Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wilkweed

TimmyD525

PMA Member
Been hearing a lot of people using dried Milkweed plants for a better wind indicator, but I can't seem to find information on how and when to find it here in Iowa. Anyone have experience or know anything about when and where to find it?
Thanks

I just stumble on it by accident while I'm in the field. When I do I have baggies ready to harvest it:) the Milkweed probably not ready yet.

You can get all the milkweed "fluff" you need in about September or so. The pods are still growing now...wait for them to mature later this summer. I use it all the time and much prefer it to powders. If you have weird, swirling winds a milkweed fluff will sometimes float away from you...only to later float back by you. Yikes! Time to change stands. :)

Yep echo what the others say . Just wait a month or two and it'll be in the road ditches , CRP and around ponds . Save a few chew cans and you'll have the best windicator out there for free .

Yep echo what the others say . Just wait a month or two and it'll be in the road ditches , CRP and around ponds . Save a few chew cans and you'll have the best windicator out there for free .
Cut a hole in the top of chew can ..... then grab some and let it go.

I just tried this last year, after seeing something about it on here. Just happened to see some plants with open pods when checking cameras one day (probably Septemberish), and took a couple pods worth. Stuffed them in a tiny Ziploc baggie that just happened to be in the truck. I've also seen/read people use a 35mm film canister with a hole in the lid as well (possibly harder to find than a chew can these days). Or just rubber band the pod and use as the holder. I did like how you could see it floating longer than powder.

Top Bottom