Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

which season?

J

jason

Which season do most of you boys hunt? I hunt 4th season. But for the past two years the temp has been in the 70s and 80s.
I was also wondering if the temp affects turky's like it does deer? When it gets hot, do they just rest under a big shade tree.
Thanks!

I hunted 2nd and 4th season last year. I scored on two gobblers. I don't think that the weather plays much of a roll in turkey activey, as much as deer anyway, But by 4th season a large majority of the breeding is already been done and the birds, for the most part aren't as hot as they are early in the season. You can still find some love sick toms during fourth season though.

I always used to shotgun hunt 3rd & 4th seasons. The chances of getting a "henned up" gobbler were reduced. I also liked having more foliage on the trees and brush. On the weather bit, I personally think that when it's warmer the birds seem to like it more. Of course those mini-ostrich's are pretty damn goofy and you never know WHAT to expect out of them.

MW

My opinion...the earlier the better! If they had a season in late March I'd be signed up in a hurry. The reason, around here anyway, is pretty simple...you are calling virgin birds. By 3rd season they all know every call in the woods and your best bet is just to "get in the way" of a gobbler. I'll be hunting 1st and 4th (because the second tag has to be 4th), but in order to hunt that first season you've got to be able to hunt Monday through Thursday. Also, be prepared for some winter weather during that first season...some years snow camo is the most appropriate. Last year I shot my first season gobbler in a -13 wind chill, and by 4th season I was swatting mosquitos...only in Iowa.
smile.gif
During first season hunt the roost hard, but during 4th I'd rather be hunting at noon than at 7 AM. Good luck!

NWBuck

Hunted 2nd and 4th last year and tagged two gobblers! One thing that I have noticed is that it is a different game in May than it is in April. Both are fun!

Hunted 2nd season last year with three college buddies and we tagged 4 big gobblers in 3 days of hunting....it was awesome! Also hunted the Missouri season and 4th season in Iowa last year but didn't connect on a big one....got really close though. Good luck and good hunting!
-GunnerJon

Top Bottom