Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your scent control methods, thoughts or list?

I remember an old Kisky video from years ago. Don Kisky, an Iowa hunting legend, was in a blind. I’m sure he took all the scent control precautions. Lol. A big buck moved downwind. He said, I’m about to get busted. If the deer is downwind you’re F .,,,,Ked.

I have a friend who is a chemist in a federal crime lab and a hunter. He claims scent eliminating clothing is the biggest scam in the hunting industry in a long time. The tech is based on a carbon layer that absorbs scent. Carbon absorption is used in crime labs whereby a carbon strip is placed in a sealed container of usually explosive or arson type evidence, it’s heated , off gases and the product is absorbed by the strip. The carbon is then placed in a gas chromatograph that hopefully identifies the chemical compounds present.
Scent Lok etc is based on that tech.

He says the problem is the carbon layer in the clothing is saturated with scent by the time it leaves the factory. The act of regenerating the carbon with heat is true, however placing a garment in a dryer doesn’t cut it as the temps are not high enough. The carbon is not purged. Oh well. Gotta love capitalism.

Play the wind, period. The American Indian nearly decimated many big game animals in North America. How’d they ever do it without scent lok and sprays. Their bathing practicing certainly weren’t a factor. Lol. Play the wind.

Scentlok is a HUGE scam for the above TRUTH. It starts absorbing day one at the factory, then is shipped sucking up scents with any capacity is left. By the time you get it home, it’s shot and your clothes dryer isn’t going to “regenerate” it. Caveat emptor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wash my stuff in scent free detergent and use an ozone generator sometimes. Outside of that I don't do much of anything anymore. I have to hike in quite a bit, so my back will be sweaty from my backpack and usually I'm sweating by the time I get my stand hung no matter the temp.

I religiously wear Merino wool base layers in and out and that stuff is naturally anti microbial, I'll go multiple sits without washing it at all. I do think it helps to an extent, but my biggest scent control method is milkweed telling me when I need to move my stand or try a new spot.

Honest question for those that “just hunt wind”. & to clarify - I’m not saying you are wrong! Just honest discussion….

do you shower with regular soap? Regular detergent, deodorant, etc? If really sweaty & stinky - just play wind? Basically, is there ant scent control or nothing at all?

I did a mediocre job tonight. I’ll be very clean later but I will pay very close attention to wind.
I’m not PERFECT but I’m also not “smoking 12 cigarettes with wind going who knows where in same clothes I wore for 3 days straight”. I’d say on better end of control. Wind still trumps any of this. IMO.

This helps if u reduce your mistake areas, like…. touching smelly things, old detergent, getting really sweaty on way to stand, etc etc. I think it helps. Doesn’t hurt. Then play wind. But that’s me. What all u guys do?
Wash clothes to start season in unscented detergent, hang out to dry, keep in a big Rubbermaid tub outside with leaves etc in it. We keep everything we take to the stand in this same tub. Shower before I go hunting with unscented soap. Get dressed outside (very cold sometimes!) Wear rubber boots---Normally spray before going, always try to play the wind until peak of rut and then go to best spot(guess!)and not worry so much about it. Also carry, or tie on extra coat so I don't get too sweaty. I agree with a lot of you that sometimes we make this out to be more than what it is, so mostly play the wind and have fun.

Wash clothes to start season in unscented detergent, hang out to dry, keep in a big Rubbermaid tub outside with leaves etc in it. We keep everything we take to the stand in this same tub. Shower before I go hunting with unscented soap. Get dressed outside (very cold sometimes!) Wear rubber boots---Normally spray before going, always try to play the wind until peak of rut and then go to best spot(guess!)and not worry so much about it. Also carry, or tie on extra coat so I don't get too sweaty. I agree with a lot of you that sometimes we make this out to be more than what it is, so mostly play the wind and have fun.
I'm curious about the "play the wind until peak rut" part of your statement. Are you actually ignoring the wind during this period or just taking more gambles with scent control in general?

I an old free standing closet I run an ozone generator tube into for a before/after hunt regimen (when I have time).
This is pretty identical to the same unit (probably comes out of the same factory) as the scent crusher dealio.
$45 on amazon. I have one that run into a tote have also. Cheap alternative to the scent crusher.
ozone generator

I've been beating the deers noses for years!
Takes EXTREME determination but it can be done.
I go through unscented ivory soap and baking soda like a freak!
Have had 100's of deer close downwind and have gone years without a snort.
I've now gone back to just trying to be clean and wearing clothes that I have hanging outside.
I do get busted now occasionally but my old yearly routine just took to much time and took the "fun" out of it.
Yes, you CAN beat their nose.

I an old free standing closet I run an ozone generator tube into for a before/after hunt regimen (when I have time).
This is pretty identical to the same unit (probably comes out of the same factory) as the scent crusher dealio.
$45 on amazon. I have one that run into a tote have also. Cheap alternative to the scent crusher.
ozone generator

Same machine I mounted on a tote.

Also, my wife switched to unscented Nellies laundry soap for all our clothes. So I can throw my hunting clothes in the washer without needing to clean/rinse the machine. Been great! https://www.amazon.com/Nellies-Laun...d_rd_i=B086Q4Y4LG&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_m_rp_1_sc

I've been beating the deers noses for years!
Takes EXTREME determination but it can be done.
I go through unscented ivory soap and baking soda like a freak!
Have had 100's of deer close downwind and have gone years without a snort.
I've now gone back to just trying to be clean and wearing clothes that I have hanging outside.
I do get busted now occasionally but my old yearly routine just took to much time and took the "fun" out of it.
Yes, you CAN beat their nose.
I get away with deer downwind often as well. I do chalk some of it up to: thermals, or rut - where they just going nuts, etc. But- i would say regular conditions - I probably don’t get busted about 70-80%+ of the time. Which is pretty good. No major gimmicks - just super clean. Kinda same as u. I personally think being very scent free & clean helps to some degree.

I've gone back to using red fox urine on my rubber boots. I've observed numerous deer cross my path without missing a step. Anyone else use red fox? I wash my clothes and towels in scent free detergent. All clothes and towels get stored in totes. I cut cedar heartwood fresh each year and place several chunks in all my totes. Clothes smell very strong when you open the tote and put them on. We have cedar all over, so it's gotta be a good idea, right? I've been wanting to try ozone, and after seeing the machine above, I'll probably give it a shot. Sweating is also my biggest issue. I can't escape it, so like others have said, have to play the wind right. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!

Washed the clothes that I found hanging in the closet, been there since I tagged out last year. Used some generic no scent, no UV brightner soap. Nothing else goes through that washer in regards to detergent. Hanging outside to dry, probably won’t wash it again this year.

Most days, try to shower with scent killer soap, but many times wear clothes from hunts before.

To me, ozone is right up there with scentlok carbon. If one researches it’s use, the levels of ozone needed to kill bacteria and thus it’s odor is at levels that one shouldn’t be breathing it. Don’t trust those selling it to provide the research!! Also, it eats elastic, so good bye waist bands. I choose not to go there, but that’s just my opinion.

I've gone back to using red fox urine on my rubber boots. I've observed numerous deer cross my path without missing a step. Anyone else use red fox? I wash my clothes and towels in scent free detergent. All clothes and towels get stored in totes. I cut cedar heartwood fresh each year and place several chunks in all my totes. Clothes smell very strong when you open the tote and put them on. We have cedar all over, so it's gotta be a good idea, right? I've been wanting to try ozone, and after seeing the machine above, I'll probably give it a shot. Sweating is also my biggest issue. I can't escape it, so like others have said, have to play the wind right. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't!
Ive done cedar filled totes for years! I made these bags to put cedars in so the dead crumbling cedars don’t get all over clothes. Dry before putting in. Strong cedar smell.

My buddy lost a pair of super expensive bibs due to a scent crusher. Don’t feel the need to use those products, and I like my gear too much.. :)

Remember if a deer smells you no matter how you play the game he will not be fooled! Read it over a few times
I agree Ishi that if they smell you, the game is up. But... If they don't spook off, you can still get quality shots off at deer that have you pegged. It's just more difficult because they're alert to something being 'off'. I've harvested deer that smelled me and knew I was there. A specific buck that I recall was trailing a doe and stopped dead in his tracks when he caught my scent. I was already at full draw and he was looking me in the eyes when I harvested him. Now, on the flip side, I've taken shots at deer that knew I was there, that literally pulled a move out of The Matrix to jump or duck my arrow. Their springs were wound super tight. It always amazes me when they do that. 300+ FPS and a deer ducks or jumps the arrow within 30 yards? That's better than a 0.3 second reaction time. Well, it impresses me after I get done swearing anyway...

Top Bottom