Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

209 Muzzleloader Primers

OHIOshedder

Anyone experiment with the special 209 primers made for muzzleloaders or the adapters that let you use smaller primers in 209-ready guns? After reading how various typical 209 primers can put out large pressures that can unseat the load before igniting the powder, I'm thinking this might be part of the cure for the occasional flyer shot.

I'm still using regular old 209's but several buds were using the new style in their Thompsons this year. They all made the switch and say they're the best thing since sliced bread. Sorry about the hearsay but it's all I got.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Iowabowtech</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm still using regular old 209's but several buds were using the new style in their Thompsons this year. They all made the switch and say they're the best thing since sliced bread. Sorry about the hearsay but it's all I got. </div></div>

whats the name of those primers? and where might i find them??? i too heard of these but have yet to try them out....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or Winchester triple se7ens. </div></div>

Those are what I'm using now. That's what wal-mart or theisens had

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I may try some as well but the winchester .209s have been working fine for me. </div></div> /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

whats the name of those primers? and where might i find them??? i too heard of these but have yet to try them out.... </div></div>

Don't know but I sent an e-mail to one of the guys who was using them, should hear back tomorrow. What I do know is they were WAY more quiet than my Remington 209's. About a 99.9% chance they got them from Boyd so maybe he can shed some light if he spots this before I hear back.

In my opinion pretty much all of these 209 primers are made for shotgun shells and are adapted for muzzleloaders. It has been a few years since I have really reloaded shotshells but for 20 plus years I never shot a factory load. Back then the Federal primers were considered the hottest and usually produced the highest pressures. After that came the Remington, then the CCI and the Winchester were considered slowest and normally gave the lowest pressures, but also left more unburned powder residue. I have to believe that this still pretty much holds true now. I have used Federal and Remington and Winchester primers in my Knight and really don't see any discernable difference between any of them. Any one who is shooting pellets would really have to prove any difference to me as the fluctuation in the pellets would have to be much more of a factor than any small differences in primers, at least that is what I believe.

tlambert- those T/C primers are one of the 'special' muzzleloader primers I referred to. Cabelas also sells a kit where you can make your own adapter to shoot smaller caliber primers. There is a good writeup in last month's Deer and Deer Hunting magazine about various shotgun primer pressures. I've heard alot of the same from experienced muzzleloader shooters (which I'm not) but always looking to improve my groups..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any one who is shooting pellets would really have to prove any difference to me as the fluctuation in the pellets would have to be much more of a factor than any small differences in primers, at least that is what I believe. </div></div>

Nailed it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Dang I'm in the minority here. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif
A sharp rock or number 11 caps have worked flawlessly for me since 1974. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
In all seriousness though, in my line of work I have to keep up on all the latest stuff. Some things are legit and some are the latest gimmick. The general thought on this subject at work are, run what you brung. No big differences.
Although large rifle primers and shotgun primers have been used on muzzle loaders by a few folks since the 1880's, there could be some merit in them. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Your mileage my vary.

I use 777 primers. I think they say for muzzleloading rifles on them. I was having a problem with the old .209 primers buring too hot. They created too much residue in the bottom of the barrel making it difficult to load another shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

whats the name of those primers? and where might i find them??? i too heard of these but have yet to try them out.... </div></div>

They were the 777's.

Top Bottom