Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wide 3.5 year old bucks with short tines

Trapshooter1

This buck moved onto my farm during the rut and has become a regular on the place. I believe he s a 3.5 year old. He s got a great spread 20 inches. But just doesn't have much for tine length. I have a friend thats coming down to hunt the late Muzz season, and am wondering if I should give him the green light to shoot this buck????
This begs my question are short tined bucks always short tined?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211229-062417_SPYPOINT.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-062417_SPYPOINT.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Screenshot_20211229-062404_SPYPOINT.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-062404_SPYPOINT.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_20211229-062555_SPYPOINT.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-062555_SPYPOINT.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 74
  • Screenshot_20211229-062539_SPYPOINT.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-062539_SPYPOINT.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 83
I have some of those every year. I’ve never seen them change to tall tines, but some can blow up with a lot of points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

d903607ed6d27144314dbd6dce6900e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would hold off on shooting him now, it seems like a lot of bucks didn't grow to there full potential this year with the drought.

I had a short tine buck show up in 2018, best guess he was at least 5,12 points and around 150. He hung around the neighborhood for 3 years and got bigger every year. I found him dead last spring shed hunting. He scored low 170's as a 7x7, longest tine was 7", had 44" of mass measurments.

i would personally hold off. being that he showed up during the rut and stayed, it is very likely that he will go back to his home at some point. So basically he doesnt hold alot of weight on your herd.
With that being said, if your buddy is happy with him then by all means blast away! Because he is most likely not a homebody and will leave anyways.

Now if he is around next year and looks the same, bye bye time

I doubt he will get much more tine length. But, I bet he will start to pack on mass and some stickers here and there. I'm odd, I sort of like racks that are a little more unique like that, i think he could be a cool looking buck.

I agree with others, hold off. Penn State University has a whitetail deer research center. I visited once and they display shed racks of bucks over their lifetime, it’s amazing. One deer in particular was a spike at 1 1/2 and blew into a true trophy. I guess you never know.

They call him soup can. He won't touch bottom, but he'll beat the hell out of the sides.

Lol. Soup Can I like that. Should that be his name. The soup can buck??? I'm not sure he is going to leave.(Been Living here for almost 3 months now.) If he doesn't get run off by other mature deer I hope he sticks around.

We re going to pass him.

The reason I asked about possibly shooting this one is, I have several other 2.5-3.5 year olds that have good frames/Tines and have some great potential. But we ll let (Soup Can) walk this late season.

Lol. Soup Can I like that. Should that be his name. The soup can buck??? I'm not sure he is going to leave.(Been Living here for almost 3 months now.) If he doesn't get run off by other mature deer I hope he sticks around.

We re going to pass him.

The reason I asked about possibly shooting this one is, I have several other 2.5-3.5 year olds that have good frames/Tines and have some great potential. But we ll let (Soup Can) walk this late season.
If you name him Soup Can, you're going to funny looks unless you follow it up with the rest.

I knew a really short and round dude years back that told me the Soup Can thing. I shot beer out my nose when I heard it.

Top Bottom