Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Would you pass or shoot?

CurtisWalker

Just saw a thread on another forum asking if you would have passed or shot the Milo Hanson buck given he was on your farm and in range. The guy said the deer was estimated to be between 3.5-4.5 and I know most people on here wait til the buck is 5.5+. So what would you do shoot or pass?

gruenefeld_superbucks1.jpg

I don't think most people on this forum wait until the deer is 5.5+, even though they claim that. When the buck is big enough to give you a hard-on, you shoot... until your out of shells.

Some people aren't gonna like my answer.

It 100% depends on where I'm hunting. Say for instance I'm hunting a farm that has very large fully mature bucks, I would at least consider passing. I try to shoot 5 year old bucks or older on my farm at home and know what's running around, plus an unbelievably high number of bucks make it to 5 years old or older on the home farm. Now when I'm out of state hunting it's gonna be about impossible for me to pass that buck......

Circumstances are the deciding factor for me in all likelihood. But the biggest buck I've ever passed was a 165 to 170" gross buck and I later killed a 190" plus gross buck that year.....

Do I know that he's running around or does he just show up? I guarantee if he just showed up and it was the first time seeing him everyone would attempt to kill him. I can almost guarantee even if you knew he was running around your area and had trail cam pics everyone would still try killing him. Pass up a world record class buck? If you say you would pass him because you want to shoot a 5 year old I wouldn't believe ya. Unless you are hunting high fence there's no way you would pass that critter. I'm shooting and probably missing!

Seeing as his 5 point side the year before was in the mid-90" range, I'd say he was probably old enough to shoot...

I would tranquilize him- cut off the antlers and then get him the next year after he is bigger!:)

Me Too Great answer! I would tranquilize him- cut off the antlers and then get him the next year after he is bigger!:)

I don't think most people on this forum wait until the deer is 5.5+, even though they claim that. When the buck is big enough to give you a hard-on, you shoot... until your out of shells.

I agree with this although there are a few exceptions that really do it. The point being is that everybody has a break point. I will pass a young buck until his rack is big enough to be my best which is mid 50's. At that point I don't care if he's 1.5 or 10.5 because it's my best deer.

I also doubt a lot of deer truly get passed. I think most never are presented a true shot opportunity, but they consider an encounter a pass. We all know that a lot hunters inflate scores and stories. That's why I listen way more than I talk with people about deer. I don't want to be the downer on a guy or call his BS because there really is no reason to for the most part.

Like most.....I would miss then have nightmares, obsess over the animal that almost was leading to divorce and an eventual trip to the psychiatric ward.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Like most.....I would miss then have nightmares, obsess over the animal that almost was leading to divorce and an eventual trip to the psychiatric ward.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

That's me on a 155'! haha. But seriously, I'd be trembling so bad that I'd drop my weapon and he'd just stand there waiting while I fumble to pick it back up, then my sights would be off so he would just stand there while I take shot after shot, missing in front, behind, over and under...twice for each! Then when I'm out of slugs/arrows, he would come closer, and walk right on by me, tail waving as he goes by. So yeah, I'd shoot.

Nobody here is passing on that deer....not a single person. ..guys that say "I just like to harvest deer that are 5.5 or mature" are full of it and think it sounds good to voice because all the tv shows do it...tv hosts do it because they have a bazillion acres to hunt and an endless amount of nice bucks.

That's me on a 155'! haha. But seriously, I'd be trembling so bad that I'd drop my weapon and he'd just stand there waiting while I fumble to pick it back up, then my sights would be off so he would just stand there while I take shot after shot, missing in front, behind, over and under...twice for each! Then when I'm out of slugs/arrows, he would come closer, and walk right on by me, tail waving as he goes by. So yeah, I'd shoot.

I have this exact dream/nightmare a couple times a year.....no joke

I would pass, not because he's not big enough but by the time I got done shaking he would have shed his antlers.

Hahaha
I've passed deer, as in they walked by inside of 20 yards with a bow and well inside of 100 with a muzzeloader. The biggest being in the low to mid 170's as a known 3 yr old.
A typical 200"er walks by me i dont care if its 14 yrs old or still wet behind the ears. If i have a valid tag and an opportunity im taking it!! All day everyday, everytime..
There isn't a single person on this site that would pass that deer on the hoof from their stand.
A deer like that would cause more long range shots, bad angled shots and everything in between!!!
Anyone on here killed a CLEAN typical that grosses over 200?

I'm still chuckling that the question was asked whether anybody would pass the WORLD RECORD......comical :rolleyes:

Top Bottom