Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Youth Model Muzzleloaders

JOSHBRNDT

Thinking of buying my daughters a muzzleloader. Which model and brand would you recommend? Also can you suggest the amount of powder and also the bullet you would recommend?

Thanks.

I bought my daughter the knight little horn this spring. She is shooting a 200gr bullet being pushed by 70gr of triple 7. She is pretty accurate with it out to 50 yds right now. I got her one of those Caldwell field pods and she has no issues.

CVA Wolf 209 Magnum Break-Action - .50 Cal - COMPACT When she gets older, you can change out the stock on it

<---This guy has a cva wolf for sale in the classifieds, would be willing to meet with you sometime so you could check it out and see if it would fit. Just a thought. PM me if you are interested. Thanks

My daughter just shoots my CVA. She is small, but has used it at 9 & 10 yrs old. I have to use shooting sticks for her because she can't hold the front end up and steady. Not sure on smaller models, but it would be a good idea.

On the load, i use a 50 gr pellet behind a 250 gr bullet. She has had 3 pass through kills. 25 yrds - spined, 70 yrds double lung, 50 yrds shoulder & lungs. Read about this loading in a Bill Winke article and it is supposed to be fine out to 100 yrds. By the time she is good enough to shoot that far we will probably be using more powder anyway.

One other trick is that i have her practice out to 50 yrds, but use a 30 gr pellet so she does not get a flinch or worry about the kick. Then I put in a 50 gr for hunting. She still does not know this, but always says she felt no kick when shooting the deer.

Hope this helps.

On the load, i use a 50 gr pellet behind a 250 gr bullet. She has had 3 pass through kills. 25 yrds - spined, 70 yrds double lung, 50 yrds shoulder & lungs. Read about this loading in a Bill Winke article and it is supposed to be fine out to 100 yrds. By the time she is good enough to shoot that far we will probably be using more powder anyway.

One other trick is that i have her practice out to 50 yrds, but use a 30 gr pellet so she does not get a flinch or worry about the kick. Then I put in a 50 gr for hunting. She still does not know this, but always says she felt no kick when shooting the deer.

Hope this helps.

On that load of 50 gr powder and 250 gr bullet, do you have any comparisons on how much kick it would have? Also, is there much difference in trajectory between the 30 gr and 50 gr?

Both my kids have Traditions Pursuit Ultralight XLT's topped with Nikon's. They are shooting 60 gr. of Blackhorn behind a 250gr. Hornady SST. The load is light enough to produce about 1/2 the recoil of a 20 gauge slug gun but is absolutely deadly out to 75 yards.

My boy started shooting this combination when he was 8. My daughter got jealous of him shooting targets and now has one at 14. They can both handle shot after shot of this load and are shooting great groups. We have put down 3 deer over the last two seasons, the longest shot was ~ 60 yards. All 3 deer have dropped dead in their tracks with well placed shots.

Whatever gun you decide to buy I would strongly recommend Blackhorn for the kids. Cleaning is easier, less smoke after a shot at a deer, and the ability to load 60-75 gr. (the equivalent of a pellet and half) is just awesome.

Not sure how old/big your daughter is but my sone shoots a TC Impact. Last year at 11 he was only 4'9" and weighed around 80 lbs, (scrawny really) and he shouldered it just fine. It is not a "Youth" muzzloader, but truthfully I could not find a true youth model when I looked. It is however a compact gun and new they are right about $230. He shoots 100 grains of powder and a 250 grain bullet. Like others said I started him out with only 50 grains. Best part is it shoots great in my hands too.....LOL

My grandson shoots the TC impact also. It has a spacer at the end of the stock you can take out if you want shorter or leave it in. He was 8 last year and shot off sticks. His load was 100gr. of triple 7 with a 250gr.powerbelt. He is skinny also. His 7 year old brother is shooting it this year.

I bought the Knight little horn for my boys. We tried out all the other youth guns and the Knight fit the boys the best. It's a little higher in price but well worth it.

On that load of 50 gr powder and 250 gr bullet, do you have any comparisons on how much kick it would have? Also, is there much difference in trajectory between the 30 gr and 50 gr?

I sight it in with 50 gr and have it shoot 1-2" high at 50 yrds. This puts it pretty dead on at 100 yrds. When she practices with 30 gr at 50 yards it is right on. With 50 gr the kick is noticably less than a light bird load 20 ga. I'd say probably like a .243.

I sight it in with 50 gr and have it shoot 1-2" high at 50 yrds. This puts it pretty dead on at 100 yrds. When she practices with 30 gr at 50 yards it is right on. With 50 gr the kick is noticably less than a light bird load 20 ga. I'd say probably like a .243.

Thanks 2-bucks!

Top Bottom