Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

With zero luck

M

MTwishes

Well my job has landed me in southerw missouri in a little town in southern missouri. The story starts Friday night with me stopping for a cuple of barley pops and hopes of meeting a couple locals, maybe even a place to do some shed hunting. I had 1 budweiser the next thing i know i get maced and smashed in the face with a pool stick, instantly broke my nose. So today i take a little ride knock on some (13) doors trying to gain acess all with the same reply we dont allow your kind on our property, so finally at the last house i asked what my kind was, simple reply your a yankee son. Are people like this everywhere or what?

Born and raised in Southeastern Missouri, moved after I graduated college. No not all southern people don't like northerners. If your in a small town, then you probably have a problem, because they have nothing better to do then to hate "something" and you were probably that something that day. Talk to larger farmers, cattle farmers, and so on. You will gain access with them.
waytogo.gif
If you happen to be in the area where my family farms are, I'll give you a hundred names of farmers that will give you access.

sounds like a rough nieghborhood. If and when you hear the banjo's playing run like the wind. It only gets wierder the further south you go.

Can't help you out there, your not near south enough. Lebanon is about 170 miles northwest from where I am from.

Your not just a Yankee your a damn Yankee to them...
grin.gif

A yankee comes down to visit... A damn yankee comes down and stays...

I will say with the waterfowling I have done in the southern states a lot of people down there are still fighting the war.

Drive north about an hour and hit soem of the public areas around Jefferson City and even further north into the columbia area. Nicer folks up in that neck of the woods. Lebanon area is loaded with that kind.

You want to see me get fighting mad and what to tear some heads off, take me trout fishing at Bennet Springs

i think they are mad we (my company) received a 2 million dollar contract and there women might find us intriguing. i swear some of them are the first in their family to walk upright. either way i new i was in trouble when i saw confederate flags and uncased shot guns in back windows. anyways my hats off to all the mullet wearing, tight jean wearing, lack of vocabulary speaking JOE DIRTS out there for they know what life isnt about.

mike

[ QUOTE ]
You want to see me get fighting mad and what to tear some heads off, take me trout fishing at Bennet Springs

[/ QUOTE ] Had the same type of experience at Bennet Springs Shredder.... Different breed down yonder...
confused.gif

this place is on the map between deliverence and hell, i promise that much

I spent some time down in that country doin some railroading. I remember going into a gas station in some small town and thinking that I might not get out without some kind of trouble. It certainly was "Deliverance" all over again. Nothing did happen but I don't remember ever being so happy to get away from a place in my life. I've really been in some doozies, but nothing compares to that gas station!

I was stuck at Fort Lost in the Woods for over a year when I was in the service.Just go east to Mark Twain National Forest where I did most of my hunting with acres of access.Also look for land around Lake of the Ozarks or Truman Lake.I was only nineteen at the time,young,dumb and full of ***,but enjoyed kicking ass and taking names at the strip joint.The sametime I was sent to the woods,my dad bought a bar in Springfield and would go over there on weekends to work the door.You are right that the women huddle around,but I always thought they were attracted to me because they never had a guy with a full set of teeth.
grin.gif

If what you want is to shedd hunt there should be lots of places down there that are public areas. I don't know but I would guess that you could shedd hunt at most of the State Parks there. There is a huge one arround Osage Beach and several at the trout parks in that part of the state. I go down to Lebanon and Bennett Springs 4 or 5 times a year just for the trout fishing and really enjoy it there and find the majority of people to be friendly. As to getting mad fishing, I will admit that on the weekends when there are crowds there are some inconsiderate people who think they own things. With a little research on some of these jerks that seem to show up consistently, I have found that most come from KC or St Louis with the big city aggressivness and sence of entitlement. The locals who come out during the week are usually very friendly and helpful. I would bet if you talked to the people at Weavers or Gastons tackle shops they could steer you in the right direction.

[ QUOTE ]
I had 1 budweiser the next thing i know i get maced and smashed in the face with a pool stick, instantly broke my nose. So today i take a little ride knock on some (13) doors trying to gain acess all with the same reply we dont allow your kind on our property, so finally at the last house i asked what my kind was, simple reply your a yankee son.

[/ QUOTE ] Did you miss this part? I know Lebanon pretty well and the locals are really not that friendly, unless you know someone there, then your alright. They pretty much have the attitude of "If Joe thinks your alright, then your alright."

Top Bottom