Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Wyoming Vacation Tips?

bowman

Super Moderator
We enjoy finding western towns that are off the beaten path and not heavy with tourist activity that we can explore, hike, fish, and go on our own wildlife viewing car rides daily. The past 2 years we have stayed in the Gunnison and Crested Butte area of Colorado and loved it. I would like to stay within 13 hours or so of central Iowa.

I was thinking of Wyoming and avoiding the Yellowstone area. I have been researching Casper and I love the historical aspect but at nearly 60,000 in population it might be a little large for my liking. Anyone have any opinions of Casper or the surrounding area for a vacation destination? Or I would welcome any other recommendations.

There is Gillete and then north there is Buffalo.This an area we have spent some time in hunting.It's wide open until you get up by Buffalo.Beware of the gas field towns as everything is way more expensive

Douglas, WY Jackalope capital of the world. Cody, WY. Rodeo every night. Scenic route.

In that same area, Sheridan offers a lot and is a little smaller town. I can put you in touch with the Chief of Police who I'm sure would be willing to help a "blue brother" find a few things to do. He might even take you on a prairie dog shoot.

Sheridan is awesome, been in that area a lot the past few years..Go back because its a great area, cant go wrong with the mountains and the scenic roads.

I have spent a fair amount of time in the Buffalo area hunting and visiting friends . Great area with lots to do and see . Just over the pass west of Buffalo , by Ten Sleep is a really nice lodge with cabins , rentals , restaurant called Meadowlark Lake Lodge . Fishing , hiking , horseback riding , boating , and tons of beautiful sites . If you like the outdoors , the BIG Horns is as good as it gets !!

X3 on Sheridan. I hunt around Sheridan, Bighorn and Gillette every year. Alot to see and do

I have spent a fair amount of time in the Buffalo area hunting and visiting friends . Great area with lots to do and see . Just over the pass west of Buffalo , by Ten Sleep is a really nice lodge with cabins , rentals , restaurant called Meadowlark Lake Lodge . Fishing , hiking , horseback riding , boating , and tons of beautiful sites . If you like the outdoors , the BIG Horns is as good as it gets !!

x2 on Meadowlark Lake Lodge, I know the owners. Don't waste your time in Laramie or Cheyenne. LOL

Last edited:
It has been quite a few years but I used to go out west riding horse, we went up out of Buffalo and camped at a trail head, Battle creek park I believe it was called, unbelievable sights, There was a heard of elk that would almost come down into our camp at night and mule deer everywhere and can't explain how amazing the sights are, and great stream fishing as well

Wow, thanks so much for the tips fellas! It sounds like the Sheridan area or Ten Sleep are the places to check out. Thanks for the lodging advice as well, I'll check with them to so if they fit my poor man's budget. Horse Doctor, if we go that way I might hit you up for the Chief's number.

Thsnks again!

Funny part in Wy is as a NR you can't hunt in bear country but you can picnic,ride horses,fish anything but hunt without some restrictions

Centennial, the highest town in Wyoming. The Snowy Range is a very cool place to visit. There is a big glacier on top of Snowy range peak, and lots of glacial lakes full of trout up there too. Theres a really nice rustic lodge and restaurant in Centennial. Lots of Elk and Mule Deer around that area too.

Stop in Kaycee Wy if your out by Buffalo or Casper. The Hole in the wall bar has great bull fries and the Chris Ledoux Memorial is a must see. I have friends that live in Kaycee and hunt Antelope there every year. It's a nice quiet off the beaten path place for sure, at least for an old rodeo guy like me it's heaven!!

It's a little drive from the Ten Sleep area, but if you're that close, you should think about taking the Beartooth Pass drive. It's up near the Wyoming/Montana border, and if you take it all the way through you end up in Red Lodge, MT. It's away from the Yellowstone traffic, but a truly spectacular drive full of "off the beaten path" opportunities, hiking, wildlife viewing, etc. Now keep in mind this has been several years ago, but at the summit there was a place called "The Top of the World Lodge". We stayed there one night and continued the drive the next day. Kinda primitive, but I scraped frost off my windshield the next morning during an August trip :) Get your brakes checked and flush the radiator before you head out, but it's a day or two trip you'll definitely enjoy.

NWBuck

It's a little drive from the Ten Sleep area, but if you're that close, you should think about taking the Beartooth Pass drive. It's up near the Wyoming/Montana border, and if you take it all the way through you end up in Red Lodge, MT. It's away from the Yellowstone traffic, but a truly spectacular drive full of "off the beaten path" opportunities, hiking, wildlife viewing, etc. Now keep in mind this has been several years ago, but at the summit there was a place called "The Top of the World Lodge". We stayed there one night and continued the drive the next day. Kinda primitive, but I scraped frost off my windshield the next morning during an August trip :) Get your brakes checked and flush the radiator before you head out, but it's a day or two trip you'll definitely enjoy.

NWBuck

Yes, this is an awesome drive. Last year in July we were battling a blizzard on the trip. Everyone with was sure glad we were driving my pickup! The lodge is still there, more of a novelty shop now however. Still breath taking views and makes you pucker a little bit around some of the curves

My advice is to skip Wyoming and come down to Flagstaff. There is a canyon nearby that is pretty Grand and there is a university there that has a great nursing program and amazing elk and deer hunting within 10 minutes of town!!!

Top Bottom