Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

10 pt bruiser

derickson5

forum
forum
forum
Ended up with a flat tire on my way to meet with the best hunting partner ever, my dad. It was Saturday afternoon and in small town iowa no businesses are open on Sunday, and my car was sitting along side the interestate. My dad volunteered to come pick me up and get my tire fixed since nothing would be open the next day and I cant get out into the bush as easily as he can (I have to drive 1.5 hrs.). I hadn't been out this year so I spent my first hour or so moving my stand down about 20yds onto a trail I have been observing for the last few years from my previous stand location. After getting that all situated I decided I had made enough commotion in that part of the timber for the day and migrated over to my oldmans stand. As the sun began to creep low on the horizon I saw 3 separte doe fawn pairs exit an adjacent timber and wander down by my stand, and then up into the timber I was sitting in. Darkness would soon set in but i decided give the horns a last rattle. 5 minutes later I saw a big bodied buck on the making its way toward me. Due to the lack of light I couldnt get a good rack judgment through the binox, but stood up and drew back while he was at 50 yards. Cautiously he worked his way to about 20 yards and while he was on a slow walk I let it fly. I heard the thud but he didnt even react to the shot and walked about forty yards and appeared to be eating. At this point I second guessed my shot placement and even if I had hit him at all. After waiting 10 min the sun was completely gone and it was dark. I decided to approach where I had last see him. As i turned the corner i heard some rustling and saw a big whitetail run up into the timber. I walked the 2 miles back to the house and meet up with dad, who had been able to get out to another timber for a few hours. He said that we should just wait til morning to go track him. After a restless night we got up with the sun and went to look for him, the old man told me to keep an eye out for coyotes. Sure enough I saw a coyote prancing through the timber on my way in, and so I kept my distance and followed him. He went right to the area that I had last seen the buck. I looped around hoping to get a shot at the coyote. I crouched down and drew back, the coyote poped his head into the only shooting lane I had and I hesitated for a split second and he saw me and ran off. So I got up went over to where I thought the coyote was and 40 yards from my oldman's stand he laid. First bow buck after 8 seasons. not the biggest one i have shot at but couldnt pass him up. 6 in base mass! Thought I better mount him considering I shot him out of dads stand.
forum

forum
forum
forum

Last edited:
favorite part of that story is "the best hunting partner ever, My dad"...

great bowkill, glad you found him with the help of ol willy coyote:D

Top Bottom