Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wolf shot in Van Buren county

I found the article below in the Des Moines Register. It says it could take 2 to 3 months for the test results.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/news/2016/01/13/dnr-investigates-possible-illegal-wolf-hunting/78759362/

Interesting. I'm sure I'll have visions running through my head when I'm coyote hunting down there in a couple days. Wolves are spooky to me. I've had encounters with them bear hunting and they definitely bring the hair up on your neck.

Would be absolute garbage if they charged these guys. A 90 lb yote obviously has some wolf in it...but I would sure think that was a yote.

Would be absolute garbage if they charged these guys. A 90 lb yote obviously has some wolf in it...but I would sure think that was a yote.

I agree. It has been well documented that coyotes and wolf's crossbreed in Southeast Canada and those genes are in the coyote population and working their way west.

Also don't know why they're protected here anyway. After watching the mess they are dealing with out West and up North I sure as hell don't want them here.

Last edited:
I agree. It has been well documented that coyotes and wolf's crossbreed in Southeast Canada and those genes are in the coyote population and working their way west.

Also don't know why they're protected here anyway. After watching the mess they are dealing with out West and up North I sure as hell don't want them here.

Because they were a native species.

Following the 3 "S"'s would be a good idea in a situation like this.

Agreed, but also...DNTAPATPTOTI. :D

Do Not Take Any Pictures And Then Post Them On The Internet. :D

Really though...if that animal was say 200 yards out and by himself...I don't think even the most experienced and diligent coyote hunter in Southern Iowa would have ever thought, "Wolf", as they were taking aim. I don't know the circumstances in this case, but I could see where it would be very, very easy to make that mistake.

Last edited:
Agreed, but also...DNTAPATPTOTI. :D Do Not Take Any Pictures And Then Post Them On The Internet. :D Really though...if that animal was say 200 yards out and by himself...I don't think even the most experienced and diligent coyote hunter in Southern Iowa would have ever thought, "Wolf", as they were taking aim. I don't know the circumstances in this case, but I could see where it would be very, very easy to make that mistake.

The 3rd "S" should pretty much cover DNTAPATPTOTI. . I still can't figure out why people feel the need to express every moment of their life through social media. That is not aimed at the folks on this site by the way.

Anyway, couldn't agree more about being responsible for deciphering the size difference between a large coyote and a very large coyote in a hunting situation. I am all for positively identifying your target, but when coyote hunting in a state where one doesn't expect to see a a wolf how can they hold a hunter responsible for trying to keep the predator population in balance.

According to dnr descriptions there's not much difference in size between a small wolf and a big coyote. 5 inches to the shoulder, 6 inches of length and 10 pounds? Pretty tough to judge that at 200 yards.

Top Bottom