Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wild Turkey Drinks

D

Driftless

I was trout fishing in NE Iowa today and saw lots of turkey tracks next to the stream. Looked like they were coming down off the hills to get a drink.

Got me to thinking about turkey habits. Is there a certain time of day that turkeys will head for the water? Before or after feeding? Whenever they get thirsty? If there is a pattern to their drinking habits, does anyone hunt near water sources? (Hmmm...Do turkeys have designated flyers in case they drink too much?)

I have a pond on the land that I turkey hunt and have thought about trying to hunt the water like I hunt foods sources for deer. There are a few times I have seen birds walking out in the open towards the pond in the middle of the day!

Darn it, I thought we were going to talk about my favorite drink...

That stuff gets in your helmet...

Sorry, it's Friday afternoon and I am not motivated!

Go Early, Stay Late... Limb Chicken

Hey Driftless, what stream were you fishing? Just wondering how the fishing was...

After two years of turkey hunting, I'm hoping to bag my first gobbler in Winnesheik Co. this year.

Norse,

I was on North Bear just upstream from the bridge on the public ground.

Good luck & Go Knights!
wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Driftless (edited 02-13-2002).]

Driftless-

I would gess turkey's mainly use water, about mid day, when it's the warmest. Like when the hens return to there nests. I remember the first year i hunted turkey's, I saw a bunch of turkey tracks down by a creeck, the temp was in the 80's!!!
Good luck

ps. I don't know about the designated flyers, i think they can handle there drinks pretty well! lol!

Top Bottom