Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wolf shot in Van Buren county

Fox Valley Hunter

PMA Member
There is a story on bowhuntingroad.com about a possible wolf getting shot in Van Buren county a couple weeks ago. Here is a pic of it laying next to a coyote. image-3454927490.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone ever see a 95lb coyote? The blog story seems legit but ya never know. Hopefully the DNR will say something.

Anyone ever see a 95lb coyote? The blog story seems legit but ya never know. Hopefully the DNR will say something.

It's a coyote coloration is exactly the same exactly!!!!!and some males are huge they just laid it next to a tiny one to make something out of nothing.

I have never seen a coyote that size before but that doesn't mean its not possible, I suppose. Evidently the fur buyer has never seen one that large either since he called the DNR to come check it out. I will be interested to see the test results as well.

I'm saying wolf. The snout on that dog is definitely not 100 percent coyote. We had one shot in this area a few years back. DNR ran the tests and confirmed.

I heard from Billy that his cousins neighbors boss's step brother saw big foot walking it on a leash :)
Seriously though, I think it looks like a timber wolf or a coywolf. Patiently awaiting an official report. Does anyone know a more detailed location? I hunt Van Buren.

I heard from Billy that his cousins neighbors boss's step brother saw big foot walking it on a leash :) Seriously though, I think it looks like a timber wolf or a coywolf. Patiently awaiting an official report. Does anyone know a more detailed location? I hunt Van Buren.

I think it was the neighbors cousin not the cousins neighbor but who cares about those minor details. ;)

I heard it was in the Lebanon area.

From what I've heard even if it is 100 percent wolf the dnr might say it isn't so the hunter doesn't get punished

Punished? I thought you were ok if you shot a wolf as long as you thought it was a coyote. State wouldn't stand a chance in court if I'm wrong.

From what I've heard even if it is 100 percent wolf the dnr might say it isn't so the hunter doesn't get punished

Should be nothing to be punished for unless they are protected by the state of Iowa. Federal protections (ESA) were removed from the Great Lakes population of grey wolves a few years ago.

Punished? I thought you were ok if you shot a wolf as long as you thought it was a coyote. State wouldn't stand a chance in court if I'm wrong.

Again, I can't speak for state regs, but there is a provision for ESA Take violations called the McKitrick Provision that allows for this. However, there are instances where citations can still issued.

Having said all that, it does look wolf to me and I've seen a few up close.

Wolves are protected in Iowa. Not sure why but they are. The wolf shot in Northern Iowa in December was confiscated, not sure what charges were filed.

Top Bottom