where in Iowa worth your time. Ever! Sorry that is not something i want to see here.

I dont either, but according to dnr they are in southern iowa and if they are i will gladly throw the reaper at as many as possible.

There used to be a few around our farm in louisa county but the locals cleaned them up quick. There is still an old hog trap out on the neighbors the dnr supposedly put out. I used to check it out all the time hoping something would go in it.

There is a place in NE Iowa that offers hog hunts for sale, it is a fenced operation, although I think it is like 300 acres. I am not interested in starting a fenced/free range free for all here, but I will say that if the area is that large IMO you would by no means be shooting fish in a barrel.

Years ago I went on a hog hunt in Texas that I suppose was technically a fenced operation, but the property was large enough that the fence wasn't a factor and the hogs were plenty wild. I suspect that the place in NE Iowa would be similar.

Other than that, I don't know of any area in Iowa where you will find any wild hogs. If some exist, people get on them real quick to stop them from spreading.

Im going to that place next weekend in ne iowa. It's in monona iowa. Ill let you know how good its is.

I don't know much about this place: North Star Gameland

Pretty sure a friend had a 200" buck he raised at this place a season or two ago and nobody saw it the whole season. So my guess is that it's pretty rugged ground.

There used to be a few around our farm in louisa county but the locals cleaned them up quick. There is still an old hog trap out on the neighbors the dnr supposedly put out. I used to check it out all the time hoping something would go in it.

Some Jerk let 4 go early spring and in less than a year we had 22 running around. Most got killed around shot gun season, I ended up killing the last 4 after deer season.

So i went to the hog place in monona iowa and its called scenic view ranch. Well its not like it was the funnest hunt i have ever been on but its worth the difference in amount of money you are going to spend on a hog from the locker and the cost of going hunting for one. The people there are pretty friendly and nice i cant say a bad thing about them. But the hunt isnt real hard just a lot of spot and stalk walking with my bow. But the hog will charge you which was kind of fun, they aren't real fast lol. So i would say if you are wanting to hunt for a hog rather than buy one from a locker well worth. Me and my guys thought after all said and done it will cost us about $100 more to hunt than just buy one from the locker so 100 bucks difference for "hunted" rather than bought from the locker not a bad deal.

So i went to the hog place in monona iowa and its called scenic view ranch. Well its not like it was the funnest hunt i have ever been on but its worth the difference in amount of money you are going to spend on a hog from the locker and the cost of going hunting for one. The people there are pretty friendly and nice i cant say a bad thing about them. But the hunt isnt real hard just a lot of spot and stalk walking with my bow. But the hog will charge you which was kind of fun, they aren't real fast lol. So i would say if you are wanting to hunt for a hog rather than buy one from a locker well worth. Me and my guys thought after all said and done it will cost us about $100 more to hunt than just buy one from the locker so 100 bucks difference for "hunted" rather than bought from the locker not a bad deal.
Hog are not real fast !!!! I would hate too try an out run one .

Top Bottom