• Dear User,

We had issues in getting your old password work with the new version of the software, henceforth kindly Reset Your Password here

You won't be able to login with your old password

If you do not receive the Password reset request within a few minutes, please check your Junk / Spam E-mail folder just in case the email got delivered there instead of your inbox. If so, select Not Junk, which will allow future messages to get through.

If you still need assistance, email [email protected]

We appreciate your patience and understanding on this matter.

Youth Hunter Tactics, goals, ideas, etc???

Matthewfox_45

My son who is 15 has killed quite a few deer including a couple 130” bucks, and is starting to be more selective in the deer he harvests. His own self imposed rule is “no dink bucks”. We’ve talked a lot about age structure with bucks, but he’s 15 and I don’t want him to be a “trophy hunter” when he’s still a kid. So I’ve told him I don’t care what he shoots. I leave it up to him, last year he shot a beautiful 100” buck, best part of the hunt, my dad and I were in the blind with him! Not gonna lie, I teared up a little when three generations of Fox men walked up on that deer.

muddy

Administrator
This will be year 4 for all 3 of my kids. I have no idea what their goals are, but whatever they want to shoot they can shoot. Alex has already said he wants a deer with 10 points. The girls don't seem to care, so long as it's not too hot or not too cold.

The only issue is that we're getting Alex a bow for his birthday this weekend. If he practices enough and gets to 35 or 40 pounds I have a slam dunk 12 yard shot stand I'll let him sit in with me. Probably have to throw a LW closer to the ground, but we'll deal with that when we get to it.

meyeri

PMA Member
Good thread, I'm not a fan of situations where youth hunters shoot big bucks from box blinds with guns hard mounted to a tripod. Set the kid up to succeed, but don't turn baseball into tee ball. I grew up with no youth season, I hunted hard for 2 yrs before I connected on something and when I shot a basket rack I was on cloud 9. I understand setting the kid up to be successful and I agree with that to an extent, but there's a lot to be said of letting the kid earn it too.

Daver

PMA Member
Good thread, I'm not a fan of situations where youth hunters shoot big bucks from box blinds with guns hard mounted to a tripod. Set the kid up to succeed, but don't turn baseball into tee ball. I grew up with no youth season, I hunted hard for 2 yrs before I connected on something and when I shot a basket rack I was on cloud 9. I understand setting the kid up to be successful and I agree with that to an extent, but there's a lot to be said of letting the kid earn it too.
I agree. ^^ Put your time and effort into the whole experience, that is what all of you will remember. Getting a deer is icing on the cake and it isn't the end of the world to put some time in and NOT have instant success. The eventual harvest will mean more in most cases if there was pain and suffering that led up to it. :)

Top Bottom