Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Zumbo the idiot.

T

Tom

Anybody catch pro hunter Jim Zumbo's latest blog?
http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/assault_rifles_.html#comment-60822454

Rumor has it that in his next profession he'll drive the Dixie Chicks tour bus or might even start a hunting show with Jimmy Houston.
grin.gif

grin.gif

tried to look at it, but says the page cannot be found.

so, I went to the outdoor life website, linked into the Zumbo page... and this is written by Outdoor Life.

Statement from Outdoor Life

"Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo’s recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the “Hunting With Zumbo” blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment rights, which do not make distinctions based on the looks of the firearms we choose to own, shoot and take hunting. Please direct any comments you have to OLletters@time4.com."

Here was his post...

[ QUOTE ]
Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. (emphasis mine) They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. (emphasis mine) Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries (sic) and woods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Right before they yanked it he had already received over 3500 replies (his daily blog typically gets less than 35 replies) which is probably why they shut it down…most were torching him for his bigoted view.

I heard him on XM radio last night. He apologized for the comments. After further review, he realized he was in the wrong with his comments.

He has planned an AR-15 hunt with Uncle Ted to see what the weapon is all about.

Everybody makes mistakes, give the guy a second chance.

DOR those were obvious "damage control" comments that he made on the radio after he began receiving thousands of flaming emails.

You don’t spend 40 years writing about guns and taking endorsement money from gun manufacturers, then make a simple slip of the pen and write something that goes against basic 2nd amendment preservation, and get off the hook by calling it a mistake.

Hunting rights and gun owner rights are something that you don’t screw up, ever. In my mind, it’s kind of like child birth. Babies come out wet and slippery but if the doctor drops one on the delivery room floor it is still inexcusable! If your going to be a spokesman for hunter and gun owner rights like Zumbo was, you have to get it right – every time!

If I am not mistaken, Zumbo is an Outdoor News hunting editor, not a gun writer. I find it believable that he knows little about guns. I have hunted for 20+ years all over the place and admittedly know very little about firearms.

It was a stupid comment no doubt, but I say show a little flex for the guy. He did retract his comments and he apologized.

For me that is good enough. He has been a supporter of the NRA and a friend of outdoorsmen for ~50 years and because of that I will cut him a little slack. We need as many guys on our side as possible.

I hope your publication never prints anything controversial, because I see an increasing amount of jealousy, judgement, and isolation amongst our ranks. I think it needs to stop. We need to focus our efforts towards those who are truely a threat to our way of life. Jim Zumbo is not on that list.

For the record, I knew very little about him until this controversy. However, with a little poking around, its easy to see he has been far more beneficial for hunting than he has been deterimental.

Hold of on the gallows for now!
grin.gif

zumbo is a moron, always was. somewhere along the line here, he has proven himself an idiot. either by writing an article, on which he knew absolutely NOTHING about, and forming an opinion based on his total lack of knowledge, or by his lame ass appology, now that he has taken some much negative critiscism. now, he will align himself with uncle ted, to try to redeem himself in the eyes of the hunting public. i wish ted would slap the taste outa his mouth.
zumbo's "heartfelt" appology has less to do with his "change of opinion" and everything to do with his loss of sponsorship dollars.

guy is a tool, and deserves to be lumped together with jimmy houston, troy gentry, wold hunting assoc, and the like.

[ QUOTE ]
guy is a tool, and deserves to be lumped together with jimmy houston, troy gentry, wold hunting assoc, and the like.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats what I thought the first time I watched his hunting show.

Zumbo has been a “gun hunting” expert for over 40 years. Remington is (was) his main sponsor. He’s probably forgotten more about guns than most of us (me included) will ever know.

There is a huge difference between printing something controversial that entices healthy debate and offers various opinions - and - spewing your very own controversial opinion that slaps the face (guns and hunting) that has fed you for 50 years.

Jimmy Huston was a good guy too…. right up until he started shooting penned, drugged deer with a blunt, now he’s view as a puke by most respectable hunters. I don’t know if Jumbo will have the same fate as Jimmy, and frankly I don’t care, but I think we owe future generations of hunters a good old fashion celebrity butt kicking when these fools misrepresent hunting and shooting … and right now, IMHO Zumbo needs a swift kick!

[ QUOTE ]
If I am not mistaken, Zumbo is an Outdoor News hunting editor, not a gun writer. I find it believable that he knows little about guns. I have hunted for 20+ years all over the place and admittedly know very little about firearms.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have hunted since I was a small child-archery and wingshooting. I know next to nothing about rifles. I have always considered Jim Zumbo a rirfleman. I don't recall him hunting with anything else the times that I have seen his show or read his articles. For him to be out with Remingtom testing a load shows me that the man knows a thing or two about firearms.
To be fair though I wouldn't lump him in with Houston or Gentry just yet.

just because remmington has him along to test a load, doesn't necessarily mean he is an authority on guns. could be (and is, in my opinion) a mouthpiece to the people. with remmington as a sponsor, he will tell the public EXACTLY what remmington wants us to hear. if the remmington load was crap, or full of problems, do you REALLY think zumbo would tell you about it? the most he would do, is wait until remmington perfected the load, then he would print his GLOWING report.

don't get me wrong, i read all kinds of articles by people just like him. i have never read an article about a gun, bow, whatever, that has not had nothing but positive results. if hoyt (as an example) buys an ad in your magazine every month, you are not going to say their latest bow is crap. no one is going to piss off a sponsor...or a possible sponsor in the future.

I don't follow Jim Zumbo really at all. Well, actually, before last night I had only heard of him and had pretty much zero knowledge of his doings. However, after hearing him last night live on the radio, I felt compelled to give him the benefit of the doubt. He sounded truely apologetic for his actions.

Heck, if Uncle Ted can forgive him, he must not be that bad of a guy. After all, Nugent is about as radical as they come.

He is certainly doing damage control, but I hate to crucify the guy over one thoughtless, idiotic comment. Maybe Teroy is right about him. I don't know I have never seen his show or read one of his articles. Probably doesn't matter, the pirahanas are already circling.

Now if we could just elicit such a response from our ranks when we are openly attacked by those who are not apolgetic about trying to eliminate us.
confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]

Now if we could just elicit such a response from our ranks when we are openly attacked by those who are not apolgetic about trying to eliminate us.
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wouldn't that be nice.

I had just started liking Jim. However I find it hard to comprehend how someone can be in the industry as long and as much as he has been and be so "In the dark" on "Black Guns"
I am not a black gun sorta guy, I still favor nicely figured walnut and color case hardening. What I am, however, is what some would call a "Trad" bow hunter as I shoot old Bear recurves, but I sure as heck know who "Matthews" is, and I don't believe everyone who shoots one is a "Bad" person.
Hard to believe a guy can flush 42 years down the pipe so quick. If he was a newbie in the industry I would be all in favor of another chance. If I was looking to sponsor an outdoor writer, getting my boss to write a check for Jim would be a hard sell.

[ QUOTE ]
I heard him on XM radio last night. He apologized for the comments. After further review, he realized he was in the wrong with his comments.

He has planned an AR-15 hunt with Uncle Ted to see what the weapon is all about.

Everybody makes mistakes, give the guy a second chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

In this case he doesn't deserve a second chance, he made outrages statements, then after he was deluged with comments from gun owners he tried to cover his actions. Too late, Handgun Control has already used his comments to further their cause. He should never be able to work in the gun/hunting industry again and based on what Remington did to him today, he won't. Free speech is a wonderful thing, however, there are consequences, as mr Zumbo is starting to realize.

Please don't kick me off of this site or tar and feather me, but I seriously do not have a problem with what he says! I think he hit the nail on the head! It's MY personal opinion that I don't think they should be used for hunting and that is what I think HE is saying too. Don't know why people are getting so pissy about it.
confused.gif

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but that is the way I have read it and I agree with him. Please don't crucify me for saying that.

I've always liked Zumbo. He strikes me as the real deal, a guy in denim and a cowboy hat that has hunted the american west for a hell of a long time. I've always thought he was a class act, a great spokesman for hunting, and I'd hunt with him any day.
I totally disagree with what he says about "terrorist" guns and I cant believe he would actually put that in print, but as long as it ends there I agree with DOR, the guy deserves a second chance. I wouldnt lump him in with Houston and Gentry, I'd be pretty surprised if you ever caught Zumbo shooting anything in a 3 acre pen. Having a dumb opinion on a topic isnt the same thing as having questionable ethics, IMHO.

I gotta admit though, it does seem incredibly dumb for someone who makes a living off of the 2nd ammendment to suggest any firearm be banned.
confused.gif

Top Bottom