Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

“I SHOULD BE ABLE TO HUNT MY LAND AS NR EVERY YEAR!!!”

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
This comment is prevalent in social media to iowa. & we all know: I love my NR buddies. & I understand some frustrations of access or tags …. There’s levels of frustration right now for ANY hunters with all the dynamics.
TO THAT STATEMENT…. It kinda ticks me off because it’s so misleading!!! & doesn’t tell the whole story.
-YOU CAN HUNT HERE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! U can shoot unlimited does & bucks with party hunting. Every year. You can draw a 3 week long ML tag almost yearly. Use a bow if u want. I know lot of folks who do this.
-can small game hunt. Turkey hunt. Trap. Get doe tag & deer hunt. The only thing they can’t do is shoot a buck in the exact season of their choice (unless it’s gun or late ML which u can use a bow).

What’s not considered in this statement is:
-these folks have more habitat & deer in the states they reside in & complain about hunting iowa.
-they don’t pay income tax to the tune of 3-7% depending on tax bracket. They don’t vote here. They are not citizens of this state.
-access to quality land is the #1 issue causing residents to quit & packing our public lands. Public being dead last in the nation for amount.
-they could move here.
-PLEASE!!! Fix your own states!!! Fix the broken states you are fleeing. Before ruining ours with your demands!!!
Again- I am NOT railing on NR’s!!!! Love u guys!!!! I’m railing against the current comments all over social media that’s pure ignorance!!! “We contributed to your economy”. …. OK- your 2 week visit is nice for motels, restaurants & gas stations (or whatever. Great). But just like in their state: residents fund these things 365 days a year. Residents buy all their gear in their home states (this is any state). Residents are the lifeblood to the economies. I say the same thing as I travel to KS as a NR…. I didn’t buy my gear or most anything in KS. I’m traveling there to shoot a buck, which is a luxury. & I’m not controlling deer #’s like residents. I appreciate KS welcoming me on occasion… I am NOT going to make demands for them to change their regs to better accommodate ME. I’m not entitled & I want KS to prioritize res or make the regs.
Again, please understand, not knocking NR’s. Just this silly argument that’s extremely common right now. To anyone in any state: it’s a luxury for NR’s to travel to u to recreate. It’s a necessity for the residents. Hunting or fishing. We need to get back on track with proper facts in these debates.
RANT DONE. ;).

Buy land in Kansas instead. You are guaranteed a tag every year. Our state is ruined already. Come here and save Iowans the trouble. If Iowa is first in lack of public land, we must be second. I beg you come here…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Deleted by Rous14
Show…
Buy land knowing the rules then complain and try to change the rules. Welcome to the world we live in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would only point out that this forum is full of posts from residents that have bought/own land in IA that want or advocate for changing rules and laws that they feel would be beneficial.

Without wading in to this discussion that has been had many times on here over the years (that I see both sides of) i just think the “you know the rule or law, don’t come here if you don’t like it” argument is a really bad one imo. Bit of a double standard imo

It’s a vacation. Having a beach house, timeshare, mtn cabin, etc… is no different. You follow that localities rules while your visiting, like them or not. If not, most would buy somewhere more accommodating to what they want. We choose to live here even though we don’t necessarily have to.

Iowa encourages residency, they want you tax $$$.

Skip,

End of Rant????? Please do not ever stop your rants. I actually learn a lot from your rants and then share that information with my WI buddies who think I have it made since I packed my bags and moved from WI to IA. They think there are booners behind every tree and that Iowans are spoiled. I tell them Wisconsin could be 10x BETTER than Iowa because of all of the habitat it has compared to Iowa. I then suggested start with one thing and fight to have gun season replicate Iowas….have it in December. When I say that , their immediate replied “ You can’t change tradition!!!” This mentality is why I left. Rant on Skip…rant on!!!

Would only point out that this forum is full of posts from residents that have bought/own land in IA that want or advocate for changing rules and laws that they feel would be beneficial.

Without wading in to this discussion that has been had many times on here over the years (that I see both sides of) i just think the “you know the rule or law, don’t come here if you don’t like it” argument is a really bad one imo. Bit of a double standard imo
This is fair.
What we are really asking for …. “Leave our regs alone!!!! NO MORE ______”
Where the changing of regs comes in…. We have been degraded badly in last 10 years. We have had things added to our regs: more weapons, more seasons & more tags. So- many of us would like to remove some things to get back to the conservative regs of the past. Had our herd & landscape for hunters not been hurt - no one would be discussing this. Access is getting worse every year. Our public more crowded. Retainment of new hunters is hurting. Deer harvest is in half vs 2005. So- some balance is needed.
But yes, in reality- goal #1, period…. “Leave our regs alone!!!!” For last 10-15 years - they haven’t & many would like to dial some things back to give sone relief to our downward trajectory. Very fair post & appreciate the thought here.

The loophole of NR being able to shoot bucks with a doe tag during gun season is ridiculous! With the IBA and ISC having a full time lobbyist why can’t one or both organizations introduce a bill this year to change the rule?!?

Good time as ever to start playing offense instead of constantly playing defense? Thoughts

I’m now a resident of Iowa. I wasn’t always but I’m proud to be one now. The same should apply for residents. Why should I be able to party hunt with a doe tag and kill multiple bucks? I don’t agree with it. Have a buck tag to shoot a buck, R or NR.

Last edited:
I’m now a resident of Iowa. I wasn’t always but I’m proud to be one now. The same should apply for residents. Why should I be able to party hunt with a doe tag and kill multiple bucks? I don’t agree with it. Have a buck tag to shoot a buck, R or NR.
I will probably catch some flack for this but as a resident I can’t agree more. The loophole is way to big and needs to be changed. Hunt with your tag only or not at all. It gets abused every year.

I will probably catch some flack for this but as a resident I can’t agree more. The loophole is way to big and needs to be changed. Hunt with your tag only or not at all. It gets abused every year.
At the very least you need to have a license, not a tag if party hunting, for the deer you shoot. I always thought that was the way it was supposed to be, but have since learned I was wrong. I know a lot of people abuse this and it sucks. Nothing to stop shotgun groups for strategizing where half the group gets buck tags for first season and the other half second. Thus hurting access even more. This loophole needs fixed.

I used to think a NR landowner should get a tag, but at this point Iowa land is so high and getting split up….I’m staying away from that argument!

If it becomes so difficult to own land in Iowa, I’ll buy a farm in South Dakota or Kansas. No worries either way. It’s been a great investment!

Keep up the fight Skip !!

Last edited:
Skip,

End of Rant????? Please do not ever stop your rants. I actually learn a lot from your rants and then share that information with my WI buddies who think I have it made since I packed my bags and moved from WI to IA. They think there are booners behind every tree and that Iowans are spoiled. I tell them Wisconsin could be 10x BETTER than Iowa because of all of the habitat it has compared to Iowa. I then suggested start with one thing and fight to have gun season replicate Iowas….have it in December. When I say that , their immediate replied “ You can’t change tradition!!!” This mentality is why I left. Rant on Skip…rant on!!!
“Our state has traditionally sucked….. so we have to keep it that way!!!” That point (slightly adjusted ;) ) is one I’ve heard out of MI, WI, MN, MO, etc. Because: one day in time some politicians or dnr picked a date on a calendar & that has stayed the “correct date” in every state & any case. It has to be the most short sighted argument I’ve ever come across. Magically, all of these states have it perfectly!! Yet- the states that have changed things: Indiana to 1 buck. PA with their changes in 2000’s & a few others all have changed their regs to betterment of resource & vast majority wouldn’t change it back. I totally understand the stubborn generation & unwillingness to change. Doesn’t make them right. Any state can measure their results against their neighbors.
There’s zero doubt Iowa’s regulations are far superior to neighbors on almost any metric a person could assess: balanced age class, breaking seasons up to spread pressure out, chances at a mature buck, retention of hunters, access to quality land (hurting but still better than neighbors). Kansas has its issues but again- cross the magic lines into OK, MO & NE - it’s degraded in each case. 1 buck & late gun season.
No state has a patent or monopoly on good management. Why states don’t copy more successful models is mind boggling. Even the biology & science behind it…. Some states are making horrible management decisions over science for the reason of “we are just stubborn”.

This will continue to have consequences good or bad depending on states making common sense changes. If all these states continue to ruin their potential due to “tradition” …. The hunters will continue to quit. The serious hunters will continue to flee to other states. These other states can’t take them all on. Iowa & kansas draw times will continue to get longer. Something’s gotta give. & it could start any of with a dozen states making a 14 day adjustment on a calendar. Or adjusting so hunters shoot 1 buck & some does to fill the freezer. Such common sense… hard to change but it can. It must. Otherwise we’ll continue to see states like MI say “25 years, 1/3rd the hunters quit” & the forces that want to exploit iowa and kansas just get worse until the ruin those states if gone unchecked. Won’t happen. Other states need to realize their old tired arguments are making their states & management worse. We see the results of stubborn positions & it’s clearly time for change.

The loophole of NR being able to shoot bucks with a doe tag during gun season is ridiculous! With the IBA and ISC having a full time lobbyist why can’t one or both organizations introduce a bill this year to change the rule?!?

Good time as ever to start playing offense instead of constantly playing defense? Thoughts
I agree 100%. The one thing that makes people from all over the USA want to hunt Iowa is our great age structure. We have larger bucks than almost every other state because our regulations mostly promote age structure. Everytime a new regulation is added making hunting easier ( party hunting, crossbows, baiting in season, rifles, shotguns during the rut, NR landowners allowed to hunt like residents ,etc), it hurts the age structure. Increasing outfitter tags or allowing more NR hunters also decrease age structure because more bucks get shot, mostly immature ones. People come to hunt with an outfitter to shoot something, not to pass it so another hunter can shoot it next year...I guess what I'm saying is any change like those I mentioned hurts what makes Iowa so great. If lawmakers want to keep Iowa great like it is now, they need to not allow negative regulation changes or they need to actually tighten regulations.

Remember Friends of Iowa. Are they still around??
I didn't know about the muzzleloader option. Are there non residents that come hunt that every year?
FOI are gone. They tried to buy us off with lobbying & political donations. That group is gone but there’s many others that will spend $ to do same thing. Why ISC & IBA need funded. Then we had the ONE GUY spending probably $70k-$100k to change our regs. Unreal. Many states might have sell outs in em & cave- not iowa!!!

ML - yep- every year. Every other at worst. Many guys I know “bow hunt” for 3 weeks a year!!! I know a few that as NR’s shoot 1 buck party hunting & shoot a buck during ML season. It’s rare & not a huge issue. But it sure shuts down the argument “I can’t hunt every year” which is garbage.

This comment is prevalent in social media to iowa. & we all know: I love my NR buddies. & I understand some frustrations of access or tags …. There’s levels of frustration right now for ANY hunters with all the dynamics.
TO THAT STATEMENT…. It kinda ticks me off because it’s so misleading!!! & doesn’t tell the whole story.
-YOU CAN HUNT HERE EVERY YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!! U can shoot unlimited does & bucks with party hunting. Every year. You can draw a 3 week long ML tag almost yearly. Use a bow if u want. I know lot of folks who do this.
-can small game hunt. Turkey hunt. Trap. Get doe tag & deer hunt. The only thing they can’t do is shoot a buck in the exact season of their choice (unless it’s gun or late ML which u can use a bow).

What’s not considered in this statement is:
-these folks have more habitat & deer in the states they reside in & complain about hunting iowa.
-they don’t pay income tax to the tune of 3-7% depending on tax bracket. They don’t vote here. They are not citizens of this state.
-access to quality land is the #1 issue causing residents to quit & packing our public lands. Public being dead last in the nation for amount.
-they could move here.
-PLEASE!!! Fix your own states!!! Fix the broken states you are fleeing. Before ruining ours with your demands!!!
Again- I am NOT railing on NR’s!!!! Love u guys!!!! I’m railing against the current comments all over social media that’s pure ignorance!!! “We contributed to your economy”. …. OK- your 2 week visit is nice for motels, restaurants & gas stations (or whatever. Great). But just like in their state: residents fund these things 365 days a year. Residents buy all their gear in their home states (this is any state). Residents are the lifeblood to the economies. I say the same thing as I travel to KS as a NR…. I didn’t buy my gear or most anything in KS. I’m traveling there to shoot a buck, which is a luxury. & I’m not controlling deer #’s like residents. I appreciate KS welcoming me on occasion… I am NOT going to make demands for them to change their regs to better accommodate ME. I’m not entitled & I want KS to prioritize res or make the regs.
Again, please understand, not knocking NR’s. Just this silly argument that’s extremely common right now. To anyone in any state: it’s a luxury for NR’s to travel to u to recreate. It’s a necessity for the residents. Hunting or fishing. We need to get back on track with proper facts in these debates.
RANT DONE. ;)

FOI are gone. They tried to buy us off with lobbying & political donations. That group is gone but there’s many others that will spend $ to do same thing. Why ISC & IBA need funded. Then we had the ONE GUY spending probably $70k-$100k to change our regs. Unreal. Many states might have sell outs in em & cave- not iowa!!!

ML - yep- every year. Every other at worst. Many guys I know “bow hunt” for 3 weeks a year!!! I know a few that as NR’s shoot 1 buck party hunting & shoot a buck during ML season. It’s rare & not a huge issue. But it sure shuts down the argument “I can’t hunt every year” which is garbage.

Amen!!!

Top Bottom