Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your neck of the woods slowing down?

EVIL X

PMA Member
Went out today and had a couple on roost gobble. it seems they hit the ground and ya never heard from them again. Do ya think its winding down pretty early or is it just my hunting area?

Its funny. I have been complaining that its been so cold and windy, but the gobblers were always out strutting and vocal. Now today, not much wind and sunny, no birds out,they are all just hanging in the shade panting.Calling for 2 more days warm and storms, then cooler. Should be one more round of good turkey hunting left.

sounds like 4th and long for me, so I have to go no holds barred tomorrow and see if I can't get it done. Im definately hoping for the best..

I finally gave up on our farms yesterday and hit some public land this morning. Birds were going ape all morning and my bro and i managed to pull off a double

Went out today and had a couple on roost gobble. it seems they hit the ground and ya never heard from them again. Do ya think its winding down pretty early or is it just my hunting area?

Saw the exact same thing today. Just one of those days! Still some good days to come I'd bet. They probably just got a shock with the warmer temps. :way:

They should be fairly active during the first cool hour of morning now is my guess, and in the afternoons they'll be sitting in the shade. I saw a lot of birds in the late afternoon feeding in fields as well but none of the toms were strutting.

Just wondering what everyone's experiencing the last few days?

I've been out every day but 2 of 4th season & have at least heard gobbles every day until Wednesday. On Tuesday they were sounding off like crazy on the roost and had a fair amount of gobbles until I had to leave for work. Then Tuesday, Wednesday & today nothing. I've seen 2 toms in the distance during those days, but no strutting and not a single gobble in 3 days.
There was someone hunting the same property on Tuesday and he was out there most of the day, so I don't know if everything got cleared out of that part of the timber for some reason, if weather has something to do with it, or if it's just over for the year. Seems strange that it would just completely shut off literally overnight.

The hot weather really slowed things down here, but now its cold and wet but the birds are out again. Been seeing most of the gobblers that are strutting showing off for hens on eggs they have followed. One hen on eggs by my horse pasture has strutters around her nest everyday, may have to get a blind up. Would that be live baiting?

Think there trying to stomp on the eggs so she comes back in heat? Yesterday afternoon while working up in the timber I heard a tom gobble about 15 times every few minutes. It was about 6:30 just curious if he was letting everyone know where he was for roosting? I kicked 2 hens off there nest while mushroom pickin one had 13 eggs and the other had 17. I couldn't believe there was 17 in the one nest.

Dude, it's not slowing down here I don't know where the hell you live but were I live the damn things gobble all the time! I had a shot at one this morning at 50 yards and took it :/ not such a great idea on my part. It was a gobbler with a 10-11" beard we think I hit it but it didn't kill it, we looked but never found it.

Top Bottom