Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winke-Brandstad Interview

I think Bill did a good job with the interview. It would have been nice to have it go a little longer, but I'm sure Bill talked to him for a while without the cameras rolling. I watch the online show every week and I bet he told the gov that seeing that many deer out in the field isn't the norm every time out. Especially this year

Fletch lighten up. You're too easy. Bill is a nice guy and is informed but I wish he would have let the governor speak more. Bill recited the issues and concerns of the parties not permitting much feedback. If you put a clock on each I would bet Bill had more lip time.

Last edited:
No matter what is said for the camera,,you can bet the farm on this,,,,The government is looking for more $-flow, no matter how they can get it, and in a Farm state especially,those ,"Brown Rats", have to go! Republican or Democrat that is the policy. We can scream all we want.Other interests are screaming louder. Just me the pessimist speaking.:D

No matter what is said for the camera,,you can bet the farm on this,,,,The government is looking for more $-flow, no matter how they can get it, We can scream all we want.Other interests are screaming louder. Just me the pessimist speaking.:D

That's the dead honest truth. Although they simply tend to outspend us hunters on these issues.

I'm going to be optimistic and say Bill and Terry had more meaningful conversation off camera. I think Bill is knowledgeable and well spoken, but I doubt he'd be able to get Terry to go on record saying we need more deer.

they are looking to cut (i think a million) from the DNR budget this year. since its an election year, there is NO way, that they will ask for a resident license fee increase. so you know where that will lead. they see the huge number of NR tag requests that go unsold every year. thats a big pile of cash left on the table. we will need a HUGE email/phone call flood on the legislature to nip this in the bud. be sure to mention that NR's don't vote. by the gov asking for this, any legislator that jumps on board should be reminded, that the gov's job is most likely safe, come november...are they as secure in alienating the hunter's vote from their tally?

they are looking to cut (i think a million) from the DNR budget this year. since its an election year, there is NO way, that they will ask for a resident license fee increase. so you know where that will lead. they see the huge number of NR tag requests that go unsold every year. thats a big pile of cash left on the table. we will need a HUGE email/phone call flood on the legislature to nip this in the bud. be sure to mention that NR's don't vote. by the gov asking for this, any legislator that jumps on board should be reminded, that the gov's job is most likely safe, come november...
-------------------------------------------

You might change focus and work (at a minimum) with the landowners in Iowa--R and NR--- and come up with a plan. Working together may work long term so that the number of bucks and does increases in your state, rather than the large decrease that has happened recently.

Last edited:
This made it blatantly clear, if you want to change the direction of the deer herd, you will need to do it without the help of Terry Branstad. The sooner we come to this realization, the better off we'll be.

Here's my take away for what it's worth....
1) I strongly feel the Governor needs to take the next's season's hunt on an average farm in the upper 2/3rd's of the state. Instead of hunting 500-2000 acre chunks of the most premium ground in the state- I think he needs an invitation & take the action to hunt Johnny Q's 80 acres in Humboldt co or something.

2) I do hear the support for increasing NR tags. It's coming and he's on board. This is my opinion from the snippet he mentioned and what I've heard him say before. I know what side he's on. Whatever your opinion on the subject- he will increase given the chance.

3) To add to #2. He's supporting and giving out governor tags that continue to drive higher NR demand. He is giving out tags that actively market to millions to drive demand to Iowa (& it does and is genius marketing). I personally think he wants to keep the Celeb tags in place to put more pressure & demand on raising NR tag quotas when the time is right. Gov tags and NR tag quotas will go together well with all the demand and he's a strategic and smart politician that knows it. Whatever ur position is- more demand for tags is still being created and he's T-ing it up for a big increase.

This made it blatantly clear, if you want to change the direction of the deer herd, you will need to do it without the help of Terry Branstad. The sooner we come to this realization, the better off we'll be.

Anyone that did not know this fact several years ago is either living under a rock or too clueless to be any help to the cause. Terry has not listened to our deer biologists and their recommendations for years. This is a non-story at this point.

Anyone that did not know this fact several years ago is either living under a rock or too clueless to be any help to the cause. Terry has not listened to our deer biologists and their recommendations for years. This is a non-story at this point.
It's the whole story. It is the hunters living under rocks and the clueless that are piss pounding the does and shed bucks as we post.

This is part of a reply Winke gave to a question on his "ask Winke" section of MWW.

I think the governor is well intended. He has a lot on his plate and it is easy for him to just rubber stamp something and say, "keep it the way it is." Off camera (I wish we had gotten it on camera) I asked him if he was going to reduce doe harvest quotas and he said he was after seeing the license and harvest numbers for 2013 and talking to many people. We will see if that occurs. I believe it will. Is it too little too late? Probably. But it is a step in the right direction. Good luck. (1-12-14)

I guess we'll see.

In actuality, I read more from you all's posts - I think the hunt next year with him (& it should again be FILMED) should be on public land. For sure not on a farm that is loaded with foodplots as that is absolutely not the average farm.

I really do have a problem with him having all these crap stances & executive orders on management while he & the Gov tag buddies go hunt premium farms. Kinda like Congress exempting themselves from Obamacare after they created it. I have a serious issue with this situation.

In actuality, I read more from you all's posts - I think the hunt next year with him (& it should again be FILMED) should be on public land. For sure not on a farm that is loaded with foodplots as that is absolutely not the average farm.

I really do have a problem with him having all these crap stances & executive orders on management while he & the Gov tag buddies go hunt premium farms. Kinda like Congress exempting themselves from Obamacare after they created it. I have a serious issue with this situation.

There are plenty of public lands in this state with massive food plots. Have him sit over one of those and see what comes out during shooting hours. Nothing...guaranteed. I've been dumb enough to try it before several times. Only time I've ever seen deer on a public land food plot was in 2012 late muzz season...I hunted a 5 acre standing bean field that was probably a mile and half from the road, had to go through some deep snow to get there like an idiot. Saw about 40 deer on that field that came out about 10 minutes before shooting time ended. I was literally shocked. Nothing big enough to shoot and I couldn't justify shooting a doe and having a drag from hell...but it was cool to have that kind of action on a public piece and that late in the year.

I don't know if Terry would be willing to trek it a mile and half through deep snow and sit his butt on the cold snowy ground for 3 or 4 hours though. :D

There are plenty of public lands in this state with massive food plots. Have him sit over one of those and see what comes out during shooting hours. Nothing...guaranteed. I've been dumb enough to try it before several times. Only time I've ever seen deer on a public land food plot was in 2012 late muzz season...I hunted a 5 acre standing bean field that was probably a mile and half from the road, had to go through some deep snow to get there like an idiot. Saw about 40 deer on that field that came out about 10 minutes before shooting time ended. I was literally shocked. Nothing big enough to shoot and I couldn't justify shooting a doe and having a drag from hell...but it was cool to have that kind of action on a public piece and that late in the year.

I don't know if Terry would be willing to trek it a mile and half through deep snow and sit his butt on the cold snowy ground for 3 or 4 hours though. :D

Heck, Bill even resorted to hunting public ground this year. If you watched his shows this year, he said he was going to. Thats how bad it is if he has to leave his private deer mecca to hunt public to shoot a mature buck.

Heck, Bill even resorted to hunting public ground this year. If you watched his shows this year, he said he was going to. Thats how bad it is if he has to leave his private deer mecca to hunt public to shoot a mature buck.

I think the main problem with his area is like he stated in his blog, his area has gone to war with the does and 3.5 year superior genetic bucks the last decade thanks to the hype it received in the mid 2000's. I can't point any blame, we went to war with the does in one of the best areas in the state and now its not worth a crap.

The governor who a lot of us as hunters support, is going to do exactly what we as citizens of Iowa elected him to do... what is best for the majority of Iowa citizens. But we as hunters are in the minority on this issue and none of us like it.

I have to ask this...How can the dozens of self-promoting video people here in Iowa continue to exploit what is at this stage a such fragile resource and then not bring to light their role in why the quality of the resource is quickly diminishing? Combine that with the late rifle season, party hunting, guiding ..., throw in a pinch of EHD and you have the true recipe for collapse. Is it worth pimping out, at the expense of the quality of the experience for some notoriety and maybe some free stuff? If the over commercializing via video cameras, guiding continues at the rate it has been.....prepare yourselves, what was, will never come back. There is no question that some of the "blame" for the quickly diminishing quality is on the Gov, DNR, NR, party hunting, late rifle, guides... But its time to realize the role of the guy who's reflection is in the lens of the camera. Something to think about. This post is not meant to be a character attack or an attack on capitalism what so ever. Its just an observation on the evolution of what's happened here over the last several years to where we are today.

Top Bottom