Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

170s season

muddy

My buddy is quite busy in the fields right now so he called me and said to post some kill shots from this season for him.

Curt and I had a short hunt on May 5th. We both had 4th season tags and was going to hunt Saturday morning, but the weather was shitty so we passed on that idea. Sunday morning was foggy and slightly misty, but much better than Saturday so we headed to one of our favorite spots. After getting out of the truck around 5:30am I knew we were running late as a couple gobblers sounded off to our north. A short hike later and we were setup between what sounded like 2 toms. Not long after setup we could tell they were on the ground and hammering to the calls. At 6:10am one lone tom showed up from the north, then 3 more showed up from the south. We let them parade around the decoys for awhile when Curt decided to hammer one. Two of the others took off but one stayed so I handed Curt the camera, I grabbed his gun and filled my last tag of the year. Time was 6:18am and just like that we were done. The worst part about a wet damn turkey is trying to make them look good in a pic. We snapped a few with our phones on a nearby bridge and called it good.

It's been a good year, and hopefully if I find time I try and get my grandpa and cousin on another bird.

A couple pics of the wet suckers!

Good luck to you guys still out hunting, time to get some farm work done, if it ever drys up :way: :drink2::drink1:

Had a good couple of days hunting this past Friday and Saturday and killed 6 toms in 2 days.

Friday morning Curt took my Dad and his cousin's husband (Ross) out to a new spot we knew could be good. With the temps in the low 20's and high winds I didn't expect a whole lot of action out of them, but it wasn't long when my phone buzzed with a pic message of my Dad with a big gobbler. Curt said 2 big toms came in on a string and my Dad piled his and Ross missed his :thrwrck:. Curt was pissed that he missed the chip shot but hit the roads looking for another one to chase. About 9 they spotted a lonely strutter in a cattle pasture. A short stalk later behind "Teeroy" our decoy, and Ross had his bird; another solid Tom.

Ross and my Dad

Saturday morning, I took my Dad's cousin (Paul) to one of our good spots and Curt again went back to the spot he hunted the morning before. The morning was awesome despite being a little cold. It wasn't long at around 6:30 and I received a pic message from Curt with a big gobbler with an arrow sticking out of him. Curt smoked one as he snuck in to Teeroy.

In the meantime I was watching a good group of birds across a river bottom and hoping I could get one called across. About the same time Curt sent me the message I had one lone tom work into the field across the river. He was with a group of about 6 hens so I was unsure if he would work in or not. It wasn't long and another big tom flew across and the fight was on between the two. The second tom was the victor of the fight and the 1st slowly worked into the timber. After about a half hr of calling, I convinced the big guy to come into my dekes. After asking Paul if he wanted to shoot, he said no you take him. I let the arrow fly and hit him perfect; he didn't go 10 yds.

My turk laying dead in the dekes

After I shot mine, I was hopeful the 1st tom would come back but he didn't. There were still however, 4-5 toms across the river and I knew we may be able to get one in for Paul. After 2 hrs of calling, I did just that and Paul hammered one about 9am.

Here's the pic of Curt's, Paul's, and My Toms

The best hunt was probably Saturday afternoon when I took my Grandpa. He is now 76 and showing no signs of slowing down. This year he was convinced he was going to shoot one with a Crossbow. I knew I had my work cut out, but was confident I'd get him a shot. About 4pm we got setup in my favorite afternoon spot. After calling off and on for 2 hrs, nothing had showed up except for a lone hen. About 6pm I spotted two strutters in the neighbors pasture. They were a good 1/2-3/4 mile away and I wasn't hopeful they would make it in by sunset. With the distance they were out there we just watched them for about a half hr. The wind was out of the east and they were to our west, so I scratched my slate call as loud as I could and would watch them continue to strut. Knowing there was nothing to lose, I told my Grandpa I was going to get them. I baled out of the blind grabbed Teeroy and started there way. After a 15 minute crawl behind Teeroy I got to where they could see me and called a few times. One of the big toms was already coming, so I shuffled back to the blind just in time and out of breath to let my grandpa know they were coming. 2 minutes later and the strutter was in our lap and at a mere 6 steps my grandpa hammered him with his crossbow at 7pm. He was in disbelief that the gobbler came that far. We high fived and celebrated his 1st crossbow turkey and probably the best scoring turkey of the weekend.

The entrance wound from the 2 blade rage was unbelievable

The hero shot along with Teeroy in the background.

Hopefully we will get out to kill a few more, but if the weather gets any better we will probably be getting field work done.

Great season muddy! I also used the two blade rage and loved them. I didn't know a turkey could leave such a blood trail.

Top Bottom