Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Hunting Requirements ????

Cornfed

Bowhunting Addict
I am trusting you guys can help with my confusion. My daughter age 12, will turn 13 on April 11th is really wanting to turkey hunt this year. Actually wanted to hunt last year and we were unable to attend the Hunters Safety courses offered in our area and she was very disappointed.

I was told later by someone that she did not have to take the course to hunt with me. Seems like everyone I talk to has a different take on the regulations.

I know many of you on here have kids that hunt. Can someone please help me better understand what is expected of her ie. licenses, Hunters Safety, etc. so she can go turkey hunting this spring.

Thanks.....

She can hunt without taking hunters safety. You just need her social security number to buy a youth license. She must hunt with you, i.e. you can't send her across the field to sit by herself. I also believe you must purchase a spring turkey license as well. Going off memory, best to just look up the youth hunt rules.

From the regs.....

The following persons do not need a Hunting
License and/or pay certain fees:
1a) Residents under 16 years old
who hunt
under the direct supervision of their properly
licensed parent, guardian, or other competent
adult with the consent of the parent or guardian do
not need a Hunting License or pay the Habitat or
Migratory Game Bird fee. One properly licensed
adult must accompany each unlicensed hunter
under 16 years old.
1b) Residents 12 to 15 years old
may hunt
without adult supervision, but must have a Hunting
License and must have passed a hunter education
course (see p. 8 for hunter education training
requirements). Fees are not required.
Persons exempted under 1a) or 1b) must
have a Deer and Wild Turkey Hunting License
to hunt deer and wild turkey.

I am trusting you guys can help with my confusion. My daughter age 12, will turn 13 on April 11th is really wanting to turkey hunt this year. Actually wanted to hunt last year and we were unable to attend the Hunters Safety courses offered in our area and she was very disappointed.

I was told later by someone that she did not have to take the course to hunt with me. Seems like everyone I talk to has a different take on the regulations.

I know many of you on here have kids that hunt. Can someone please help me better understand what is expected of her ie. licenses, Hunters Safety, etc. so she can go turkey hunting this spring.

Thanks.....

She DOES NOT have to take the course as long as she is with you and all she needs is a YOUTH TURKEY TAG and can also get another gun tag for any season

Ok so let's make sure I understand what is being said..... as long as she hunts with me and I have all the necessary licenses ie. hunting license, habitat fee, small game license..... she does NOT have to buy a license... but DOES have to have turkey tags.....

Do I have to have a turkey tag as well if I am not planning on shooting anything ?

Ok so let's make sure I understand what is being said..... as long as she hunts with me and I have all the necessary licenses ie. hunting license, habitat fee, small game license..... she does NOT have to buy a license... but DOES have to have turkey tags.....

Do I have to have a turkey tag as well if I am not planning on shooting anything ?

Yes and yes. You must have a tag if you are "participating" in the hunt and since you are her adult supervisor, you are participating.
My 6 year old is excited to go again. I can't wait until she is big enough to shoot her own. She's so darn tiny right now lol!

You must have a turkey tag in your possession to assist - but it does not need to be for the same season.

taken from the regs. I would have a license since I am guessing you are going to be doing the calling,

All Participants Must be Licensed - All participants in a hunt must be properly licensed and have paid the appropriate fees. It is up to the discretion of the conservation officer to determine whether or not a person is “participating.” Participation includes, but is not limited to, handling firearms or ammunition during the hunt, trying to attract game, driving, flushing, or locating game, and working dogs.

And also, get your daughter enrolled in the new online classes for the hunter safety. My wife did it and upon completion of the test, you must participate in an "outdoor day" if you will. Pretty neat how they made the hunter safety interactive online (and its not something they can skip through all the pages.. you are required (by a timer) to read each page. Just an idea! Have fun!

Top Bottom