Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wyoming Antelope & Mule Deer

TheMadCatter

It's the time of the year again, I decided to head to Wyoming for the labor day weekend and try to get a mule deer with my bow.

Saturday Day 1:

My buddy (a Wyoming resident) forgot to purchase his Wyoming deer tags and archery permit and had to wait until later in the day to go get them. He set up a tree stand for me and the first morning I didn't see anything. I headed with him to go get his tags and we decided to try a different tactic. We found a spot and decided to hunt it all day. We ran into lots of antelope, mule deer, and whitetail. I passed a 100" 4x4 whitetail and one smaller mule deer. We screwed up on a few stalks and on our way back to the house we passed three more small mule deer (all in velvet).

Sunday Day 2:

We slept in (oops) and then headed out in search of mule deer. After two failed stalks on decent bucks (and shooting a carp), we decided to go back to the truck. We were driving down the road and saw a group of antelope does bedded down on the side of a hill. He dropped me off and I had a successful shot on an OLD doe antelope (on video, I'll get it uploaded later today). She ran about 300 yards and fell over (one lung was destroyed and the arrow exited through the guts because of the hard quartering shot).

After that, we got some intel on some bull elk that were down in the low sage flats. We headed out there and only found a lone cow elk. We saw LOTS of mule deer but most of them were in hard antler and they were outside of my area.

No luck in the later afternoon and had to get back because I had some homework (papers) I had to finish. All we saw were bucks in hard antler in the afternoon.

Monday Day 3:

In the morning I decided to head to the tree stand and sit there. I was lucky enough to have three bucks come underneath the tree stand and I opted for a smaller buck in velvet (since most of the bucks we were seeing were in hard antler).

The arrow hit it's mark at 28 yards and the buck ran about 20 more yards and I put another arrow in him. He ran about 75 yards to the neighbors and they were nice enough to let me retrieve him and they even brought the tractor down to pick up the buck.

Hope you guys enjoy! I have a lot more hunts slated for the rest of the year and can't wait to share them with you!

I'm heading to NE to chase some miles around in a couple of weeks. Its addictive! Might have to try antelope some day.

Top Bottom