Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Your thoughts on Lakosky, Glesinger?

Or...are dummies like me and had a legit chance at a 200"+ once and didn't pull the trigger...at about 8 yards!! For real...way back when I started deer hunting I was more of a turkey hunter and I was walking into a stand once and spied some turks out in a nearby field. Jackpot! I immediately went into stalk mode on the turks and was slinking down a creekbed with an arrow on the string, as the turks were just up the hill a little ways from me.

Well...pure blind luck, other than I was deliberately sneaking my way down the creek, I look to my left and there is a doe standing there staring at me about 20 feet away. My first thought...CRAP! I hope she doesn't snort and scare the turkeys. I froze and we had a very brief stare down when I noticed another deer about 8 feet away from her, closer yet to me...on my side of the creek bed! Giant buck...holy crap...I hope HE doesn't snort and scare the turkeys away. (Yes, I was quite dumb in my youth. :) (Cue Wapsi...I teed it up for you there. :))

Arrow on string, pointing in the direction of giant buck that was less than 10 yards away...do not draw...may scare deer who will scare turkeys. :) As I now know, he was in LOVE and did not immediately bolt...but walked away from me broadside. He went to jump out of the creek bed and slipped and fell chest first on the opposite bank, making a loud sound as he landed and knocking his breath out momentarily. Still do not draw. Idiot I am.

He was later taken on the adjoining farm and scored somewhere in the 230" range, many, many points, mass, all of it. I had him dead to rights and I doubt I would have missed that close of a shot had I just not been so focused on those stupid turkeys. :) True story and I still have never shot a 200". :)

Ahh, you've won in my book by just seeing one on the hoof, live and in the wild. Put them on a wall and after we pass they’re just some deer some guy shot a long time ago and end up at a flea market...

I’ve been a strong believer/promoter that in general over the last 10-12 years we are killing way too many does in the name of herd management/social stress/buck to doe ratio or whatever other reason that gets promoted in what is my opinion justification. Because that’s my belief maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see to fit my narrative but it seems like of all the different hunting shows that are on tv, it seems like Lee and Tiffany are shooting bucks with a TON of other deer in the field. It also seems like I rarely if ever see them shoot a doe or talk about shooting a bunch of does. Maybe they do and I’ve just missed it. But has anyone else noticed that or know what their philosophy is on it? I just think that in most places in a state like Iowa, the land can easily support 30-40% more deer. Especially for land like Lakoskys where he has a ton of food left all winter for them. And I’ve always felt that in places where the genetics are good, the more bucks you have at the top of the “funnel”, meaning year and a half olds, the more that end up making it to that 5 plus year old age class. The farms or sections that have the most 5 + year olds has the most big bucks obviously. To me it’s a numbers game and when doe numbers get reduced the number of yearling bucks at the top of the funnel do too.
But now a days you say quit shooting does and it is NOT a very popular opinion.

These people are so dedicated to the sport. They have and will put in the time and geared their life around hunting whitetails. Another person that goes way beyond what any of us would do in the world of bowhunting is Cameron Hanes. This guys focus, dedication and daily work routine is crazy, a lot of people hate him, but he has made it on his own and still works the same 9-5 job like we all do for the past 20+ years and he has reaped the benefits from it. Check out his daily routine on instagram.

https://www.cameronhanes.com/

Ahh, you've won in my book by just seeing one on the hoof, live and in the wild. Put them on a wall and after we pass they’re just some deer some guy shot a long time ago and end up at a flea market...

Good point. ^^ But I can only claim 1/2 point of credit, because at the time of this happening I had NO CLUE how rare such a beast is. I only knew it as a big buck. I knew better than to think they were common, but I had no idea that I may well live the rest of my life and never see another one like it. :)

But...I have the indelible image imprinted in my mind of both that buck, but even more so the doe. I will never forget how she looked there with the sun shining down through the branches on her. Oh...I didn't get a turkey in that exchange either. :)

I very simple way to put this. If a 8lb bass does not exist in the pond/lake you are fishing in you will never catch an 8lb bass. With that being said, imagine now fishing in a little bigger pond/lake with a dozen 8lb bass in it!!! It does not just make it possible it also ups your odds ten fold! Just my .02

I like this analogy, but it needs a bit added to it. The bodies of water you are fishing are PRIVATE!!! You have underwater cameras all over the place to monitor movement and paterns of each big fish you've identified. You name the big fish. You 'manage' the structure and feed the fish. You know the big fish routines due to your monitoring and feeding. When you go to fish, you basically know exactly where the big fish are at. Etc. Etc.

I have the unpopular opinon on this, as I don't see this as hunting. (Likewise, I woundn't consider it fishing either.) I see it as farming, as it's a stretch of the word 'managing'. But, to each their own. A 200" buck is an impressive animal.

These people are so dedicated to the sport. They have and will put in the time and geared their life around hunting whitetails. Another person that goes way beyond what any of us would do in the world of bowhunting is Cameron Hanes. This guys focus, dedication and daily work routine is crazy, a lot of people hate him, but he has made it on his own and still works the same 9-5 job like we all do for the past 20+ years and he has reaped the benefits from it. Check out his daily routine on instagram.

https://www.cameronhanes.com/

Agreed Cameron Hanes is a beast! Definitely a hunter who is willing to put in the extra effort when it comes to physical fitness and hunting. If people on here haven't read Lee and Tiffany's or Cameron Hanes books I would highly recommend picking them up. Lee and Tiffany's brings great insight to how fortunate/lucky they were to get into the outdoor industry. Also they moved to Iowa when hunting land prices were obtainable, but still need to go into the first farm with friends. Lee was willing to walk away from a great career with an engineering degree to pursue his love of hunting. Not many people would be willing to take that risk for something that they love.

I believe Lee killed this 222" on his 80 acre piece. From what i'm hearing. Nothing 100% yet tho.

Maybe the wrong thread but in relation to Lee and T, Drurys, etc. Used to really get into the big hunting shows but quit cold turkey one night several years ago, sets expectations of average Joe too high. Same with running cams, took the excitement out of the “what if this or that might walk in” when I didn’t catch anything “big” on it. Again, different for average Joe public land guy and maybe some extremely small private parcel hunter. But, I have gotten back into the TV thing a little with The Hunting Public and Meat Eater. Much more relatable and down to earth. The big shows aren't bad just a different stratosphere then I’m in.

Maybe the wrong thread but in relation to Lee and T, Drurys, etc. Used to really get into the big hunting shows but quit cold turkey one night several years ago, sets expectations of average Joe too high. Same with running cams, took the excitement out of the “what if this or that might walk in” when I didn’t catch anything “big” on it. Again, different for average Joe public land guy and maybe some extremely small private parcel hunter. But, I have gotten back into the TV thing a little with The Hunting Public and Meat Eater. Much more relatable and down to earth. The big shows aren't bad just a different stratosphere then I’m in.
Steve rinella is probably the best spokesman we have for hunting and fishing right now. He's articulate, educated, and his meat first approach to his show is far more appealing to the average non hunter.

I love watching the hunting public. Its really fun how they have nearly completely transitioned to ground hunting and spot and stalk lately. In my opinion they really are 'hunting'.

I’ve been a strong believer/promoter that in general over the last 10-12 years we are killing way too many does in the name of herd management/social stress/buck to doe ratio or whatever other reason that gets promoted in what is my opinion justification. Because that’s my belief maybe I’m just seeing what I want to see to fit my narrative but it seems like of all the different hunting shows that are on tv, it seems like Lee and Tiffany are shooting bucks with a TON of other deer in the field. It also seems like I rarely if ever see them shoot a doe or talk about shooting a bunch of does. Maybe they do and I’ve just missed it. But has anyone else noticed that or know what their philosophy is on it? I just think that in most places in a state like Iowa, the land can easily support 30-40% more deer. Especially for land like Lakoskys where he has a ton of
I like this analogy, but it needs a bit added to it. The bodies of water you are fishing are PRIVATE!!! You have underwater cameras all over the place to monitor movement and paterns of each big fish you've identified. You name the big fish. You 'manage' the structure and feed the fish. You know the big fish routines due to your monitoring and feeding. When you go to fish, you basically know exactly where the big fish are at. Etc. Etc.

I have the unpopular opinon on this, as I don't see this as hunting. (Likewise, I woundn't consider it fishing either.) I see it as farming, as it's a stretch of the word 'managing'. But, to each their own. A 200" buck is an impressive animal.

don’t forget the part where NO ONE else can even see the lake.... so therefore cannot catch the fish or kill the 170-190 you just passed...... In no way hating on these individuals but DONT get caught up trying to replicate their success UNLESS you have a BIG lake that is managed to the T!! OR get lucky like some of us do by doing well what we can control... :D

Every post here has been in good taste, constructive & balanced. & even with any point of view- we discussing in different place & not debating this under XYZ successful hunters post.
Totally unrelated to great posts here.....
want u guys to take a look at comments section on ANY of these guys big deer. Not necessarily Lee or Greg but those be ok examples. I don’t read comments often but looked at these.... geesh- Dag nab are hunters savage towards eachother. Probably part of facebooks appeal to masses of idiots. I mean- comments like we were enemies. Like liberals fighting conservatives, whatever. It’s just negative Nancy & NASTY!!! With that, I get it........ over the top sponsors, hunting deer Situations many can’t relate to, etc. & the reality of man-kind.... the masses are jealous in their core - ANY TOPIC!!! I don’t watch many shows & went pry 5 years without watching a single one. Just kinda got sick of it. BUT.... me tuning out or mildly soured VS wanting to trash a dude for shooting one- kinda out of hand. If a guy catches 12 lbs bass in Texas on his private lake - I ain’t gonna trash him cause I can’t catch them here. Or if he’s a walking billboard - I’ll just turn it off - not gonna trash the dude though. If someone flushes 200 pheasants on their private ranch in SD - I won’t ever see that but I’m not jealous & don’t wanna destroy the guy. Dude shoots a giant buck- I can’t believe folks saying “hi fence”. Or “tame deer” or “hunting for the rich”. We all know the line.... u don’t like it- turn it off- discuss it or debate it elsewhere. But the literal trashing of fellow hunters is pretty insane after doing a lil reading.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:o_O:rolleyes:
Every post here has been in good taste, constructive & balanced. & even with any point of view- we discussing in different place & not debating this under XYZ successful hunters post.
Totally unrelated to great posts here.....
want u guys to take a look at comments section on ANY of these guys big deer. Not necessarily Lee or Greg but those be ok examples. I don’t read comments often but looked at these.... geesh- Dag nab are hunters savage towards eachother. Probably part of facebooks appeal to masses of idiots. I mean- comments like we were enemies. Like liberals fighting conservatives, whatever. It’s just negative Nancy & NASTY!!! With that, I get it........ over the top sponsors, hunting deer Situations many can’t relate to, etc. & the reality of man-kind.... the masses are jealous in their core - ANY TOPIC!!! I don’t watch many shows & went pry 5 years without watching a single one. Just kinda got sick of it. BUT.... me tuning out or mildly soured VS wanting to trash a dude for shooting one- kinda out of hand. If a guy catches 12 lbs bass in Texas on his private lake - I ain’t gonna trash him cause I can’t catch them here. Or if he’s a walking billboard - I’ll just turn it off - not gonna trash the dude though. If someone flushes 200 pheasants on their private ranch in SD - I won’t ever see that but I’m not jealous & don’t wanna destroy the guy. Dude shoots a giant buck- I can’t believe folks saying “hi fence”. Or “tame deer” or “hunting for the rich”. We all know the line.... u don’t like it- turn it off- discuss it or debate it elsewhere. But the literal trashing of fellow hunters is pretty insane after doing a lil reading.
I suppose the next thing a certain group of politicians will sell to the masses is everyone will get to kill a 200 inch deer.... all you have to do is vote for XYZ politician and don’t worry about how to pay for it..... :rolleyes: and we wonder why people get jealous when someone else has something we don’t .....

Last edited:
That’s for sure Skip, the guys on here get it, but man the main stream sites are brutal. It’s a car wreck to read thru when sitting on stand....
I remember when Lee and Tiffany just hooked up and started killing nice deer and then partnered with Kisky’s. Don shortened Lee’s Iowa learning curve real fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t follow these people due to I can’t relate, like some have mentioned. Not jealous, just not my personal goal of investing tons of time and money to grow deer. I want hunting to be fun and not all consuming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom