Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wifey Lays One Out

THA4

A Few Steps Ahead Of You
My wife, Kathryn has hunted turkeys with me for 5 years, only killing one three years ago. Its been a tough road, but for a variety of different reasons, we have struggled lately. I have been fishing one of my favorite lakes this spring quite a bit and have noticed a lot of gobblers near the shoreline, which made me believe there was little to no pressure on the public ground that surrounds the lake.

I thought it would be fun to camp/rent a cabin and spend a long weekend down there and use the boat as a means of locating and moving in on birds. Well, it worked like a charm! We had an uneventful morning in the blind, other than two hunters trying to sneak on my DSDs, so we decided to take to the lake.

We pulled into a cove near where we had heard some gobbling that morning and after the first series on the crow call, a bird instantly fired back. We tied the boat off and went after him. Ten minutes later, we were set up and calling to this bird who only responded occasionally when I would cut aggressively on my box call.

Finally, Kathryn said those words I was hoping to hear, "I see him!" and her breathing quickened. I spotted the bird working through the plum brush at 30 yards and closing. He popped into strut once and she put the bead on his head and dumped him. We were elated and I'm not really sure who was more excited, her or I. One thing is for sure, she was way over due and we both couldn't be happier, especially since I managed to capture it on film.

Its a real blessing to share the woods with the ones you care most for, this hunt is no exception!

:way:

23 lbs
9 inch beard
1 inch spurs

picture.php

Last edited:
More pix

Here are a few more photos.

The last thing he saw....
picture.php

Here's the lake view of the scene of the crime
picture.php

The boat was KEY!
picture.php

Kathryn with her favorite furry friend... (no, its not me...)
picture.php

What a morning...
picture.php

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom