Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Which ice fishing flasher?

jclaws

PMA Member
I am looking to buy a flasher for ice fishing, but not wanting to spend a ton of money. Any recomendations? i have only ice fished a few times in my life, but the guys with the flashers seem to catch more fish.

The showdown 5.6 is on sale for 200 dollars at bass pro. It is regularly 370, great finder. It's last years model but still an excellent deal.

Ive been using a Vexilar for several years and I love it.. It's to the point that if someone next to me wants to try it out for a bit, I just quit fishing until I get it back. Watching the flasher gives you something to do and passes the time.

x2 on the Vex. Don't overlook used. Much like bows, a lot of die hard ice fisherman like to upgrade to the newest technology regularly and look to sell what they had to recoup some of the cost. You can find some very good online deals for used FL18's and FL20's. The 20 has some nice upgrade features, but if you don't fish a lot you might not even notice. One last tip...if you have a son or daughter fishing with you and you want to use the thing, buy 2 :D

NWBuck

I have a vexilar fl8 and a hummingbird35. Alot of good things about both of them, but the only advantage I have fround with the hummingbird is that you can fish right next to any other flasher and there is no interference. With the vexilar you get some interference. The hummingbird is also a bigger screen so to speak.

Im running an old FL-8 that I bought used and have no complaints. I would definitely look into the Vexilar line and not be afraid to buy used.

I have a vexilar fl8 and a hummingbird35. Alot of good things about both of them, but the only advantage I have fround with the hummingbird is that you can fish right next to any other flasher and there is no interference. With the vexilar you get some interference. The hummingbird is also a bigger screen so to speak.

The interference with other flashers is the one downfall ive also had with my vexilar.. thankfully not many of my friends have one so i also get to outfish them :)

My brother has a Marcum LX-5 and i have a Humminbird Ice35. They both work great, so don't think you have to have a Vex.

I would love to pick up one of the newer LCD models one of these days.

any flasher will get the job done. figure out your price range go from there. I own a marcum LX5 but have used vexilar and humminbird. They all get the job done. IMO, marcum has the most features for the $ but the other brands will help you catch just as many fish.

If you want the Vex. check out Reeds Sports Google them they always run deals on vex. and no sales tax to Iowa res.

I really like my show down. I like to zoom in 1 foot sections . That way when you fishing in brush you can see it better or when your in deep water your not looking at blank space. Bad thing is the feed back from the vex is bad. But the new software is suppose to fix that.

I ended up buying a vexilar fl12. And now that i have it the ice is all melting!! Thanks guys!

I ended up buying a vexilar fl12. And now that i have it the ice is all melting!! Thanks guys!

haha...I'm in the exact same boat. I picked up a used FL-18 from craigslist two weeks ago and have only gotten out twice. It's raining and 43 degrees, as I type.:confused:

I went with the 18 because I wanted the bottom lock/6' zoom feature.

Vex's are mobile units, for around $100 you can get a different transducer for your boat and use it year round.

Top Bottom