Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wyoming Elk

When you cut tags from 25% allocation to 10% on the NR side with people who saved up 25+ years of PP for Sheep and Moose it seems directed. Now with 90/10 it’ll take those people until they’re died to draw the tag. Seems a little deceptive on Wyoming’s side of things. I believe they’re going to do the same thing for Elk, Pronghorn, and Deer soon and your 8pp that you saved up will be greatly devalued.
Same with the 7 day waiting period for shed hunting for Non-Residents in Wyoming on Federal and State lands plus charging them the Conservation Stamp fee of $21.50. 80% of their revenue comes from NR hunters, anglers, and recreation. Then Residents tend to blame every issue on Non-Residents from HMA’s getting torn up to trash being left out. Blaming 10-16% of your hunters for all your problems seems ridiculous to me.

“Very similar to what IA does with their deer hunting.” Isn’t a correct statement as we charge $644 to Non-Residents for hunting and generate about $6,000,000 (approx with PP) from them every year with 9,900 NR tags sold.

I did the math on the 2021 tags. 184,483 minus 9,900 NR allocation.
General Deer licenses sold at $33 is $5,761,239 Resident contribution.
70,196 antlerless minute 9,900 NR allocation. I’ll only charge those at $14 which is $844,144 + $5,761,239 = $6,605,383 which already meets the NR tag pricing not including Resident LOT, Hunting Licenses, or Habitat fees.

I wish Wyoming would go to Resident only that way all they could blame on poor management and treatment of lands would be themselves. Edit: They’re doing great on their elk, but, the Mule Deer and Pronghorn are suffering.
The preference point game has always been a ponzi scheme and nobody noticed until people wanted to cash out that had been paying in for so long. Now WY is a train wreck for NR because of preference points(other states doing that will soon follow). A very large percentage of multiple point holders now, will be aging out of the ability to chase big game or will only be able to do so with guide by the time they actually draw.

WY's moose and sheep population has been on a serious downward trend In the past decade. The tags allocated have been steadily going downhill as well. I got out of the points game for moose after only a couple years in as I looked at the number of points it was taking to draw and realized I'd be in my 70s by the time I drew. The mountain hunting I've done told me that was not in the cards for a 70 year old.

Even with WY going to a 90/10 split for the moose and sheep tags, it still better than the 94.46/5.54 ratio IA gives for NR deer hunters using your numbers. IA is doing a good job protecting their resource and giving their residents a better quality opportunity. If IA opens it up, it will be run over with guides and outfitters and the now finite land that residents might be able to hunt will be even smaller.

The mule deer population overall has been on decline in western states including WY, for long time. There are many reasons and theories on the why and the opinion that it's WY's mismanagement is one of them. Every state's game management is always blamed for the ill's of the condition of the species. Sometimes it's correct and others it is a minimal part of the issue.

WY's pronghorn had been doing very well but last year's winter and a disease outbreak set them back considerably and hopefully they recover from it. The pronghorn herd in NE was hammered by a horrible winter in the 80's and it has never recovered.

I'm glad WY is trying to give it's residents a greater opportunity at the resources in their state. NR shouldn't feel entitled to any other state's resources and how they manage them.

You gave very good advice to Letemgrow, if one wants to go elk hunting one needs to be applying every year, The random has worked out for me a couple times in the past few years. It's like winning the Powerball. Roughly 25% of tags go into the random draw so one always has a chance.

Good luck in the draw.

I'm beginning to wonder if 5 points will actually draw a general tag. No one knows which of the zones people will put in for. Probably give it a try.
IMO I think you'll draw with 5 for general but the new special price might have thrown everything out of whack. If 5 don't get a general, that will set a few elk specific forums on fire. Good luck, remember, you can't win if you don't play.

Here's a good podcast that will possibly help one to understand the WY elk draw system and the new general units. It also sheds some light on how little control DNR's can sometimes have in setting up scientifically driven policies.

Welp... officially applied for the western unit. See how this goes I guess?!

I am wondering about going the base camp non guided route. At least someone would point us in the right direction that way.

Good luck 1983, I think that is a good idea. I've always thought about going that route.

Good luck IowaBowHunter! I officially applied for a unit in WY this year as well. If draw odds are similar to last year I expect to get a tag and head west in early Sept. Cant wait!

Welp... officially applied for the western unit. See how this goes I guess?!

I am wondering about going the base camp non guided route. At least someone would point us in the right direction that way.
Send it! Persistence is King in the elk world. Give yourself plenty of time and don't give up

Sitting on 5 points. Was going to put it for a general tag for a hunt this fall (sept 2024). I see wyoming has changed their general tag structure and you now have to pick one of three zones ahead if time. This is a monkey wrench as I haven't done enough research to know what new zone to put in for.

Anyone have any thoughts? Not looking for specifics or to steal anyone's honeyhole!
Western region gets my vote... I'll share some pics from my trip last fall:

I you don't have more than 10 points, go General.

erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3220.jpgerdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3441.jpgerdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3409.jpgerdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3272.jpg
erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-8240.jpg

erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-8823.jpg

erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-8825.jpg

Attachments

• erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3278.jpg
    erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3278.jpg
    652.4 KB · Views: 17
  • erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3388.jpg
    erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-3388.jpg
    409.6 KB · Views: 17
  • erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-8283.jpg
    erdody-wyoming-elk-2023-8283.jpg
    551.9 KB · Views: 15
To elaborate just a bit, Wyoming's general units are too good to wait for the other limited tags. Point creep is nuts, so my strategy is to get a general tag as often as I can. Hunt other states on the years you are waiting for a general. If you hunt Colorado, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, that's a great rotation to be hunting somewhere good every 1-2 years. Also, regarding higher point holders...I bit the bullet and went guided because; A) I won't draw it again in my life, so getting familiar with the unit is just not practical, and you should put the odds in your best favor by using a good guide, but 2) mainly because wilderness access requires it and you simply cannot do it safely without horses. Why? Grizzlies... take them seriously. We encountered a sow and 2 cubs at 10 yards on day 4 of our hunt...it got western for a bit. Anything you kill will have a grizzly on it within 24 hours, and in most cases, much less than that, so if you cannot get help packing it out and get it out in one trip, you will lose your meat. There was a YouTube video of a couple boneheads that tried packing in 7+ miles to do basically the same stuff my buddy and I did. Yep, they shot one... young guys too...full of energy... the pack out crushed them and they were not willing to hike back in so they tried calling around for help and couldn't find it in time. Also, a guide they called told them bears were on their kill within an hour after they left. They were young and dumb and lost a lot of meat because of that. They put it on youtube... I don't want to share it because I don't want them getting any more publicity for their stupidity.

If you cannot afford to go guided, save $... put a bit of money away every year for 15 years and you can afford it. If you insist you cannot, you need a resident that will essentially guide you (unpaid)... or you need to line up someone that will be ready with horses to come in and get your kill the moment you kill. They'll want a lot of money to do so and to be "on call"... guides will be busy...and there aren't many other options. Llamas or your own pack horses is a good way, if you know how to handle them and have access.

I don't recommend outfitters to hunters I don't know because the outfitters I trust will only hear from hunters I trust as well.

Good luck guys, Wyoming has epic elk hunting and even more beautiful scenery!

To elaborate just a bit, Wyoming's general units are too good to wait for the other limited tags. Point creep is nuts, so my strategy is to get a general tag as often as I can. Hunt other states on the years you are waiting for a general. If you hunt Colorado, Montana, Idaho, and Wyoming, that's a great rotation to be hunting somewhere good every 1-2 years. Also, regarding higher point holders...I bit the bullet and went guided because; A) I won't draw it again in my life, so getting familiar with the unit is just not practical, and you should put the odds in your best favor by using a good guide, but 2) mainly because wilderness access requires it and you simply cannot do it safely without horses. Why? Grizzlies... take them seriously. We encountered a sow and 2 cubs at 10 yards on day 4 of our hunt...it got western for a bit. Anything you kill will have a grizzly on it within 24 hours, and in most cases, much less than that, so if you cannot get help packing it out and get it out in one trip, you will lose your meat. There was a YouTube video of a couple boneheads that tried packing in 7+ miles to do basically the same stuff my buddy and I did. Yep, they shot one... young guys too...full of energy... the pack out crushed them and they were not willing to hike back in so they tried calling around for help and couldn't find it in time. Also, a guide they called told them bears were on their kill within an hour after they left. They were young and dumb and lost a lot of meat because of that. They put it on youtube... I don't want to share it because I don't want them getting any more publicity for their stupidity.

If you cannot afford to go guided, save $... put a bit of money away every year for 15 years and you can afford it. If you insist you cannot, you need a resident that will essentially guide you (unpaid)... or you need to line up someone that will be ready with horses to come in and get your kill the moment you kill. They'll want a lot of money to do so and to be "on call"... guides will be busy...and there aren't many other options. Llamas or your own pack horses is a good way, if you know how to handle them and have access.

I don't recommend outfitters to hunters I don't know because the outfitters I trust will only hear from hunters I trust as well.

Good luck guys, Wyoming has epic elk hunting and even more beautiful scenery!
I 100% agree with what you say here and it is also 100% how I play the game. I won’t go on a hunt without a guide or at a minimum having someone lined up with horses to pack out an animal. I don’t have the type of friends that want a grueling back country hunt and I want to enjoy the hunt after the fun part ends which is shortly before and after the the arrow or bullet is sent!!! Find a reputable guide, have realistic goals and enjoy your hunt!

That is a great bull BTW!!

I 100% agree with what you say here and it is also 100% how I play the game. I won’t go on a hunt without a guide or at a minimum having someone lined up with horses to pack out an animal. I don’t have the type of friends that want a grueling back country hunt and I want to enjoy the hunt after the fun part ends which is shortly before and after the the arrow or bullet is sent!!! Find a reputable guide, have realistic goals and enjoy your hunt!

7-10k isn't in the cards for a guided hunt. Base camps with horse access appear to be 2k ish, def a possibility.

7-10k isn't in the cards for a guided hunt. Base camps with horse access appear to be 2k ish, def a possibility.
Right, definitely... great idea for areas you might hunt more than once in a lifetime. I've just learned that if I'm getting one chance in a great unit that I'll most likely never ever get to hunt again, then it's worth saving for that... and pinch/save on the other hunts.

Another factor guys don't think a lot about...what size elk will you be happy with? You do not need guides for average bulls. If you're happy with "any bull" on up to 300", sometimes a bit more, then definitely DIY is doable. And.... hear me here.... do not wait 20 years for a once in a lifetime tag just to shoot a small bull... you can do that with all the other easier to draw or OTC tags.... make it worth it and go for something really special. Yeah, I get it, don't go home empty handed and take meat, of course, I agree with that...but I mean have high standards at least for a while on the hunt :) ...Otherwise there is no point spending $100+ every year applying for 20-ish years...waste of money.

Those are the only friends I have!!!!
Lol

My buddy talked to someone in the WY game and fish and he was told that 3 points would get a general tag this year. I said that was very positive thinking as it took 4 pts to get a general last year minus the randoms. Perhaps they are thinking the new zones will allow for that. Good luck to all those that applied.

Top Bottom