Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Winke-Brandstad Interview

The governor who a lot of us as hunters support, is going to do exactly what we as citizens of Iowa elected him to do... what is best for the majority of Iowa citizens. But we as hunters are in the minority on this issue and none of us like it.

I have to ask this...How can the dozens of self-promoting video people here in Iowa continue to exploit what is at this stage a such fragile resource and then not bring to light their role in why the quality of the resource is quickly diminishing? Combine that with the late rifle season, party hunting, guiding ..., throw in a pinch of EHD and you have the true recipe for collapse. Is it worth pimping out, at the expense of the quality of the experience for some notoriety and maybe some free stuff? If the over commercializing via video cameras, guiding continues at the rate it has been.....prepare yourselves, what was, will never come back. There is no question that some of the "blame" for the quickly diminishing quality is on the Gov, DNR, NR, party hunting, late rifle, guides... But its time to realize the role of the guy who's reflection is in the lens of the camera. Something to think about. This post is not meant to be a character attack or an attack on capitalism what so ever. Its just an observation on the evolution of what's happened here over the last several years to where we are today.

BINGO! I agree with this to a T!

The Gov going to Bills farm and seeing 40 deer in the field may not have been the best place to take him? Maybe I would have gar holed him and then he would have been like woo where are the deer?

I saw problems way back in 2008 when I would see 60 to 70 deer in the field and no bucks over 130..not a one and the deer were like zombies, very little to zero chasing going on even in the rut. Now cant find many does at all south of Rt2.

Of course revenue is going to be down on tag sales. I hunted pubic land this year and seen 3 deer the whole season 1 buck 3x3 and 2 doe. And everyday I was out us bow hunters were being trumped by some idiot with a shot gun blasting shot after shot by us.

I also hunted what was supposed to be private land and again seen very few deer 2 spike bucks and 3 doe. Not to mention I found a total of 23 cameras on our so called private land not put up by us. Contacted owners the cards were pulled and sure enough idiots out there with pistols during archery only...

So with this being said any increase in deer quota tag sales be it NR or resident will do more harm than good. I have hunted Plymouth and Woodbury County the last five years and everyone has seen a major drop in deer activity and deer sightings.

Of course revenue is going to be down on tag sales. I hunted pubic land this year and seen 3 deer the whole season 1 buck 3x3 and 2 doe. And everyday I was out us bow hunters were being trumped by some idiot with a shot gun blasting shot after shot by us.

I also hunted what was supposed to be private land and again seen very few deer 2 spike bucks and 3 doe. Not to mention I found a total of 23 cameras on our so called private land not put up by us. Contacted owners the cards were pulled and sure enough idiots out there with pistols during archery only...

So with this being said any increase in deer quota tag sales be it NR or resident will do more harm than good. I have hunted Plymouth and Woodbury County the last five years and everyone has seen a major drop in deer activity and deer sightings.

I personally think you'd be the ideal fit to host Governor Brandstad's hunt next year! I officially nominate you to host the hunt, a nice little interview and post the action up on youtube, etc for all to see next season. You are by far more like the regular guy & situation than hunting a 1000 acre deer paradise. I feel for your difficult season, along with most other guys.

Top Bottom